Atlantis: Raine Kuusi: Civilization of Death

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2006   #1
Atlantis: Raine Kuusi: Culture of the Dead

newest update: my final piece I guess. Well I managed to do it then, a surprise. I'm not really happy with how this looks but oh well....

update: my final thumb! crits much welcome!

update: decided to at least nail the composition of my final piece, dunno which one..

hi guys!

I chose to go to another direction, I read from wikipedia that in Platos original tale of Atlantis (he invented the thing), people of Atlantis had first been noble and good, but became later greedy for lands. They attacked Athens, and Zeus destroyed their island as a punishment.

So I kinda thought that maybe Atlantis was corrupted BIG TIME! and as I was painting my Barrow Den sketch, and the den turned into a giant skull, I saw the potential and decided to use it. So this is the first concept sketch of some kind of a sacrificial pit that the people of Atlantis later had built for their strange rituals and stuff.

This is NOT a start of my matte painting, the painting will of course be horizontal and showing the city, not a single sacrificial pit, although I have plans to use the skull idea a lot more in the city design.

Stay tuned.. or if you have a life.. then.. not..... I guess..

Last edited by R-K : 08 August 2006 at 09:52 PM.

Old 07 July 2006   #2
this is looking good Ranath , cause' this is a mattepainting challenge try working in film aspect, horizontal, 16:9, HD , it will make you work in a better composition adding lots of elements to see

Old 07 July 2006   #3
Originally Posted by jamesvfx: this is looking good Ranath , cause' this is a mattepainting challenge try working in film aspect, horizontal, 16:9, HD , it will make you work in a better composition adding lots of elements to see

I guess my text part was intimidatingly long - I stated pretty clearly there that "This is NOT a start of my matte painting, the painting will of course be horizontal and showing the city"

This was just a concept sketch for an element that could appear in my matte painting.

but thanks anyways for the comment

Old 07 July 2006   #4
haha. well i read it and I think thats a good idea! all the other things of atlantis you think of are a glorious underwater city and wow its so amazing blah blah but you're right! i think that would be a great change and would really stand out! good luck and cant wait to see your finished product!

Old 07 July 2006   #5
hi guys! So I did another sketch, playing with different moods and color schemes for the matte. Of course there's no city yet to be seen - I wanna know first what the mood of the piece is gonna be like, before I can decide of the design and culture of Atlantis.

thx all for looking and comments

Last edited by R-K : 07 July 2006 at 07:59 PM.

Old 07 July 2006   #6
Good luck to you too! This last landscapeīs very cool
TWITTER

Old 07 July 2006   #7
I love the colors and composition of the second sketch but remember it has to be " underwater city" , great sketching technique by the way

Old 07 July 2006   #8
Man! Long time I didnīt see you. Good luck and nice start!

Old 07 July 2006   #9
I like your style in the last one. More more more !

Old 07 July 2006   #10
Originally Posted by jamesvfx: I love the colors and composition of the second sketch but remember it has to be " underwater city" , great sketching technique by the way

thanks, don't worry, I'll sink these islands in no time not that I was gonna use this one anyways, these are just concept paintings where I'm exploring mood and stuff.. they could even show dog running in park, if the mood was just right.. and if I could paint a dog

Gonzalo, rawwad, Reikon, thanks, good luck to you too

Old 07 July 2006   #11
update, composition, color and atmosphere thumbs:

Old 07 July 2006   #12
your last color sketches are great ! I wish to see any of them turning into a detailed matte painting , I'm sure those will rock !!

Old 07 July 2006   #13
I agree! Go for it! =)
TWITTER

Old 07 July 2006   #14
the second sketch is really good. keep it up.

Old 07 July 2006   #15
Dig the last one, with the ghostly light coming from under the ruins!! Keep up!

Thread Closed share thread