how do you render a wireframe?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2002   #1
how do you render a wireframe?

Sorry, this is maybe a funny question, but how do you render a wireframe in XSI? Of course you could use the buld in screen caputre camera, but how can I render a wireframe using mental ray or the softiamge renderer in XSI 1.5?
In Soft 3D 3.9 it was just one button, now in XSI none is there, what do I have to do?
Thanks

Old 03 March 2002   #2
Hello Raffel,

Use the toon shader, it has wireframe rendering capabilities. For more info see this thread: Wire Render
- www.EdHarriss.com

Old 03 March 2002   #3
Why would you render out a wireframe with mental ray instead of just doing a capture? What are the advantages? I've been doing captures from my camerea view port and they been working great i just export them to premier everything works fine.

Old 03 March 2002   #4
I thought about Antialiasing, shader effects etc. Then I could actually have an environment with lights etc, but the model would appear in wireframe....but with the shade that Ed said this is probably possible.

Old 03 March 2002   #5
With a mental ray wireframe render you can have both wire and heavily textured objects in the same scene. With capture you are limited to the best OpenGL can give you. (I.E. No motion blur, one texture per object, a limited number of lights, non-adjustable anti-aliasing, etc....) Also you can send mental ray wire renders to a renderfarm. I don't think that you can do that with capture renders.
- www.EdHarriss.com

Old 03 March 2002   #6
not many folks know this

but you can go into the explorer, under SCENE, and there is an icon called scene colours..

from there you can change the colours of the wireframe layout.. (the viewports, points, etc)

and then you can do a capture to render in whatever colour wireframe (or BG) you want

Foodi

Old 01 January 2006   #7
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread