Sketchbook Thread of BrianL

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2006   #1
Sketchbook Thread of BrianL

Just jumpin' in on the portrait exercise. Here's the first of hopefully many:

Old 06 June 2006   #2
and number 2:

Old 06 June 2006   #3
and the first part of number 3:

Old 06 June 2006   #4
Smile

brianl,

Welcome! Nice to see your participation in the 50 Portraits thread. Great work here! Looking forward to seeing much more.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 06 June 2006   #5
Thanks Rebecca =)

To You and anyone else who looks through this thread: Please Feel Free to make with the C&C
Brian

Old 06 June 2006   #6
i like #2!
that guy is telling me something,,, nice work..

Old 06 June 2006   #7
Thanks Strumkin

and here's #4:

Old 06 June 2006   #8
and #5: (just playin' with comic/cartoon flat coloring)

Old 07 July 2006   #9
brianl,

Good to see your new pieces. In honesty, I think that you will get more out of these digital pieces by painting in a realistic vs. a cartoon style, which by it's nature is more flat colored, which sort of works against the purpose of copying these highly realistic master works. Hope this makes sense! Your digital pencil piece is looking lovely. One thing you might try exploring is a bit of light cross hatching, to really build up areas of form more and add areas of subtle emphasis.

Looking forward to more of your work.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 07 July 2006   #10
Rebecca,

I agree. That was actually clear (at least for me) =)

While I desperately need practice in painting, my main goal is getting more accustomed to the forms of the head so that I can make better lookin' folks without reference. I guess you could say that I'm trying to build a mental library of faces.

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I promise to do the same soon in the main thread if nowhere else

Old 07 July 2006   #11
Your cartoon / line style is extremely sharp, I can see why Rebecca would recommend doing full up renderings as that'd be a much bigger challenge for you. That said #5 is bloody brilliant . Very nice interpretation of that one -- a modern technique, but it does capture a fair bit of the historical feel.

As you're looking for crit I'll take a shot, a lot of it comes down to taste though:

First one: Just a great job rendering the hair. Seems like the light/shadow work in the face is a bit of a let down after it. You've changed the eyes a lot, seems like the original had a fairly large surface vertically for the eyes to rest in and it made for a large amount of light interaction in the area. Feels a bit more cramped in your version.

Second: Yours has a ton of character in it, so this is mainly taste: I'm seeing the original with a tighter facial mass in general. The eyes in your's capture the same feel, but in a wider format. Your's feels more like someone I'd expect to see in life, but the original sculpt had a sharpness in the features which works really well for it.

Third: Love it. Changes on the left character make her more appealing. Right character is a great rendering. Be cool to see this one worked up if you find extra time

Fourth: Nice, his left eye reads a touch flat to me.

Just my opinions, but it sounded like you might be looking for some input. Great stuff, looking forward to watching your thread

Old 07 July 2006   #12
Kary,

Thank you ! That's the sort of stuff I hoping for Any and all comments to make me take a fresh look at the work can only help

Old 07 July 2006   #13
Smile

brianl,

The only way to make a mental library, as I'm sure you know, is to do lots and lots of studies, consistently over time. Will enjoy following your progress here.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 07 July 2006   #14
Next five are from today. I know they probably aren't as pretty as the first five, but at least my pen's movin'

Old 07 July 2006   #15
number seven

Thread Closed share thread