Exploring Middle Earth - The One Ring - DIMO

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2003   #1
Exploring Middle Earth - The One Ring - DIMO

Hi,

Do you remember the prologue of the Fellowship? Galadriel says:
"... And the Ring was picked up by the most unlikely creature imaginable..." or something like that.
This always made me guessing what the most unlikely creature might be - and then i saw this IceAge DVD again...

Ok, here's my idea:

The most unlikely creature imaginable on MiddleEarth - scrat - comes to the dark realm of gollum. For some strange reason it carries a nut. And then it finds the ring! And the ring says: "Put me on!"
But for scrat's simple mind this can only mean "Put me on that nut!" And so he does and immediately the infamous terror of the One Ring starts - for scrat: His nut vanishes!

I know taking a character like scrat, which is famous for perfect animation, is for many reasons a bad decision. I just won't reach that level of perfection. But the idea just burned itself into my brain and now i simply can't resist. But i promise I will take this serious and do my best.

And here's a first storyboard:

Old 01 January 2003   #2
Thats funny!

I think they where refering to Gollum or Bilbo as being the most unlikely creature to pick up the ring. Could be wrong though.

Still a good idea for the contest all the same, thing ring has had many owners I suppose.

Last edited by Corn Dog : 01 January 2003 at 11:38 PM.

Old 01 January 2003   #3
Storyreel

Yeah,

you are probably right. I think they meant a hobbit.
However here's the storyboard in action.

I know my server is slow, so if you can, go for the divx

Storyreel - Divx5.02 - 76kB

Storyreel - qt Sorensen3 - 646kB

cu

DIMO

Last edited by DIMO : 01 January 2003 at 12:07 AM.

Old 01 January 2003   #4
haha that was funny.

Old 01 January 2003   #5
I like it, a little off topic with the inclusion of scat, but it would be very funny.

Vertex

Old 01 January 2003   #6
Hah, thats a really great idea, and you're right, he probably is the most unlikely creature imaginable to find the one ring.

After seeing Ice age so many times I have his movements buzzing around in my head. This will certainly be a hard one to pull off, but if you can it will look amazing. Seeing skrat put the ring on hte nut and it disapearing and him going crazy would be hilarious. Good luck.

Old 01 January 2003   #7
Hi,

I'm still undecided about wether scrat should first put the nut down, then take the ring and try to slip it over the nut or if he just rams the nut into the ring.
I like the idea of scrat holding the ring in his hands and smiling. But I don't know if I have enough time for all the action of dropping the nut and taking the ring.

Any comments?

Old 01 January 2003   #8
Model

Ok,

I quite finished the model now. I will segment it later when I know where my bones will be. But first I will model some blendshapes.

Cheers,

Old 01 January 2003   #9
Hey,
Great Scrat model.
Good luck animating him in that Blue Sky/ Warner Bros style.

Old 01 January 2003   #10
Ok,

I spent some time modeling all necessary blendshapes. Here are my favourite ones:

Cheers.

visit my developer blog: http://www.dimo3d.blogspot.com

Last edited by DIMO : 01 January 2003 at 03:06 PM.

Old 01 January 2003   #11
Funny idea, love your storyboard.

Old 01 January 2003   #12
Well Done !!
Nice model DIMO
I was using the second idea if I was u !! (put the nut in the Ring )
I think you have enough time for both !! But I prefer , that the scrat picks the Ring with One hand (while holding the nut with the other) & smiles then drop the Ring and try to put the nut in ! (because he loves the nut more than the Ring ! )
Ok , it was just an idea ... sorry , Never Mind if you don't like it , I know you know more than me

Sinerely
Reza Misaghi

Old 01 January 2003   #13
Great idea!
Scrat holding both the nut and the ring and weighting wich one he loves more. And then having the idea to put the nut into the ring.
I will think about that.

Old 01 January 2003   #14
And here is my segmented character

Now I can start thinking about my character rig. But for today its enough and I will watch Ice Age another round

Old 01 January 2003   #15
Since the story of Scrat is that he always loses his nut, (I think)you should have him walking all happy with his nut, sees the ring, wants to pick it up so he tentatively puts the nut down, picks the ring up and tries to put it on himself (like a crown or collar... whatever), the ring pops off him (somehow) and lands on the nut making it invisible and starts it rolling (see tracks in snow), scrat dives at where he thinks it is (big puff of snow) they tumble to a grassy area. He sits up, looks around cant see any hint of his nut. Crys.

share thread