CGTalk > Software > Maxon Cinema 4D
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 07-16-2006, 09:30 AM   #1
Sindala
Dick Floris
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Incorrect file structure

I searched the forum and found some posts about this error. I set up this file yesterday, and today it gives this error. Is it still unfixable??

Old 07-16-2006, 06:02 PM   #2
Srek
Some guy

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Björn Dirk Marl
Technical Design
Maxon Computer GmbH
Friedrichsdorf, Germany

Hi,
this can be caused by many things, most of them hardware or operating system related.
A general soltuion is not available and most often the file is lost.
You might like to check your chipset drivers.
Cheers
Björn

Old 09-28-2006, 07:58 AM   #3
perpen
ex-La Banda de la Toti
portfolio
Daniel Rivas Perpén
Sensorial Surroundings
Zug, Switzerland

Hello,
I had just that same problem. Yesterday it worked, this morning it cannot open it. The only thing that changed from yesterday to this morning is that I corrected a wrong path of a plugin (Messiah connection) that was giving me an error message on the Cinema 4D splash screen.

So I have just put the wrong path again, I get the plugin error message again, but the file now opens! (?)

Old 09-30-2006, 11:52 AM   #4
mnemoniq
Danyl
France

small solution !!!

hey;

Try to open that c4d file in a fresh installation of cinema 4D (without plugin or other) !!!

I have two installation of C4D in different directory, the second installation is by default and the other for my work and my preference.

sorry for my bad english

Old 10-01-2006, 03:33 AM   #5
Vozzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by perpen
Hello,
I had just that same problem. Yesterday it worked, this morning it cannot open it. The only thing that changed from yesterday to this morning is that I corrected a wrong path of a plugin (Messiah connection) that was giving me an error message on the Cinema 4D splash screen.

So I have just put the wrong path again, I get the plugin error message again, but the file now opens! (?)

That is really cool

I'll just watch this thread to see if there isa rational reason behind this.

Old 10-01-2006, 04:17 AM   #6
Per-Anders
helper bunny

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Per-Anders Edwards
Developer
The Third Party
USA

One of the reasons why this would happen is if a plugin is set up to load or save itself and it's data with a scene, this can happen with a few plugin types in cinema, most notably the "SceneHooks" which is a sort of document expression that runs constantly but is hidden from the user, "Objects", "Tags" and "Videopost" plugins will too, and others too have this facility, however if you can't see anything directly related to this plugin in your scene then chances are it's either a SceneHook or what's called an "Inherent" videopost effect (which is basically a hidden videopost).

What could be happening? Basically every plugin that can save or load it's data can return a false value, it does this when it has an error, this can occur when developers incorrectly store data on save, because the important thing is the same amount of data needs to be written to the file as read.

Seems a bit screwy? Well in fact it's quite simple, imagine this super simplified situation :

A developer writes a plugin that gives you the middle point between two other points that the user puts in. Now lets say the user sets one point but doesn't bother with the other. The plugin developer thinks he can be clever and avoid storing that extra data from the second point as it's not been set. So when Cinema comes to save he writes the first point to the file, but skips the second point, sounds fair enough? Well... no it'll mess everything up, because when the user comes to load in that file again the plugin doesn't now know that the second point hasn't been stored, so it tries to read that first point, and that loads fine, then it tries to read the second point... but there's no point there (instead there's probably data from the next plugin along that's written its stuff to the file), and that's when an error will occur.

Why does it cause an error? Imagine the cinema file as a piece of string, and each bit of data, e.g. a vector, a bool, an integer, a character fills up a certain length of that string, e.g. a vector might fill up three cm of that string while a real value fills up only one cm. It all fits, but it's all stored as binary data, so on it's own it's meaningless. What cinema does is it reads along through the file a certain distance at a time, it then converts that snippet into the correct type of information, e.g. a vector. To save of file-size rather than storing what each type of data is that is going to follow Cinema asks the plugin that's doing the loading at the time to tell it how long it should be. Now you can imagine that if a plugin doesn't tell it the right information then when it tries to convert the data into something meaningful, e.g. a vector or an integer value and the data is meant to be a real or a matrix or something else then it's going to come out as gargled garbage! That's when an error will occur and that's why it can't carry on reading the file typically in that situation.

There are other things that can cause this too, e.g. if new data is added to new revisions of a plugin over time, and the developer doesn't use the "level" value correctly, it can cause a similar effect. Then again there are also thousands of other situations that could occur however from the description this is the most likely.

Now as to why it now works, or even why it might work if you remove the plugins. Well if you remove a plugin then when cinema comes to the bit that the plugin would load normally if it can't find the plugin it simply skips it, hence the file will load (with just an error saying that it's not working). Why it would work in this instance because of an incorrect path? Then there's a good chance that it's what i said above, of course there are many other things it could be, but that's an educated guess.

Old 10-01-2006, 04:17 AM   #7
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread