Sketchbook Thread of Anthriel

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2006
Sketchbook Thread of Anthriel

-Please make sure to View the last page for latest updates!-

Hey everyone! I thought I'd start my own anatomy/sketchbook thread to improve my skills on a daily/weekly basis.

I hope you like my work

Let's start with a WIP master study from OFDW 16 Rembrandt (1606-1669)
Titus van Rijn in a Monk's Habit
Oil on canvas, 1660
31 1/4 x 26 1/2 inches (79.5 x 67.5 cm)
Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam

Thanks to Zhuzhu for instructions considering oil brushes

I'll update the painting soon

I hope you like it!

Last edited by Jokinen : 07 July 2006 at 12:33 AM. Reason: Added Banner

06 June 2006
its a very beautiful peice..how many hours did it you to work on it..
:3
i hope i see more stuff in your sketchbook thread :3

06 June 2006
its a very beautiful peice..how long did it take you to work on it..

i do hope to see more stuff in your sketchbook

06 June 2006
Thanks for the comment This is the result of about 2,5 hours of work.

Glad you like it!

-Juhani

06 June 2006
here's a watercolour sketch I did today- It must be over a year since I last painted with watercolours :S

Done from reference for the 15mins sketch thread.

Hope you like it!

-Juhani

06 June 2006
Hi Anthriel. I love the two peices you've done already. Are you painting digitally? If you are, what program? If you aren't... How are you getting such good scans!! Thats what I really want to know. I hope to see more from you soon!

-Christian

06 June 2006
Thanks for the compliement The first image was done completely in photoshop and the second one with traditional watercolours. I scanned the image and adjusted levels in photoshop to aquire that level of quality

Glad you liked them!

-Juhani

06 June 2006
Looking good here. I think in your first piece the mouth is a little off, try flipping the canvas horisontaly and you probably notice it better although when I look at the original painting I think it's slightly off aswell or maybe that's just me. I do think the mouth is a tad too small and it needs some subtle highlights. Keep it up!

06 June 2006
Yeah, i agree with you about the mouth It's still work in progress and I'll definitely improve it. I'm glad you like it!

Thanks for your comment!

-Juhani

06 June 2006
Here's a new sketch for you people It's actually my first digital watercolour image. I want to thank Zhuzhu for the pointers and help I really love this kind of sketching style- More to come!

Hope you like it!

-Juhani

06 June 2006
Smile

Juhani / Anthriel,

Welcome aboard! It's great to see your Anatomy Thread go up, and I look forward to seeing your progress here. It might be nice to know a bit about your background, and if you are in art school or planning to go. If you are a high school student preparing to go to art college, then I strongly recommend doing a lot of Traditional Drawing and Painting pieces, as that is what colleges look for in a Portfolio.

I particularly like the Rembrandt study, and hope that you will participate in many OFDWs!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

06 June 2006
Thanks for the reply Rebecca!

As for the personal info- I'm atm indeed a high school student and plan on pursuing a career either in architecture or as an industrial designer. Here in Finland we don't have anything like the awesome schools you do in the states, but you have to learn to live with that Although we have a very excellent architecture school founded by Alvar Aalto.

I'll definitely be doing more traditional art from now on and I'm also going to participate in coming OFDWs

Cheers,
-Juhani

06 June 2006
I like the soft colors on the last one.
not sure about the dark hues above the breasts...but the highlights on the belly are great!

06 June 2006
Smile

Juhani,

Looking forward to your OFDW participation! I'm not sure how it works for architectural schools, but I know that most art schools primarily look for Traditional (vs. Digital) work in an entrance Portfolio. Please make sure to check with the schools to which you are applying as to their Portfolio requirements, and hopefully you have a counselor / advisor of some sort who can help you with the application process. Looking forward to seeing more of your work! You are most welcome to work traditionally in the OFDWs.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

06 June 2006
Thanks for your advice Rebecca! And sorry for this delayed reply- I've been away from home for awhile. You are right about schools prefering traditional art. The school I'm trying to get into has a 3 phase application. First about 4 assignments of different areas which are sent to the school, then a math test and finally a drawing and painting test which lasts for four days.

If you have any threads you'd recommend for me in terms of practising my traditional side I would appreciate the help I'm extremely dedicated to art and want to learn as much about it as I possibly can

Thanks again!
-Juhani

Thread Closed share thread