HairFX: Object hairs?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2006   #1
HairFX: Object hairs?

Is it possible to use Hairfx to generate a forest? Or, perhaps a field of wheat? Not just simple grass.

I can see this as being very useful in a number of different ways. If it could simply replace hairs with objects.

Any ideas?

Old 07 July 2006   #2
It's possible and very cool. Render times can get Long-long. Very long when instancing all that geometry. I like the randomness the hair modifier gives it vs. the particle spawn method.

There's a cool tutorial somewhere out there that involves vertex painting and creating environments with hair. Sorry but I forgot where it was. If you find it post me a link I'd like to see it again.

Old 07 July 2006   #3
I'm sorry I thought you might want to know how.

Hair modifier->Tools->Instance Node->Pick

Then choose the geometry you want. Make sure you have "Merge Material" box checked to pickup the material from your geometry.

There's a short tutorial in max for putting leaves on a dog within max.

Old 07 July 2006   #4
Should be pointed out that the above advice is for Max's hair rather than Hair:Fx

Old 07 July 2006   #5
Just to complicate things further, the Hair in Max 8 has problems with instanced objects (flipping normals, messing up mapping), which it doesn't have in 7.5.

- Steve

Old 07 July 2006   #6
I am avoiding MAX Hair like the plague. I really prefer HAIRFX. I do appreciate the suggestions.

I have been all over the Hair FX docs and haven't found anything related. Any MaxScript possibilities?

Old 07 July 2006   #7
I think the only way you could get close with HairFX would be messing with the shape profile, but you would be limited to flat trees. I think Blizzard used this method for the feathers on a crow in Warcraft.

You'd probably be better off using maybe a combination of Scatter for the closer trees and maybe something like the free version of Forest by Itoosoft, or facing particles to bulk out the distance.

Unfortunately, Max is a bit limited by RAM on the amount of geometry it can load for forests. If you have Vray, there is a proxy object which gets around this, but you can't use it for animated meshes.

Cheers

Steve

Old 07 July 2006   #8
Originally Posted by Matt-Clark: Should be pointed out that the above advice is for Max's hair rather than Hair:Fx

Oops...

Old 07 July 2006   #9
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread