The Gift - VFX Challenge - Astrofish

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2003   #1
The Gift - VFX Challenge - Astrofish

(Edit)

Here are the links to the final entry:
320x240 version (1MB) here

640x480 version (2MB) here

(end edit)
-----

Well I don't know if I've got time to have a proper go at this one, but I'll see how far I get.

I know what film I'll be watching tonight, anyway...

Good luck everyone.

Last edited by astrofish : 03 March 2003 at 03:31 PM.

Old 01 January 2003   #2
I've spent a few hours fiddling around with materials to see what sort of damaged flesh look I can come up with.

Here's a render showing my best results so far, applied to a test model.

(I didn't make the model, it's a poser 3 model with a poser 3 skeleton inside. I don't know if I'm going to keep either of these for the final).

The flesh consists of two layers, both using identical 3D noise shaders to determine coverage, except that they have different clipping thresholds set so that the patches of upper layer (normal skin) coverage are always surrounded by a region of the lower layer (bruised skin).

(BTW, no storyboard yet, but I'm going to try to do a version of the first disintegration in the film, where the guy's body basically just liquifies and his skeleton collapses...)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg test1.jpg (23.8 KB, 915 views)

Old 01 January 2003   #3
Gross! I love it.

I have a feeling that half of this competition will be judged on technical skill and the other half on the gruesome factor. You're off to a good start on both aspects.

Old 01 January 2003   #4
Looking icky...

What software are you using?

I dont have poser, but man I'm tempted to find it for the skeleton... I dont think I will have time to model a complete skeleton... thats where the design comes in, only model what you want to show... then I can't change anything... what to do, what to do... hehe

Old 01 January 2003   #5
Hi Arioch, glad you like it!
Cogliostros, I'm using Cinema4D, and the materials were built using SLA procedurals.
Cheers - Steve

Old 01 January 2003   #6
astrożfish there u go again!!

astro! astro! astro!

need 2 learn 3dsmax even faster...i would love 2 be in this challange...good luck 2 all

Old 01 January 2003   #7
Hey Astro!!! How r ya?

I hope you didnt fall asleep since your last post...unless you are very busy, get to work on the VFX challenge dude

Old 01 January 2003   #8
Yes, I know I'm way overdue for an update. I've been _very_ busy with various things recently so I've not had much time to spend on this, unfortunately.

I have done a bit more work on it, however, in an attempt to control where the flesh burns away, and to animate the disintegration spreading over the body.

I've written a simple plugin to assist with this, but I'm having some technical problems with its interaction with animation in C4D which means that if I render still frames it looks fine, but if I render an animation it doesn't work. Trying to fix this is taking longer than planned...

Oh yes, and I got cable internet access just in time for my ISP to have a major outage which meant that I had no net access from home all weekend (still not fixed either)...

Anyway, I've not forgotten about the challenge and I'll try to upload something as soon as I can.

Cheers - Steve

Old 01 January 2003   #9
I am always astonished by astro's work, i wonder how comes MAXON havent hired you as yet and you are making there software seem like its got more juice than maya. They really need to consider hiring you, i liked your last VFX challenge Entry, i hope you will finish this one aswell. I am liking that burnt skin effect that u have going. Nice work keep it up.

As a man once said to me:

"You can never get rich in the pocket, only in the heart. "

Old 01 January 2003   #10
Hi Illustrativ,
Wow. Thank you very much for your comments!

I haven't produced a lot with C4D yet, but that's certainly encouragement to keep going!

Anyway, I've finally fixed the problem I was having with the material animation plugin, so I should be able to provide an animated version soon (hopefully tonight, if I get time).
(The material burn is animated - not the model)

Once again, thanks for the support.

(BTW Maxon, if you do want to hire me on Illustrativ's recommendation - I'm listening. If not then I'll settle for a free copy of Bodypaint3D... )

Cheers - Steve

Old 01 January 2003   #11
[Edited to change link.]

Ok, an update at last!

I've managed to animate the spread of the disintegration over the skin surface.

Basically the way this works is that I use the 3D shaders that were used to determine transparency in the previous render, and I then use a custom plugin to offset the values from those shaders. The offset value is the distance from the surface of a hidden control object, which in turn is animated to expand over the course of the sequence...

A test animation is here

A still from the animation is attached.

The big problem now is that there's obviously nothing between the skin and the skeleton...

I'm intending to try adding some inner layers using a similar approach to the skin, to try to build up a multi layer model. I don't know how practical this will be both in terms of modelling effort, and render time, but I'll give it a go.

Oh yes, I've not drawn a storyboard yet, but my basic idea was that the orb would fire a pulse of energy at the guy's chest, and the disintegration spreads out from there - as in this test animation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg test7_0040.jpg (15.9 KB, 326 views)

Last edited by astrofish : 03 March 2003 at 02:44 PM.

Old 01 January 2003   #12
That is really sweet!!!

well done.

Old 01 January 2003   #13
acid reflux again Astro? - man that looks painful...

Old 01 January 2003   #14
Lookin good Astro,
like you said, it definately needs something under the skin.
I don't know if you have seen "Mars Attacks" lately, but all they used was a skeleton and the skin. They then used some real cheesy flames that burned up the flesh. Already you are ahead of what they had.

Keep it up.

btw....glad to see a fellow C4D user in here.

Old 02 February 2003   #15
hey. that`s looking cool. but you will use a real actor for the effect, or are you planning, to do everything in 3d?

share thread