Noob's modeling problem

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2006
Noob's modeling problem

hey, im trying to make a certain shape out of a polygon box. so i use the split polygon tool and make two new verteces as seen here:

then, i pull out the vertices and shape them how i want. the problem is that when i do so, it doesnt pull out the rest of the box. in other words, when i pull it out, its not "filled in" am i doing it wrong or am i using the wrong tool or what?

06 June 2006
You need to split the other two faces the new verts you've created are attached too, so the faces on the side move as well (it's tidier to model with complete edge loops, as in the edges go continuosly round the model forming a loop.)

Think about the edges attached to your verts and the faces they make up.

Edit : heh, and yeah, merge verts.

06 June 2006
Before you split that face, select each of the four verts and merge them. I suspect you have 2 or more verts at each position. Dunno how you managed that.

06 June 2006
sorry dude you kinda lost me. which faces?

and which verts do i merge?

Last edited by guitarplayer6516 : 06 June 2006 at 02:23 PM.

06 June 2006
the four vertices on the face your splitting somehow have become split from the cube, so there are duplicate verts in all those positions. select all 4 and then edit polygons >merge vertices. Hmm.. actually select all verts and merge vertices, I'm guessing that it's happened to the other verts too (dunno how mind you).

06 June 2006
Possibly due to tool settings ?

Hey there, guitarplayer.

I just did a quick test (on a new installation of Maya, so all default settings), by creating a Poly Cube then splitting one face as you did.

By default when you use the Split Poly tool, new vertices are created ON the existing edges with the result that moving those new vertices affects the "side" edges properly.

In your case it appears that when you split that one face, NEW edges were created and so the vertices that you inserted were only on the "front" edges.

Don't know what option would make it do that (I'm quite a newbie meself), but check the Help on Split Poly Tool.

Hope that helps!

My Dominance War III Entry - Tears of Blood

06 June 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread