Mental Ray 3.5 Features

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2006   #1
Mental Ray 3.5 Features

http://www.vfxtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5816

Quote:
Rolf Herken "CEO Mental Images": Well letís see...in the immediate future mental ray 3.5 will be released.
The development of version 3.5 is focused on improvements of performance and usability, while ensuring a high level of compatibility with earlier versions. The following areas are at the focus of the improvements:
- global illumination and final gathering ease of use and performance
- ease of shader creation and shading performance
- rasterizer performance
- ray tracing robustness
- ease of parameter tuning for options and scene data
- backward compatibility
- physically based rendering

For the future we are working towards the ultimate goal of being able to render incredibly complex scenes (with billions of triangles) using raytracing based global illumination algorithms with complex shading including BRDFs, subsurface scattering, and frequency dependent phenomena
*in real-time*.

Our next generation software rendering technology that is built into RealityServer, achieves rendering times of less than 40 milliseconds per frame (i.e., realtime) with full raytracing (and very soon full global illumination) on small 64-bit commodity multiprocessor machines or blades on scenes with tens of millions of polygons.

Parts of this entirely new, revolutionary rendering technology such as our dynamic BSP acceleration methods are being integrated into mental ray, beginning with version 3.5. In mental ray 3.6 we will have support for assemblies, allowing rendering of arbitrarily large scenes, e.g., crowd scenes with a million creatures, even with our raytracing and global illumination algorithms.

Old 06 June 2006   #2
Bring it on

Quote:
*in real-time*.

Old 06 June 2006   #3
That's very exciting news. MR is already top renderer and the way they improve it (adding and expanding very advanced features while making them faster and easier to use at the same time) is great. Seeing it used heavily in feature movies recently makes me really happy.

I have very big respect for people like Rolf Herken who are the inovators in CG world. Without them, there would be no CG as we know it.

Old 06 June 2006   #4
Good news. Whish they will add faster motionblur and DOF too.

Old 06 June 2006   #5
Will this mean I can finally render high res stills >3500 pixels without memory errors?

Old 06 June 2006   #6
All this seems nice, but, unless I'm missing something, they're just saying, "We do everything we used to do, but more betterly!"

Could someone up on the MR tip decode the PR-speak a little?

Old 06 June 2006   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonedaddy
All this seems nice, but, unless I'm missing something, they're just saying, "We do everything we used to do, but more betterly!"

Could someone up on the MR tip decode the PR-speak a little?

Well that can't be bad when it comes to MR, as there isn't much it doesn't do already, so speed and performace improvements (and ease of use for the less technical people) are the top on the list.

The MetaSL thing sounds interesting and is something 'new', even though I don't exactly understand what it can do.

Last edited by gent_k : 06 June 2006 at 08:24 PM.

Old 06 June 2006   #8
Mental ray,s new features

Hello there everybody,

I might be missing something here but I have always believed(trough years of experience) that the current version of Mental Ray for 3ds max was already capable of most things mentioned above...I could be wrong tough...can anyone enlighten me please?!

Kind Regards

Jamie

Last edited by ca11j31 : 06 June 2006 at 07:00 PM. Reason: missed item

Old 06 June 2006   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by gent_k
The MetaSL thing sounds interesting and is something 'new', even though I don't exactly understand what it can do.

hopefully cross platform shaders with ease and maybe an interface for non-programmer types

Old 06 June 2006   #10
I like the way that "EASE OF USE" sounds.

It'll also be great when renderers start taking advantage of any graphic cards in their engine. Gelato does this but it only works with NVidia cards right?

Old 06 June 2006   #11
"Reality Server"? Is this part of their deal with the makers of the Render Drive?

Old 06 June 2006   #12
Quote:
All this seems nice, but, unless I'm missing something, they're just saying, "We do everything we used to do, but more betterly!" Could someone up on the MR tip decode the PR-speak a little? ... I might be missing something here but I have always believed(trough years of experience) that the current version of Mental Ray for 3ds max was already capable of most things mentioned above...I could be wrong tough...can anyone enlighten me please?!

That's because it's a minor update, from 3.4 to 3.5. You'll have to wait for 4.0 for any major changes. So it's mainly bug fixes and performance improvements, it's the same features so it should be the same in 3DMax, Maya, XSI, etc.

Quote:
"Reality Server"? Is this part of their deal with the makers of the Render Drive?

Reality Server predates that. It's a server based solution for internet and intranet applications.

Old 06 June 2006   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonedaddy

Which in the case of MR is a lot, IMHO.

Old 06 June 2006   #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mentalimages
...using raytracing based global illumination algorithms with complex shading including BRDFs, subsurface scattering, and frequency dependent phenomena
*in real-time*.

BTW I've always been wondering whether this gesture existed in english speaking countries where you pull down one lower eyelid with your index finger Would apply so nicely here but I guess this might be a germany only thingie.

Old 06 June 2006   #15
Oh and please make sure you tell the developers of the host applications how to implement all these wonderful features that you are adding. And some useful documentation would be ... useful too.
And try not to break anything that ain't already broken....

Thread Closed share thread