morphius-ms
searching... for a job...

portfolio
Matthew Sanders
Alumnus
Purdue University
Lafayette, USA

Send a message via AIM to morphius-ms
minotaur (is this posted in the right forum??)

ok I am working on models for my portfolio one of which is a dragon model, which is taking me way too long to finish, so I am putting that one on hold, I posted it along time ago got one reply (thanks Carlsden) and put it on hold because I had school projects to work on. Now it is summer and started working on it again, but it is taking me too long to finish considering I am trying to get three good models done by SIGGRAPH at the end of July. that was in the WIP:Stills forum, so I am going to try here... I hope I am in the right one hopefully I can get some more replies.

here is one that I worked on today I will probably work on it more tonight. Could I get some replies, and let me know if I should keep posting here or I should go back to the WIP forum? Now mind you I am not done with any of it this is just a start, but if you have any suggestions I wouldn't mind. Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg minotaur.jpg (47.7 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg minotaur_wire.jpg (51.0 KB, 41 views)

Old 06-15-2006, 05:52 AM   #2
pming
PRO

Paul L. Ming
Canada

Hiya.

This is a low-poly character, right? At any rate, I think it's a bit too 'top heavy'. It looks like it's about to fall over...maybe enlarge the legs a bit, and make his hoofs bigger (big hands and feet make a model look more poweful).

Are you planing to add clothing/armor/fur? Keep it up!

Paul L. Ming

Old 06-15-2006, 10:30 AM   #3
Amit_S
Know-it-All
Amit Sardal
Mumbai, India

I hope you`re not tryin to make low poly. Hopefully this is just a block for ur model.
As Pming said the top is very heavy. So build up the legs more.

Are u going in for realistic proportions?(Come to think of it -u cant make it real cause Minotaurs dont exist )
I dont know what specifically you have in mind for this model but how about some huge exagerrated proportions- make the entire body bigger-but not the head and give him some muscles on his upper body. About the exagerrated body thing there was this post on 3dtotal.com about a legend about Indian Gods. It was called Indian Myth by Hells angel. Check it out if u plan you give this centaur an exagerrated look. Hell! Check it out anyway-its really great.

Do the legends about Minotaurs say they have hair/fur on their lower body? If they do then u can use the Centaurs in Narnia as a ref.

I dont like his hands/hoofs. They look more like claws. how about human hands?
Cant see his head properly.....post a close up on it.

Old 06-15-2006, 03:40 PM   #4
morphius-ms

portfolio
Matthew Sanders
Alumnus
Purdue University
Lafayette, USA

Amit_S and pming thanks for the response.

I will work on making the legs bigger, I was using human proportions, but I guess I really can't considering it is supposed to be a huge creature...

As for the legends of the minotaur, it stated that it was a creature with the body of a man and a head of a bull, but I took some artistic license and gave him bull legs as well and I was going to add fur... it's kinda a sickning story...

If you are interested here is the where the story is: http://www.minotaur-websites.com/minomyth.htm

as for the hands, to make them more like a bull I did fuse the four fingers together into a mix of a hoof and a hand, the fingers will still bend but they will still be kinda sharp.

The reason that I didn't post a view of the head was because the head was what I was working on at the time and I am still working on it.... I will post an update soon.

thanks for the replies and the suggestions.

I hope to post an update soon.

Old 06-16-2006, 05:53 PM   #5
morphius-ms

portfolio
Matthew Sanders
Alumnus
Purdue University
Lafayette, USA

ok here is an update, I worked on the head mostly today, and I made the body and hands and legs bigger, hopefully this will give him balance,

any C&C would be appreciated,

I will probably be working on this alot tomorrow (I'm off of work).

Well here is an update.

Thanks for viewing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg minotaur_2.jpg (54.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg minotaur_2_head.jpg (63.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg minotaur_2_head_t.jpg (66.2 KB, 9 views)

Old 06-17-2006, 01:55 AM   #6
pming
PRO

Paul L. Ming
Canada

Hiya.

Now it's starting to come together! Start to get in some muscle definition and I think you'll be well on your way to a great model. Keep it up!

Paul L. Ming

Old 06-17-2006, 07:59 PM   #7
morphius-ms

portfolio
Matthew Sanders
Alumnus
Purdue University
Lafayette, USA

ok after working on it since 10, (it's now 4). here is what I have...

I am going to be working on UV unwrapping and textures next (and look at the fur). any C&C would be appreciated.

If you want more I can make more screen caps if you want (*if you want to look at details*)...

Though this was fun working on this, and I learned alot, I'm off for a little R&R for my day off... I'll probably work on this either later on tonight or tomorrow morning.

Thanks for viewing (and if you commented, commenting)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg minotaur_3_persp.jpg (49.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg minotaur_3_persp_wire.jpg (77.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg minotaur_3_back.jpg (72.3 KB, 9 views)

Old 06-17-2006, 07:59 PM   #8
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread