CGTalk > General Techniques > Anatomy and Figurative Art > Personal Anatomy & Sketchbook Threads
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 06-19-2006, 01:05 PM   #1
aLoneCuzzo
cuZZO maSteR LEveL

portfolio
Jabari Bell
Programmer
AHA Designs
Brazil

Send a message via AIM to aLoneCuzzo
Anatomy Thread of aLoneCuzzo

Here's my anatomy thread.

Hogarth Ref. Ball-point pen.

Last edited by aLoneCuzzo : 06-19-2006 at 01:07 PM.

Old 06-19-2006, 06:15 PM   #2
BNN
Learning Artist

Yee Long
Animation Student
Singapore

Hi aLoneCuzzo!

How did you do those fine shadings using ball point pen? Looks nice!

Great study, hope to see more =D

Anatomy Thread of BNN

Old 06-20-2006, 01:55 AM   #3
Rebeccak
Anatomy Forum Leader

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Rebecca Kimmel
Founder + Owner
Korpus School of Art + Gallery
Los Angeles, USA

Smile

aLoneCuzzo,

Welcome aboard! Lovely study from Hogarth, definitely looking forward to seeing more. What is your art training and background?

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 06-20-2006, 02:23 PM   #4
aLoneCuzzo
cuZZO maSteR LEveL

portfolio
Jabari Bell
Programmer
AHA Designs
Brazil

-BNN

Hey, thanks for the comment!

A few years ago when I started, my cousin (who is like a super artist or something) told me that my lines were like weak. He said that I was afraid to make a mark on the page. He was right, so I eventually started sketching with a pen because it really made me live with the choices that I made on the page.

A lot of my sketches were quick like yours. But then one day I was clicking through here and I stumbled upon Rebbeca's sick ass thread. I saw her studies in ball point pen and I thought "hey! i want to do it like that!" If you look at her stuff like real close, it looks like its speaking, like she can catch the essence of the thing that she's drawing. I definitely don't think my stuff is close to that, but I sat down and tried to catch what the piece was saying to me.

So yeah, at first I thought it really sucked because I showed a friend of mine and she thought it was a violin at first, and then another something else. I'm taking my first figure drawing class and the people said they loved it, but they all had similar reactions. Some thought it was a woman and an instrument.

Then I got it! They were having a similar reaction as I was to Rebbeca's stuff (not comparing my stuff to her's... 2 different leagues). But I think what I saw in her's was a piece of her spirit or something at the time. It's so subtle and its really not about like visual accuracy at all.

Anyways to your question about the shading (sorry I'm longwinded). I just sat there and sorta felt it out. Rebbeca can probably give you more of the technical advice... But the ballpoint pen is definitely a tricky tool...

Rebecca-
Hands down, you're stuff is amazing. You're an inspiration to a lot of people and thx for the comment.

My education is similar to BNN's I guess. Most of it has been self-taught. I went to school for programming. My cousin helped me out a lot a few years back but I've been in a figure drawing class for 2 weeks now at SVA in Manhattan.

Like BNN, I'm also in an animation course (but not like animation major or anything) and we're currently working on modelling a character.

I want to go into 3d animation/ modelling. I'm not sure which I like more. But I really have grown to have a passion for the human form, so I want to get it right.

Thx! I'll post again tonight!

'A drawing is not well done unless it captures a state of mind.'
:Davinci:

Old 06-21-2006, 11:26 AM   #5
SpiritDreamer
"Close Your Eyes and See"

portfolio
GLENN GALLEGOS
Boston, USA

Hi....CUZZ.....

That's a great ink rendering....nice job on that, the fingernail could be a little bigger. maybe..
Was wondering if you are able to post any of your life drawings from your class on here.
A great way to learn in these forums, is to show off your weak areas amongst all this great talent. It really benifits everyone...pros and begginers alike ....forces the pros to think about what is wrong with the piece,which keeps them on their toes,.. and the begginers reap the
benifits of experianced and hopefully sound advice.....By one person showing their weak areas,
a whole chain reaction takes place, which benifits everyone, from the bottom step of the ladder, all the way up to the top step of the ladder.
If weak areas are not shown,....nobody benifits,...and a situation arises where everyone just sits around saying how great each others work is, which is great for the ego, but not for learning ...
Looking forward to seeing more of your work...

PUT YOUR WORST FOOT FORWARD, ALONG WITH YOUR BEST....ONLY WAY TO PROGRESS.

TAKE CARE
Glenn

Old 06-21-2006, 01:02 PM   #6
aLoneCuzzo
cuZZO maSteR LEveL

portfolio
Jabari Bell
Programmer
AHA Designs
Brazil

Hey spirit!

Thanks a lot for the advice. Funny that you should say that about putting your best and worst feet forward. I was battling about posting this next sketch because I really thought it sucked. Looks like that ego was popping its head, but you post was just what I needed to hear.

