Pixar releases Renderman Pro Server 13

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2006   #1
Pixar releases Renderman Pro Server 13

Multithreading + 3Xspeed for raytracing!

Here's the link to the press release

https://renderman.pixar.com/product....0_release.html

Old 05 May 2006   #2
This is the best release for a very long time.

The best thing for me is the approximate colour bleeding. Flicker-free and insanely fast. We don't neeeed no steeeenking raytracing!

You can have your characters photoreal, fast or cheap. Pick two.

Old 05 May 2006   #3
Hey there playmesumch00ns,

can you elaborate a bit more? Does the approximation work without raytracing? How's the raytrace-shading-eval-speedup in real production? Any other things to mention that don't show up in the press release?

Lot's of questions I know, but you're one of the proficient PRMan users on this forum.
Of course others are welcome to elaborate as-well.

Thanks,

Andy

Old 06 June 2006   #4
Could someone explain the "brick map as geometry" bit to me? I did a google search and perused graphics.pixar.com, but couldn't find much. Is that using multiple versions of tesselated geometry, held in a brick map-type structure, for LOD? Or something else?

Also curious to hear about the approx. color bleeding.

Old 06 June 2006   #5
Anyone have any idea when this version will filter down to Renderman for Maya?

Old 06 June 2006   #6
Originally Posted by Bonedaddy: Could someone explain the "brick map as geometry" bit to me? I did a google search and perused graphics.pixar.com, but couldn't find much. Is that using multiple versions of tesselated geometry, held in a brick map-type structure, for LOD? Or something else?

Also curious to hear about the approx. color bleeding.

brick maps are a sort of voxels containing texture information.

Here's something the guys at Pixar told about PRMan 13 last year.

Last edited by Titus : 06 June 2006 at 01:51 AM.

Old 06 June 2006   #7
Originally Posted by Bonedaddy: Could someone explain the "brick map as geometry" bit to me? I did a google search and perused graphics.pixar.com, but couldn't find much. Is that using multiple versions of tesselated geometry, held in a brick map-type structure, for LOD? Or something else?
Think of it almost as a multiresolution(3d Mipmap) point cloud that can hold something along the lines of vertex colors in video games.

Last edited by beaker : 06 June 2006 at 02:47 AM.

Old 06 June 2006   #8
This explains it more visually
http://www2.imm.dtu.dk/visiondag/VD...christensen.pdf

Old 06 June 2006   #9
Originally Posted by Titus: brick maps are a sort of voxels containing texture information.

Here's something the guys at Pixar told about PRMan 13 last year.

Right, I think I get that. If I'm understanding this paper correctly, it can also contain some shading information, like irradiance. And, if I extrapolate correctly, it may have something to do with deep shadows? However, given this definition of brick maps, I'm still not sure how that translates to "brickmaps as geometry."

Old 06 June 2006   #10
so... that's different from a standard lightmap how? just that it's an octree rather than a voxel grid? or merely different terminology same technology?

Old 06 June 2006   #11
Originally Posted by Bonedaddy: Right, I think I get that. If I'm understanding this paper correctly, it can also contain some shading information, like irradiance. And, if I extrapolate correctly, it may have something to do with deep shadows? However, given this definition of brick maps, I'm still not sure how that translates to "brickmaps as geometry."

Brickmaps can store whatever you want. In Per's paper, he is using it to store irradiance from a photon scattering pass. The jist of his results is that brickmaps are a faster and way more memory efficient than a standard kd tree. Most td's though, use brickmaps to store data like occlusion, shadows, or reflection.

Just to clarify things, a brickmap is a "3d, sparse, mip-mapped, octree", which basically means it's a fast, memory effecient, 3d texture (as opposed to point clouds / kd trees, which are fast, but are memory hogs and hard to filter). The advantage of brickmaps over baked 2d textures is that they are idependent of UV's and able to be blurred spatially (3d blur). Using spatial blurring instead of ray tracing can get you killer speed wins (think rough reflections or sss).

As for "brickmaps as geometry", this is a feature that allows you to render a brickmap directly, rather than read it from a shader. The data could come from a tesselated mesh whose color and opacity has been baked into the brickmap, or from something completely different, like a fluid sim. The main advantage seems to be lod: Take a complex object, like a pine tree, and bake it into a brickmap, then set dress the brickmap into the shot rather than the original object. When it comes time to render the brickmap in the distance, only the highest levels of the mip map will be needed and you save a ton of memory (no need to load all those bloody vertices).

I've spent way too much time with brickmaps...

Old 06 June 2006   #12
Paul, that sounds pretty amazing. I'll have to give that a go next time I'm in a position to monkey around with PRman a bit. Thanks for the info.

Old 06 June 2006   #13
Originally Posted by Bonedaddy: Right, I think I get that. If I'm understanding this paper correctly, it can also contain some shading information, like irradiance. And, if I extrapolate correctly, it may have something to do with deep shadows? However, given this definition of brick maps, I'm still not sure how that translates to "brickmaps as geometry."

Prior to v13 that's mostly what brickmaps were used for - a 3D file format for shading info that had the benefites of mip-maping and load on demand. Multiple 'channels' of different types (colors, normals, points etc) can be contained in a single brickmap. Version 13 allows brickmaps to be rendered directly. So roughly speeking, each voxel from some appropriate level in the brickmap is diced into a micropolygon and resolved by the hider in the same way as any other primitive such as subd or polys.

It's pretty cool because you get automatic level of detail. Create a brickmap of some ultra high rez geometry and you can render it in linear time at any size on screen, with correspondingly low memory usage.

T

Old 06 June 2006   #14
Mmm, all sounds pretty nice indeed!

Maya, 3Delight, mentalray, Maxwell Render, ZBrush
Photoshop, Fusion, Vegas Pro, Syntheyes

Old 06 June 2006   #15
oooh yes, I've been looking forward to this in a while.

Thread Closed share thread