Character WIP - Elf dude

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2006
Character WIP - Elf dude

hey guys, been awhile... I'm just getting started on a new model, and looking for any crits you can offer. So far he's sitting at around 1700 tris, I'm not really all that concerned about polycount. I'm not sure if I should suit him up in armor, or go lightweight leather style... anyway thanks for looking.

Last edited by jfalconer : 07 July 2006 at 12:42 PM.

05 May 2006
no crits at all, very nice mesh work

05 May 2006
haven't worked on him too much, just trying to work out a decent looking concept. I took some elements from FF Tactics I liked. I can't decide if I should leave him as an elf, since so far its only his pointy ears... the rest would show itself in the color and textures on his armor (probably go with some tree/leaf motifs). Anyway, fire away!

Last edited by jfalconer : 05 May 2006 at 01:10 AM.

05 May 2006
The hair in your first post looks almost "painterly", was that your intention? If it is it will be interesting how you apply that aesthetic to the rest of the model.

Good luck and keep going!

05 May 2006
I like the concept, it feels nice and solid all the way down to the hips, below I'm not to sure. The shoulders and everything else seems very functional and reasonable flexible, especially the joints by the feet on the other hand seem very stiff. Maybe have another whack at them? At least that’s my suggestion :]

05 May 2006

Lower armor doesn't need to be all that flexible, but I agree that it doesn't quite match the look of the upper armor. I'll probably add more pieces to the foot (in texture), like this picture shows, so that it has some flexibility. I also changed his ears... so... well, so much for the elf wip! its now a knight wip.

Last edited by jfalconer : 05 May 2006 at 10:41 PM.

05 May 2006
Looking good keep working

05 May 2006
yeah nice work, your character model is great jfalconer be looking in here for your next update.

05 May 2006
Gave him a new haircut because the old one was too simple (and easy)... that took awhile! and detailed the greaves... will start on the arms next. Thanks for the encouragement guys!

05 May 2006
The head is pretty awesome - you do hair very well.. One tiny nitpick, the belt on the right curves up and then goes straight before it touches his pouch. It should probably slouch more. You should post a side view as well, once you're done the arms.

05 May 2006
Very nice model, I'm waiting for more.

05 May 2006
Thanks Ardeni... Started working on the arms but still have to do the elbow pads and work on the main shoulder pad a little more. His hands are only blocked in... still, I had to render him out now that he's taking shape. I'm thinking about adding a cape, and while I'm not 100% sure he'll wield only a sword I added that in too for effect. Anyway, I agree with you Ramza concerning the belt, I will fix it later. Also, what do you guys think of the gold trim? Should I leave it in? And lastly, in case you're wondering, I will not leave the armor that way -- I plan on doing intricate inlays over everything...

05 May 2006
good job

look good so far~~~ keep going..

06 June 2006
Thanks Mio! I'm workin, I'm workin...

After working on the gauntlets I decided to take a little break from the Knight and start on the environment he'll be in. Don't mind the stretching/repeating stuff on the back wall, I'm still in the process of laying it all out. I'm also going to add more details to the pillars and what not, stains, crevices etc... just haven't gotten around to it yet... more to come...

06 June 2006
OK some more work done on the background (still far from finished )... I haven't done much environmental stuff before (I usually like to focus on characters) so I figured this is good practice. I'm still working on the texture and some of the architectural details (such as railings for the stairs, etc)...

Last edited by jfalconer : 06 June 2006 at 11:47 AM.

Thread Closed share thread