I'll post my class stuff too; I draw on one of those big pads and I don't have like one of those protective cases so I don't want it to get wet and we have like this storage closet where I leave it. Maybe next week I'll bring my camera and take pictures.

I don't have too many sketches on anatomy other than these new ones that I'm doing around daily and my class ones, so I'll try to post every day or so. Thanks for the words!

K, here's the sketch. I really have trouble getting the hand proportions right when they're all together. It was a crappy scan, I couldn't even really fix the levels too much in photoshop, I'll stick to the black ink.

Old 06-21-2006, 04:11 PM   #7
Rebeccak
Anatomy Forum Leader

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Rebecca Kimmel
Founder + Owner
Los Angeles, USA

aLoneCuzzo,

I have to tell you that I really enjoyed reading what you wrote about my work, and find it really moving that you took the time to appreciate my drawings this way. Really I think you're one of the only people ever to have come so close in describing in words the way I feel about drawing, which is that it's so much less about the subject and so much more about what the lines actually say. I've always found myself able to think most clearly when drawing, because it engenders an internal dialogue that is pretty calming, as you have to really focus, concentrate, and only think about the task before you ~ I suppose it's to do with the way our brains work, but whatever it is, it's quite enjoyable once you find that comfortable groove, and visual things logically interconnect. Thank you for taking the time to write out your understanding of my work.

In all truth and honesty, I still find myself surprised when other artists appreciate my work. I think most artists' average experiences of showing their work to non~artists is to get a pretty bland or uncomprehending response, so it's still a shock to me that there are people who 'get' it. And so many on this site, which makes it that much cooler to come here.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by Rebeccak : 06-21-2006 at 04:14 PM.

Old 06-21-2006, 05:39 PM   #8
SpiritDreamer

portfolio
GLENN GALLEGOS
Boston, USA

Hi ...CUZZ...

Hands were always a nightmare for me, tell I bought..
DRAWING DYNAMIC HANDS.by BURNE HOGARTH, and sat down and spent a week just reading
what he wrote in that book....didn't do any drawing of hands tell I absorbed all that he wrote
in that book. When I finally got done reading about all the basic princaples he talks about in
there, having to do with hands,..it just clicked in my brain how simple they really are.
He had a way of doing that with all the forms and structures of the human body, includeing
the hands.
I think that if you get that book, your dealings with hands will become much more enjoyable.
The idea with his teachings, is not to imatate his style, but to absorb the basic principles
that he decribes and demonstrates,....so that you can apply them in your work, whether
it be from your own imagination, or from life drawings, master copies, or whatever.

Another thing I did, and you might try,.. was to buy a pound of that clay that they sell in the art stores, the kind that does not dry....I kept making a hand, over and over again and applying the principles that are in that book.
Sticks in your brain and memory better when you can feel the process and results, and
have the memory of TOUCH

Looking forward to seeing more or your work and thoughts...

TAKE CARE
Glenn

Last edited by SpiritDreamer : 06-21-2006 at 06:17 PM.

Old 06-22-2006, 01:20 PM   #9
aLoneCuzzo
cuZZO maSteR LEveL

portfolio
Jabari Bell
Programmer
AHA Designs
Brazil

-Rebecca

Thanks so much for reading all my ramblings. I was getting VERY VERY frustrated last night trying to work some ideas out because I'm so rusty. It was really the first time that I've been pissed like that since I was younger in terms of drawing. I would always get pissed and quit. I felt like I could "see" the stuff, but handicap at communicating it on the page felt frustrating.

I'll get over it, I just need to keep posting/drawing/listening to ya'll to get my momentum back up. I really believe that drawing is capturing the spirit of something first by observation, and then recreating it physically using paper/etc. Thanks for guiding us in this act.

-Spirit

Yo thanks SO much. I really feel like I should be paying you for your advice. I'm gonna try that; I get so ahead of myself by just trying to copy, it never dawned on me to really read those books thoroughly and grasp the principles.

I never even thought of the clay idea either!

Best and worst feet forward eh? Here they are:

small char sketch, dunno if this should be here...

quick sketches on the train...

That's about it. Any comments on quick sketching would be helpful please! I'm stayin in the fight! Thx!!

Old 06-22-2006, 06:28 PM   #10
Rebeccak
Anatomy Forum Leader

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Rebecca Kimmel
Founder + Owner
Los Angeles, USA

aLoneCuzzo,

No problem! Hey, it takes so many drawings to really start to feel comfortable with the process, and even when you've been drawing forever, there is no guarantee that every drawing will turn out 'right'. It's just a matter of continuing to practice, and to enjoy the good drawings when they happen. I think that for every good drawing I create, it takes around 5-6 bad ones to precede it.

Figurative work of any kind (not just Anatomy Studies) is welcome here! Looking forward to more of your updates!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 06-23-2006, 08:10 PM   #11
aLoneCuzzo
cuZZO maSteR LEveL

portfolio
Jabari Bell
Programmer
AHA Designs
Brazil

OMG Rebecca! YOU TAUGHT CG WORKSHOPS!?!?! How could you keep that from me? I'm so hurt! Haha!

Yeah, I stumbled upon your link on ca to your workshop only to find out that I had missed the party.

But hey I saw your first was in October and then one in Like Febuary... SOOOO... isn't about high time for one?! I'd so sign up!

Haha... I think I'll actually post something later on here. Gonna go see if I can find some of those master draftsman books @ the bookstore.

Old 06-25-2006, 08:18 PM   #12
SpiritDreamer

portfolio
GLENN GALLEGOS
Boston, USA

Hi....CUZZ...

Really like those skeches you did on the train....the guy with the cell phone is great, you really nailed the gesture on that one....all of them are great really, and this method of captureing what is around you, will really pay off,...it will train your eye,... and your memory for subtle details.
I had a teacher many years ago, his name was BILL OAKES....
GREAT ILLUSTRATOR...He did the Watergate Hearings, TIME magizine covers etc.

http://www.mindleaps.com/
http://www.mindleaps.com/about.html

His method of learning and teaching, was to take the class out into public areas..subway, busy stores, parks, ect....and do JUST WHAT YOU ARE DOING...makeing hundreds of very quick studies of everything around you. It is a method that is proven and for sure works...just takes
practice and repetition....drawing and getting a likeness will become second nature, and as
simple and unthought of as walking and breathing after you do a few thousend of them, which
does not take too long, if you do it every day..
Keep posting,...you for sure are on the right path, and I am really looking forward to seeing
the progress that you will for sure make...

TAKE CARE
Glenn

Last edited by SpiritDreamer : 06-25-2006 at 08:31 PM.

Old 06-26-2006, 03:53 AM   #13
aLoneCuzzo
cuZZO maSteR LEveL

portfolio
Jabari Bell
Programmer
AHA Designs
Brazil

Thanks so much for your words. I checked out that site, pretty hot stuff!

I didn't get a chance to do any sketches in plublic this weekend, but I did get a chance to go to the Metropolitan Museum of Art to see this presentation that they did on Raphael. I got one of his draft books and I got "Drawing Lessons from the Great Masters" by Hale I think.

Here's a sketch w/ ballpoint pen again from a study of Annicale Carraci's "Standing Figure of a Nude Woman"

It definitely has a lot of errors anatomically speaking, but I'm getting more comfortable witht the pen and after seeing a lot of Raphael's pen works, I think I'm going to do a study of his next.

But I'll get back on those environment/subway/pose... whatever you call them sketches tomorrow. Practice, practice, practice... thx again

Old 06-26-2006, 03:48 PM   #14
Rebeccak
Anatomy Forum Leader

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Rebecca Kimmel
Founder + Owner
Los Angeles, USA

Quote:
Originally posted by aLoneCuzzo: OMG Rebecca! YOU TAUGHT CG WORKSHOPS!?!?! How could you keep that from me? I'm so hurt! Haha!

Yeah, I stumbled upon your link on ca to your workshop only to find out that I had missed the party.

But hey I saw your first was in October and then one in Like Febuary... SOOOO... isn't about high time for one?! I'd so sign up!

Awww, thank you for the compliment! I will in fact be teaching a new Workshop very soon, though I'm not permitted to say exactly when. It would be a pleasure to have you in the class! You might enjoy checking out the work of former CGWorkshops participants, whose names are annotated with "CGWorkshop Participant" here.

Gorgeous sketch, though her lower torso as you know has gotten a bit stretched. Really enjoying your extended pieces especially! You definitely have a strong understanding of the opposing curve concept, and I'd love to see more master copies. Imo, they're one of the best ways to learn.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 06-27-2006, 04:14 AM   #15
aLoneCuzzo
cuZZO maSteR LEveL

portfolio
Jabari Bell
Programmer
AHA Designs
Brazil

WOw... it was a REALLy rough class tonight... I was having a decent sketch day until we were working on heads and hands tonight...

Sorry don't have any posts from class, I leave my pad at school. BUt we draw with charcol straight up... It's very uncomfortable as its my first time drawing that way... but owell I love the challenge...

I was pretty tired and irritated moreso about tthe lack of effort that I gave the heads in class... I was just way too tense... So my teacher let me hold this book "Heads and portraits: Drawings from Piero Di Cosimo to Jasper Johns"

I'm gonna try to knock out 20 or so studies before class again in I think 2 weeks. So look for posts from that book....

K, my sketches... Umm some from the train and one from online reference...

My scans really suck, a lot of marks got left out... ohwell...

Thread Closed share thread