Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 06-15-2006, 07:16 PM   #1
LucyW
Explorer
Lucy W
United Kingdom

'The Sculptor' - Final year short

Hi. I've just finished my final year short film so I thought I'd post it up to get some feedback. Its a mix of CG and stop motion animation and its about a lonely old sculptor who builds a figure.

Its available to download in various formats:

DivX:
High res (28mb)
Low res (12mb)

Quicktime:
High res (27mb)
Low res (11mb)

Last edited by LucyW : 06-17-2006 at 08:16 AM.

Old 06-16-2006, 07:54 PM   #2
RockemSockem
Todd Luallen
San Diego, USA

Links don't work for me.

Old 06-17-2006, 07:02 AM   #3
tck
Jeff Shantz
London, Canada

Smile Nice

The links should be:

DivX:
www.3d-web.co.uk/downloads/TheSculptor.divx - 720x576 (28mb)
www.3d-web.co.uk/downloads/TheSculptor-lores.divx - 320x240 (12mb)
Quicktime:
www.3d-web.co.uk/downloads/TheSculptor.mov - 720x576 (27mb)
www.3d-web.co.uk/downloads/TheSculptor-lores.mov - 320x240 (11mb)

Amazing work, Lucy. Very impressive.

Old 06-17-2006, 07:06 AM   #4
TAKADS
Veteran

Amine Alameddine
London, United Kingdom

Send a message via MSN to TAKADS
Thumbs up Nice work

Try copy pasting the actual displayed link: www.3d-web.co.uk/downloads/TheSculptor.mov coz the HTML seems corrupt.

Hey Lucy, very nice work. I liked the story, the camera movements are very interresting and the combination of the techniques u used as well. 3D, Stop motion(i guess) and Live footage/backdrops. The overall product is good, but i guess a bit of extra work on the compositing side would have hidden better the overall integration. A hint of color would have also been interesting (as an artistic note, but that's just me). Anywho great work indeed and looking foward to see more of your work.

Cheers

Old 06-17-2006, 08:33 AM   #5
LucyW
Explorer
Lucy W
United Kingdom

Fixed the links.

Takads, the backgrounds are CG, there is no live footage in the film Thanks for your comments, I will be tweaking the compositing as I know its not perfect. I was a little rushed towards the end of the project so the post production didn't get the same degree of attention that the animation did.

Old 06-19-2006, 08:01 AM   #6
LucyW
Explorer
Lucy W
United Kingdom

Does anybody have any crits on the actual animation? Would be nice to hear a few more opinions.

Old 06-19-2006, 07:23 PM   #7
Allo Poppet
wayne simmons
hatfield, United Kingdom

Smile

maybe im bias because i know how much work and effort you put into the whole film, but i love the animation, the two techniques offer two very different animation styles, both which compliment each other nicely. Ive shown my house mates and all agree!

great stuff

Old 06-19-2006, 11:09 PM   #8
jumbojimbo
James
United Kingdom

really like it Lucy. I thought you was gonna win something at film day and dissapointed you didnt. It was an original idea, well made and thought through and deserved some recognition. Well done

Old 06-20-2006, 02:22 AM   #9
RowTal

Rowan Tallant
United Kingdom

intrigued

Hi Lucy

I'm intrigued how you actually synchronised the two styles together. I'm presuming you did the stop motion first (it seems that it would be easier that way). What problems did you encounter along the way?

In terms of character I felt that the man seemed quite limited in his facial articulation. Although he was very expressive he still seemed a little stiff.

Also, perhaps the story could've had a bigger impact.

Rowan

Old 06-20-2006, 01:59 PM   #10
LucyW
Explorer
Lucy W
United Kingdom

Yeah, I did the stop motion first and put the footage on a plain in the background of my scene so that I could match up the camera angles and the sculptor's hand movements.

Surprisingly, there weren't any huge problems making it. I did have a bit of trouble setting up my bluescreen and lighting, and matching the it with the lighting in the CG scene, but it was just a case of fiddling with it until it looked right, and I had a fair bit of help from one of my lecturers with the CG lighting. Thats about the only thing I did have help with though. After that, it was just a case of working away at it. There were a few shots that were a bit of a pain to put together at the end - the main one being the shot where the sculptor lifts the figure from the table and places him on his hand. It's still not perfect, but nothing ever is

Old 06-21-2006, 06:15 PM   #11
RowTal

Rowan Tallant
United Kingdom

You used bluescreen? Did you try exporting as a .mov as an alternative? There's a way of doing it so an alpha channel is included - compositing is a little easier in AFX/Premiere (or which ever software you edit with).
I used greenscreen on one of my films a while back. It's a real pain in comparison.

Old 06-21-2006, 06:15 PM   #12
RowTal

Rowan Tallant
United Kingdom

You used bluescreen? Did you try exporting as a .mov as an alternative? There's a way of doing it so an alpha channel is included - compositing is a little easier in AFX/Premiere (or which ever software you edit with).
I used greenscreen on one of my films a while back. It's a real pain in comparison.

Old 06-21-2006, 06:16 PM   #13
RowTal

Rowan Tallant
United Kingdom

Old 06-21-2006, 06:21 PM   #14
RowTal

Rowan Tallant
United Kingdom

oops - apologies for that. It kept on telling me it was busy (excuses excuses!!)

Old 06-21-2006, 09:43 PM   #15
Saihtam
Little Animator

Mathias AUBRY
Canada

I love the concept and the story.

well done!

Thread Closed share thread