Following tutorial - Don't quite understand this step

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2006
Following tutorial - Don't quite understand this step

Hi all

I'm very new to drawing and currently I am focusing on drawing heads, but I'm having a bit of trouble trying to figure out a technique for drawing at a 3/4 angle.

So I found this tutorial through CGTalk which is the type of guide to proportions I was looking for, but I am a bit confused by step 1
I know the tutorial isn't from here, but I was hoping that with the expertise around here most people would understand what the author was trying to get across.

Simply, when you draw a circle at the start, I get that you draw a horizontal and vertical line following the shape of a sphere and make note of where the lines cross. But it then goes on to add a third line which marks where the ear should be (and thus the start of the jawline). I'm confused as to how you figure out where this ear/jaw line is supposed to go.

So that line in the second step, is it just placed wherever looks correct, or is there a technique that you are all familiar with which denotes its placement?

If anyone can give me a hand to understand what the author is trying to say I’ll be very grateful

Thanks

[edit - fixed a typo]

Last edited by WeetBix : 07 July 2006 at 03:11 AM.

07 July 2006
Hello WeetBix,

I made a hack animated gif that shows the third line forming.

The author refers to the recommended books which cover all of that, especially the Loomis books. I remember there used to be online versions of the books here. http://www.saveloomis.org/

Below is the Loomis' diagram of a sphere.

Good luck.

07 July 2006
That's fantastic ekah!

Thanks very much

07 July 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread