What do you think about these hardwares?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2003   #1
What do you think about these hardwares?

Hello everyone!

Since to do my 3D, I only have a PII 350Mhz, 64 meg of RAM and a Voodoo 3 2000, I thought I'd need some new pieces of hardware.

Could you please tell me if they're worth the buy?
-512 meg of SDRAM;
-Ti4200 Geforce 4;
-Intel Celeron Processor @ 1,7 Ghz.

But since my motheboard is really really old, do you think I would need a new motherboard? I don't think the one I currently have (6 years old) would support these...

Thank you!

Old 01 January 2003   #2
You would need a new motherboard for sure.

I'm not sure about performance increases though... sorry

Old 01 January 2003   #3
a P4 1.7GHz will be useless to you. they're based on the first generation P4 cores, and with the 400MHz FSB are pretty much useless. you want at least a northwood core, and the 533FSB if you can find them.

try for a P4 2.4B or 2.53 chip if you can afford it. these are much better.

also, if you are upgrading your motherboard, consider an athlon system instead. you can save a few dollars and still have yourself a damn fine box. there's pretty much a consensus on the athlonXP CPU and nforce2 motherboard combo as a great setup that's pretty easy on the wallet.

[EDIT]
you mentioned a celeron 1.7GHz!!! YUCK YUCK YUCK! stay well away from these.

and yes, you will certainly need a new motherboard. PII architecture is based on the old slot-1 motherboards, which will not take a socket CPU.

Last edited by elvis : 01 January 2003 at 12:36 AM.

Old 01 January 2003   #4
It sounds like your pretty caught for cash. The cheapest and fastest upgrade you can possibly go for is....

A k75SA ECS board... It goes for around 50 USD, and supports up to 2400+ XP's.

plus....

A 1700+ or 1800+ XP (These go for around 50 USD as well)...

The ECS board allows you to use your existing SDRAM. You will probably need a new power supply however, minimum of a 300 watt.

You can also look for nforce1 motherboards, as their pretty inexpensive. I guess it all comes down to how much budget you have to spend on a new machine. (As your upgrade routes are pretty much nil).

Old 01 January 2003   #5
I'd get:

http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishR.asp?ID=217722

Under $1000, fast (it's gonna make your 350 look like the true doorstop it is)

Others might have other suggestions for components, this would be the route I'd head if I were to by a new system today (lacks cd burner, mouse, keyboard, ect)

As mentioned, you're going to have to buy a whole new system. Any single upgrade will just get bottlenecked on one of the other older components, or not function/fit at all.

Old 01 January 2003   #6
Well first, thank you very much for your replies

Since there are some terms I'm not really familiar with, I will try to make a resume of what was said.

I will need a new motherboard for sure. I knew this was necessary, but I don't really know the mobos pretty well!

Best thing to do would be just to buy a new computer, maybe a clone, since I'll be able to have the pieces I want.

I have to stay away from Celeron, and I don't need the new P4 processors, because of the FSB (?). I also heard I had to stay away from packages, like HP or Compaq. (?)

Thanks!

Old 01 January 2006   #7
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread