comic style piece: comments welcome

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2003
comic style piece: comments welcome

hey all i'm a cgtalk newbie brought in by davidingi. got a tablet finally for christmas and whipped up an image. dont know if it will post.

anyway, really love the atmosphere in these forums and love the artwork just as much.

looking forward to enjoying this site
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ww.jpg (25.4 KB, 281 views)

01 January 2003
This is really nice i love the feel.. the look! every thing, very comic strip like, i love it

01 January 2003
nice one! I love what you did with her hair

~Drawing is telling people something without using words. It is communicating ideas, thoughts and feelings to others with your hands... It is baring a part of your soul to the world... So mean what you draw. Or don't draw at all.~

01 January 2003
thanks Lindy! i was worried about the hair b/c by the time i got to it i started to tire. some things wrong i think the small pic hides

i went to your website. fantastic stuff! love the deadpool!

01 January 2003
that's 'Psyk' to you, mister!

hehe... I couldn't tell that you got 'tired' when you did her hair... yah, could be that the picture is small

Deadpool rocks but sometimes, he just talks too darned much.

~Drawing is telling people something without using words. It is communicating ideas, thoughts and feelings to others with your hands... It is baring a part of your soul to the world... So mean what you draw. Or don't draw at all.~

01 January 2003
nice picture, but a few things seem a little funny to me.

first is the cropping, it's a bit close and restricting. it doesn't allow for any idea of what she's doing in such a dramatic pose.

second is the pose itself, her leg is too high. the posturing is too extreme for this composition. maybe play it down a little bit, or introduce some environment elements to indicate why she is adopting such an uncomfortable and unbalanced pose.

the third is her expression, it's somewhere between worried and determined.

these are all fairly easy things to fix. i'd suggest you take in a lot of dramatic comics, particularly marvel and dc (if you don't already) look at how the good artists (they're not all good) frame their subjects in the space. look at how they use negative space as a element of composition and always try to tell a story element in an action scene (rather than just depicting the action itself).

hope this helps!

01 January 2003
sorry lin--- er Psyk! Psyk it is!

and puddle thanks for the constructive words. i do tend to overplay the pose b/c i do have trouble capturing the drama. years of trying to get technical anatomy and color down bred weakness in other areas. ill keep it mind in future pics

01 January 2003
It's a very beautiful piece of work. However, Is it just me....but doesn't that one leg look a bit short compared to the other? I mean if it was a foreshortened leg I wouldn't be complaining.

01 January 2003
yeah theres supposed to be some perspective in the raised leg. i hope i didnt mess up the foreshortening

01 January 2003
Looks very cool, nice style.

There are some things that sort of bug me. I agree with puddlefish's comments about the cropping and expression.

Also, the far leg looks a little too wide. and if you ment for the foreleg to becoming out towards the viewer with foreshortening, then it should be in FRONT of the arm, this would give her more twist in her torso and be a much more dynamic pose (in my opinion).

This isn't to say it's not gorgeous, I like it. Just some things seem odd to me, keep up the good work,

Neal Holman

PS I think her left arm is two long (the outstretched one).

01 January 2003
It is not that obvious. I think it works.

01 January 2003
Here's an example you can take a look at where the artist has some foreshortening going on from a more "frontal perspective", although I'm not positive this is any more correct just being a casual observer lol:

http://forums.endless-stupidity.com...oads/Aeril1.jpg

To me it seems that I should be looking at her leg from the side which should show the full length of it.

01 January 2003
very nice picture...and booty hehehe

01 January 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread