possible to line up c4d and trapcodes 3d strokes?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2006   #1
possible to line up c4d and trapcodes 3d strokes?

Hi,
is it possible to line up a c4d animation with a matching trapcode 3d stroke in AE?

Here´s what I intend to do:
Export a moving light from cinema to AE,
import that path into AE,
get that path converted to a maskspline so it can build a lightstreak following the moving light.
Trapcode Particular can read the lights position info, but can it be done also with 3d strokes?
I just need to get that clear before buying the plugs.

Thanks a lot
Holger

Old 06 June 2006   #2
No, I don't think it will work. You can convert a motion path to a mask, but the path is on a 3d layer in AE, and 3D Stroke doesn't work properly with 3d layers.

Old 06 June 2006   #3
but you can do streaks following objects using the Tracer in the MoGraph module easily enough anyway so you may want to investigate that option too (i believe there's a light streaks preset included somehwere).

Old 06 June 2006   #4
Originally Posted by v-empire: Hi,
is it possible to line up a c4d animation with a matching trapcode 3d stroke in AE?

Here´s what I intend to do:
Export a moving light from cinema to AE,
import that path into AE,
get that path converted to a maskspline so it can build a lightstreak following the moving light.
Trapcode Particular can read the lights position info, but can it be done also with 3d strokes?
I just need to get that clear before buying the plugs.

Thanks a lot
Holger

No, 3DStroke can't be used in this fashion. You have no access to its internal transformation matrices and it would be a major pain to get it lined up (because you never know where exactly your stroke is in 3D space). Question for me is, what do you hope to achieve that you couldn't with C4D's tools (Sweep Nurbs, Tracer etc.)? If anything, you should consider Particular before 3DStroke for this type of stuff.

Mylenium

Old 06 June 2006   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread