Old 06-10-2006, 06:25 PM   #1
RocketR
Veteran
portfolio
Matt R
Director
Odd Man Out Studios
USA

Send a message via ICQ to RocketR Send a message via AIM to RocketR Send a message via MSN to RocketR Send a message via Yahoo to RocketR
Question Looking to buy a new computer

I'm in the market for a new PC but I have some questions that I was wondering if you guys could maybe help answer. I will mainly use this PC for applications like Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Flash, 3D apps, and video editing (along with the occasional DVD authoring). As you can see it would be kind of a do it all PC in the graphics sense. One thing is should I use AMD or Intel processors?

Several friends of mine have recommended I buy from BOXX Technologies but I have also heard that they have to high of prices. Another place I was told to go to is Dell, that they have good prices for somewhat quality material. Any information would help.

Last edited by RocketR : 07-01-2006 at 01:29 AM.

Old 06-10-2006, 08:56 PM   #2
Valkyrien
Mister Fusion

Nate Howe
Boston, USA

Send a message via ICQ to Valkyrien Send a message via AIM to Valkyrien Send a message via MSN to Valkyrien
You're right, other than Dell having somewhat quality material. Mine's PSU sputtered and died after like a year, and my computer was also in the line that had the dreaded Hitachi DeskStar drives. Took longer than average for that line for mine to die, but it did indeed die!

Old 06-10-2006, 10:21 PM   #3
locke2121
Frequenter

portfolio
James Locke
McMinnville TN, USA

I bought a 310SE from Gateway about 10 years ago, and am still using it! I've replaced the HD, RAM and Power pack, but everything is still working smooth as silk. Course I'm a bit fanatical about keeping everything dust free and having a large extra fan to keep heat to a minimum, excess heat is death to a computer. May I suggest you build your own, its not that hard.

Old 06-12-2006, 12:06 PM   #4
Ed Caracappa
Lord of the posts
Ed Caracappa
Next Computing
Austin, USA

Rocket,

Give me a call, I'd be happy to try and help you out.

Ed
512-217-0461

Old 06-12-2006, 12:14 PM   #5
newman
Lord of the posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketR
One thing is should I use AMD or Intel processors?

At the moment I'd go with AMD..

Old 06-13-2006, 10:14 PM   #6
RocketR
Veteran
portfolio
Matt R
Director
Odd Man Out Studios
USA

Send a message via ICQ to RocketR Send a message via AIM to RocketR Send a message via MSN to RocketR Send a message via Yahoo to RocketR
With all this, I have also considered building my own PC because I have more than enough knowledge to do so because I have done so many times in the past its just now I'm wanting to get a more "gut-shaking" machine. What do you all think of that? I like how BOXX has good support but you know customization and the thrill of building your own is always fun.

Old 06-13-2006, 11:20 PM   #7
Valkyrien
Mister Fusion

Nate Howe
Boston, USA

Send a message via ICQ to Valkyrien Send a message via AIM to Valkyrien Send a message via MSN to Valkyrien
Can always take it apart and reassemble

Old 06-14-2006, 11:13 AM   #8
validusername
Veteran
Markus
Bologna, Italy

I think it is by far best to build your self because then you can select high quality components according to your preferences. You will also not just save money but you will have no problems with fixing the computer if it fails.

I have seen countless threads on various forums about poor manufacturing methods, like implementation of the thermal paste. The manufacturers are always trying to cut costs, e.g. by choosing poor components you donīt notice (thermal paste, psu etc) and also saving essembly times by putting far too much thermal paste, so it actually insulates so the computer runs too hot.

Old 06-23-2006, 05:22 PM   #9
RocketR
Veteran
portfolio
Matt R
Director
Odd Man Out Studios
USA

There are some problems with having so many options. Sometimes I get overwhelmed. I think that if I get a PC then it will be a BOXX. The thing is that now I'm being recommended to get a Mac. I really like the OSX look and how it runs but I just don't like the lack of customizability and also not sure how the move to Intel processors will affect it. They still don't have a newer version of the PowerMac or whatever it will be called.

Old 06-23-2006, 05:59 PM   #10
FinalCreation
Veteran
notyet
other
toronto, Canada

i think you should either get boxx or build your own pc.

Old 06-23-2006, 07:25 PM   #11
MattClary
LightWave Loyalist
portfolio
Matt Clary
Hobbyist
Tallahassee, Fl., USA

Quote:
I really like the OSX look

That's what Windowblinds is for. My desktop has the Apple look, don't think it's 100% identical, but it looks very similar.

http://www.wincustomize.com/ViewSki...ID=5728&LibID=1

http://www.wincustomize.com/ViewSki...ID=4881&LibID=1

I'd run the real thing, but I've never owned a computer I didn't build and don't plan to change that now. If I can one day buy OS X and install it on a home-built machine, I'll do it.

Last edited by MattClary : 06-23-2006 at 07:30 PM.

Old 06-23-2006, 09:29 PM   #12
lots
Lord of the posts

Quote:
There are some problems with having so many options. Sometimes I get overwhelmed. I think that if I get a PC then it will be a BOXX. The thing is that now I'm being recommended to get a Mac. I really like the OSX look and how it runs but I just don't like the lack of customizability and also not sure how the move to Intel processors will affect it. They still don't have a newer version of the PowerMac or whatever it will be called.

Because Apple knows better than to release a mac using netburst based Xeons :P. Current gen intel hardware is crap next to AMD, and Apple would likely recieve a spanking in the performance department with Apple workstations using what is available from Intel right now.

Conroe will change that, and I would be surprised if Apple wasnt waiting for the official release of Conroe.
Reel

Old 06-25-2006, 01:58 PM   #13
RocketR
Veteran
portfolio
Matt R
Director
Odd Man Out Studios
USA

So you guys think I should wait and see what Apple comes out with and then decide on whether or not to get one? I hear they're coming out with Leopard later this year and also maybe the MacPro so it may be worthwhile. I have never owned a Mac before so I'm not to sure about how good one would be for my uses.

Last edited by RocketR : 06-26-2006 at 03:05 PM.

Old 07-01-2006, 01:28 AM   #14
RocketR
Veteran
portfolio
Matt R
Director
Odd Man Out Studios
USA

I've been reading some posts on the new Conroe core and have heard that it is not 64-bit. I would think that Apple is waiting for some quality prcessor that can handle OSX to its capabilities well. I'm still just at crossroads as to what to get. Would you say Apple makes a quality enough computer for use with film (mainly video for now), web and graphic design, and 3D apps? I really am getting frustrated with the Windows OS more everyday. I have heard nothing but rave reviews about OSX and just wanted to hear from the people who use Macs and if they are really worth it.

Old 07-01-2006, 02:30 AM   #15
motoxpress
designer

portfolio
George Loch
Director
Prologue Media
USA

If you have the time or patience, it is always better to wait as computer tech is always going to be better, faster or cheaper the longer you wait.

As far as the Intel-based macs, They have a lot of advantages. It pretty much eliminates the "mac or pc" debate as you can have both. I also suspect that the desktop options will make this even better with the potential for good components like Nvidia video cards.

OTOH, Boxx makes a real nice PC.

-gl

"There are no shortcuts....The harder you work, the more you draw, the better you get"

-Feng Zhu

Thread Closed share thread