Matt.e Paintings

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2006
Matt.e Paintings

Hey everyone!

NEWEST UPDATE:

I finally finished this matte painting!

And here is a new one that I did , its pretty basic but it was fun

Last edited by Matellis : 01 January 2007 at 03:06 PM.

06 June 2006
*whee*

I love those scifi images after getting up. Really good sketch in my opinion, I love everything. Composition, colors and lighting are just beautiful :-]

06 June 2006
I like it, but compositionally to me its a little right heavy. I look foward to seeing the progress of it though.

06 June 2006
hey thanks for the comments!

Here is an update , started my own painted background and started adding and getting rid of some stuff, almost at the final composition before I up rez and start detailing , any crits are very welcome!

CHEERS!

06 June 2006
Getting rid of the photo sky was good, it was waaay too grainy.

06 June 2006
hey great ones here, very nice mood, I liked the first one better , the sky gave a very photoreal look for all the image,the aerial perspective in that one in that one is really cool , it's too bad the sky bitmap was too grainy.
I like the second one but I think if you try a 16:9 frame composition it will help you in adding elements for a much better image composition, it is too square to me, try working as it was a frame from a movie, a wider frame will let you think in new ideas for composition

06 June 2006
Hey Jaime thanks for the crits , haha you know i didnt even notice how square it was! lol I think it made a huge improvement changing that up

So I was playing around more with the painting , im trying a lot of different things here before I start a final, but I do agree with you about the first one looking better , it had a real mild look to it.

But anyways here are a couple updates , and thanks for the help and keep the crits coming

06 June 2006
did another concept up quick , hmmm i dunno where im going with this now lol

06 June 2006
Hey everyone

I decided i should keep practicing before i go and actually start to do a full on matte painting so i will keep posting up my basic ideas for now

Here is one i did this morning

Before:

After:

06 June 2006
matellis , I think for your new matte painting concept, you have a great photo to start with, and you have all that detail hidden in the final result, I think the fog is too white and without depth, it is as white near and far the camera.and I think for the buildings or city you have in the background that would be as high and tall that clouds would be all over them , hope this helps

06 June 2006
Party City

Hey thanks for the help jaime and everyone , its really coming in useful

I just finished a sketch yesterday that I am happy about to go and start a matte painting.The idea is that its a saturday night and the city is rocking , maybe its a holiday that call for big celebration.

So I also started working on the matte yesterday , getting all the placement of the building started and once i get all the building I am happy with i will start tweeking the perspective on then start painting in detail and work on the color correction. here is what i have so far

Original sketch:

Start of the matte painting:

06 June 2006
ok your last one is starting to look a lot better. Good job on setting up the perspective.
Might i recommend starting out with a hard brush and getting most of it set up, then when you are finalizing it and blending it all together, soften the brush slightly, down to 60-70% to file down those sharp edges and blend your strokes.

About your perspective, might i sugges you bring the right V.P. far more to the right, even out of the plate, as right now its making your buildings very skewed.

Keep it up

EDIT: i just noticed something wierd. You seem to have 3 VP's on the horizon. Is that intentional?

06 June 2006
Originally Posted by scorpion007: Might i recommend starting out with a hard brush and getting most of it set up, then when you are finalizing it and blending it all together, soften the brush slightly, down to 60-70% to file down those sharp edges and blend your strokes.
EDIT: i just noticed something wierd. You seem to have 3 VP's on the horizon. Is that intentional?

Hey sorry , I dont really know what you mean , are you talking about the matte painting or the sketch? and what areas , im confused. I havent started painting on the matte yet, right now my main focus is covering up the original sketch with photos , then i will go in and start correcting and adding extra stuff by painting. the matte is over 4000 pixels wide so im finding it hard to get good photos of high quality atm. so i have a feeling im going to be doing a lot of paint over.

Oh yeah there are actually about 10-12 VPs on the horizon , most are out side of the convas, i dont have all the buildings parallel to each other so only a few buildings share the same points.

06 June 2006
I'm referring to both pictures in your last post. I see what you mean about the photo bits in the last image. The first image in that post has a lot of blurry strokes, from a soft brush.

Regarding the perspective, dunno, maybe its ok to have that many VP's, but seems to look wrong to me. I'm not a pro though.
The main buildings that are skewed are the ones in the background in the last image. They have a right VP in the center of the page almost. This makes them very skewed.

07 July 2006
started playing around today with a new matte , im still just practicing stuff so none are finished but i will finish the one for the challenge
this is about 10-12 images , and about 4-6 hours of over painting

Thread Closed share thread