MR for maya textures with transparency

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2006   #1
MR for maya textures with transparency

Hello all.

I am using mr for maya 7.0. For the past few weeks I have been stuck on something and maybe someone out there has some experience with it. I am trying to build a material with a texture that has an alpha, in mental ray. Specifically, I am rendering a cell phone( i know, very original), I have a base material that i am using for the plastic. On top of that i want to use a texture file for the numbers of the keypad, something i can animate on and off. For the keypad numbers I have a texture image file with an alpha.

This is a learning exercise for me, so I want to be able to do this with mr nodes. I am trying to find the equivalent to a maya procedural layered shader.

So far nothing has been working. I can manage to get a transparent material using mib_transparency or mib_opacity nodes, combing them with mib_color_mix.

Not really looking for the complete answere, more of a point in the right direction. Any suggestions would be awesome.

Old 05 May 2006   #2
the equivalent of Maya's native layered shader would probably be Francesca's mix8layer, or the version Pixero altered; mix20layer. those have a lot of different blending modes, and i'm pretty sure they're all animatable. if you have anything plugged into your base shader's shading group though (for instance SSS lightmaps or shadow transparency) you'll need to plug it into the mix layer's shading group.

Old 05 May 2006   #3
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread