RobertoOrtiz
[Forum Leader]

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Roberto Ortiz
Illustrator/ Modeler
Washington DC, USA

Send a message via MSN to RobertoOrtiz
MIT $100 Laptop for Developing world (UPDATE! Fist Machines Ship)

UPDATE:
"The ambitious project to provide low-cost laptop computers to poor children around the world is about to take a small step forward.
More than 500 children in Thailand are expected to receive the machines in October and November for quality testing and debugging.

The One Laptop Per Child program, which began at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology's Media Lab and now is a separate nonprofit organization, hopes to deploy 5 million to 7 million machines in Thailand, Nigeria, Brazil and Argentina in 2007."

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/ptech/...s.ap/index.html

Legacy post below

Quote:
"At an event put on to honor the top technology innovations from Massachusetts companies, a technology designed for users far from the halls of MIT and Harvard stole all the thunder.

At the MITX (Massachusetts Innovation & Technology Exchange) What's Next Forum and Technology Awards June 7 in Boston, Nicholas Negroponte, the co-founder of the MIT Media Lab, was inducted into the MITX Innovation Hall of Fame.

But Negroponte used his time at the podium to talk about his current job as chairman of the One Laptop per Child association and its goal of putting what is commonly referred to as the $100 laptop into the hands of children in developing countries.

Negroponte didn't just talk about the association and its goals; he also brought the first working model of the $100 laptop.
This working model sported many differences from the early prototypes that were seen previously. The biggest change is that the laptop no long features a directly attached crank for powering the laptop in areas without electricity—the crank has now been moved to the power supply"

>>LINK<<

-R
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Last edited by RobertoOrtiz : 08-23-2006 at 12:42 PM.

Old 06-09-2006, 12:54 AM   #2
csmallfield
Spaceman

portfolio
Christopher Smallfield
VFX Supervisor / Artist
Freelance
Berlin, Germany

Send a message via AIM to csmallfield Send a message via MSN to csmallfield Send a message via Yahoo to csmallfield
I love this project, it's such a great idea. The hand crank on the power supply is a great idea too. I want a friction power supply for my bike to charge up a laptop, that would be cool.

-Chris

Old 06-09-2006, 01:16 AM   #3
Dennik
Stuck in the 80s

portfolio
Dionysios N
3D Artist - Animator
Winston Salem, USA

Ehm, are these people aware that at some countries people have $100 to live for a whole year?

Animusing Productions
old animation stuff.

Old 06-09-2006, 01:46 AM   #4
trthing
Do the right thing

ACCS
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Man, this might represent a great start!

It is a marvellous project: I am sure it will make a difference to many around here.

Old 06-09-2006, 02:51 AM   #5
EpShot
Lord of the posts
Zachary
Artist, Blur Studio
USA

Send a message via AIM to EpShot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennik
Ehm, are these people aware that at some countries people have $100 to live for a whole year?

these aren't for starving 3rd world countries. we're getting them water.

Old 06-09-2006, 05:05 AM   #6
Saurus
Lord of the posts
portfolio
saurus saurus
Vancouver, Canada

I think the cost is now projected between $130 to $140.

Link

Old 06-09-2006, 10:31 AM   #7
DrFx
Bloodlust

portfolio
Carlos Félix
3d generalist
Open University
London, United Kingdom

Send a message via MSN to DrFx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saurus
I think the cost is now projected between $130 to $140.

Link

Expected to drop to $50 by 2010.
This is very interesting, I like the design a lot, though I kind of miss the hand crank!

Old 06-09-2006, 01:25 PM   #8
Dennik
Stuck in the 80s

portfolio
Dionysios N
3D Artist - Animator
Winston Salem, USA

I think if we just gave away our previous computers instead of tossing them to the trashcan that would be an excellent service to the developing countries. Sure they won't be able to play the latest computer games, and run the latest version of windows, but its perfect for learning purposes, and its free.

Animusing Productions
old animation stuff.

Old 06-09-2006, 01:29 PM   #9
Dennik
Stuck in the 80s

portfolio
Dionysios N
3D Artist - Animator
Winston Salem, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpShot
these aren't for starving 3rd world countries. we're getting them water.

It if has a hand crank for places without electricity, i think yeah its for those countries. Its for people who live in houses made of reed and mud bricks.

Animusing Productions
old animation stuff.

Old 06-09-2006, 01:48 PM   #10
mynewcat
Feels the need for speed!

portfolio
Justin Dowling
Freelancer
JD3D CGI
Bristol, United Kingdom

I think the fact that they are so cheap makes them easier for us in richer nations to buy and donate... which is hopefully what we will begin to do.

I am also excited about this project - the possibilities of spreading useful information to isolated poorly educated areas such as some parts of Africa is perhaps better than more obvious donations we could make.

Teach a man to fish and he can feed himself, but give a man the means to teach himself all the things that could benefit him - and wow, you're talking about sharing our most important asset.

Old 06-09-2006, 03:25 PM   #11
unchikun
Know-it-All

Quote:

I agree. I think this computer somewhat overhyped, you still need access to the internet to really take advantage of the computer. Africa has the highest cost/megabyte in the world as some South Africans can attest. Most data goes through communication satellites owned by european telecoms. Even though there is an undersea cable in the works theres still the non-existance broadband infrastructure to contend with.

Although a $100 computer is potentially a great educational tool I think $100 worth of livestock could serve a poor farmer much better, or even training in modern intensive farming methods.

Old 06-09-2006, 04:01 PM   #12
owenlewis

portfolio
Owen Lewis
Lead Graphics Modeler
Will Technology
Huntsville,

People have done things like this before (try to advance an under developed country). I remember when the united states gave farm equipment to starving countries in Africa to help them produce more food, The people were so accustomed to there farming techniques that instead of using the tractors and plows to work the land they used them as taxis to get people from town to town ineffectively.
It wasn’t that the people were just handed the equipment left to them selves, they were shown how to use it correctly they choose not to use them because they didn’t believe how much food the equipment would help them produce.
I think something similar will happen with the laptops, they will become door stops, seats, cutting boards in the kitchen, almost anything except tools for education.

Old 06-09-2006, 04:39 PM   #13
RobertoOrtiz
[Forum Leader]

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Roberto Ortiz
Illustrator/ Modeler
Washington DC, USA

Send a message via MSN to RobertoOrtiz
Quote:
Originally Posted by odog87
I think something similar will happen with the laptops, they will become door stops, seats, cutting boards in the kitchen, almost anything except tools for education.

As the saying goes,: "The road to hell is paved with good intentions"

I used to have a friend who worked for the Peace Core in deep Africa.
I remember how proud she was of the work she was doing. How her organization, having learned for past errors (like that farming fiasco), concentrate now on teaching farmers techniques for better farming.

Bless her heart of her and people like her, that made a HUGE difference in their lives.

What a lot of people fair to grasp is that for a lot of these people POTABLE drinking water or
simply EATING is more important that who will win the next OS war.

To project our cultural needs into countries with DEEP poverty is short sided, foolish and it tends to be catastrophic. Talk to the people in those countries and see what their true Needs are. Talk to the organization who have been there for years.

I am sure that a computer is VERY low on the list.
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Last edited by RobertoOrtiz : 06-09-2006 at 04:41 PM.

Old 06-09-2006, 06:19 PM   #14
Dennik
Stuck in the 80s

portfolio
Dionysios N
3D Artist - Animator
Winston Salem, USA

taken from Wikipedia:

"The World Bank defines extreme poverty as living on less than US$ (PPP) 1 per day, and moderate poverty as less than $2 a day. It has been estimated that in 2001, 1.1 billion people had consumption levels below $1 a day and 2.7 billion lived on less than $2 a day."

And we are thinking about sending them $100 laptops?

Why not tax the hell out of everyone who dares to enter the Forbes list and send that money to those countries instead.

Animusing Productions
old animation stuff.

Old 06-09-2006, 06:46 PM   #15
Titus
Tri Lambda

Felipe Esquivel
TD
Chamán Animation Studio
Mexico

Quote:
taken from Wikipedia:

"The World Bank defines extreme poverty as living on less than US$ (PPP) 1 per day, and moderate poverty as less than $2 a day. It has been estimated that in 2001, 1.1 billion people had consumption levels below $1 a day and 2.7 billion lived on less than $2 a day."

And we are thinking about sending them $100 laptops?

Why not tax the hell out of everyone who dares to enter the Forbes list and send that money to those countries instead.

You don't seem to understand the target of this program. These computers are not for the people in hunger, are for people living in better conditions like that but still with some economic limitations, according to the FAQ in the One Laptop per Child website says countries considered for this program are China, India, Brazil, Argentina, Egypt, Nigeria, and Thailand.

How these computers will be distributed?, again, lets read the FAQ:

"The laptops will be sold to governments and issued to children by schools on a basis of one laptop per child."

Thread Closed share thread