AM dialogue shot: WIP thread

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2006   #1
AM dialogue shot: WIP thread

Hey everyone, I'm starting my next AM assignment and have decided to start a WIP thread for it. Right now I'm in the blocking stage and was wondering if you guys could give me some crits on what I have so far:

Blocking

I want Bishop to read as this michivous kid who's feeling cocky right now because he's been left at home alone. He thinks he's in charge and as a result can play with all the matches he wants. If you guys have any comments on how to push his arrogance please let me know.

Right now the shot's in it's second blocking pass which includes the golden poses and some keys. I'll up-date the shot throughout the day. Thanks guys!

Oh, by the way, Bishop's face is blank because we aren't allowed to use the facial controls yet.

Old 05 May 2006   #2
Hello again. I'm adding breakdowns now and came across a possible problem. Here's a link to my video ref so you guys will know what I'm about to refer to:

Video Ref

here's the blocking:

Blocking

Ok, in my video ref I kinda twirl the make-shift match in fingers while the dialogue track is going on about how mom and dad say I shouldn't play with matches. In my blocking I've put included the two largest changes in position that my hand and the match make during that segment. My question is should I simplify it and left those be the only movements that the character does with the match, or should I use all of the stuff that goes on with the match in my video ref?

Old 05 May 2006   #3
Alright, here's my wip of the third blocking pass:

Blocking Pass 3

The breakdown on frame 80 goes way too fast. I'm thinking of moving Bishop closer to the stool so he doesn't have to make such a huge "leap" to get to the second to last pose. Oh, does anyone know how to make a smear in 3d? I'm also considering using one of those or a multiple images frame to help get to the second to last pose. What do you guys think?

Old 05 May 2006   #4
Alright, here's the "completed" third blocking pass. There are still things that can be tweaked and more breakdowns that can be added, but I've decided to move on for now. I have a bad habit of spending hours tweaking small things and running out of time as the result.

Blocking pass 3

Old 05 May 2006   #5
pretty cool so far, though when he says 'they're not here right now' and moves his head in close i would make it even closer and more direct and perhaps bend the bears head back a bit while he does it, just to add more emphasis on the crazyness of that bit.....just a thought though still works fine with out

Old 05 May 2006   #6
I was watching my mentor's critique of my video ref and was reminded that he said Bishop should come across as arrogant more so than threatening. I saw how my mentor acted out the last part and decided to try another version of my shot that incorporates his acting in it. My mentor said not to lean in to the bear so much but to kinda bounce around annoyingly. I have to be careful not to overdo it, as Bishop still needs to read as cocky.

Here's the less aggressive version:

http://studentpages.scad.edu/~jcofe...k7Blocking2.avi

and the original version

http://studentpages.scad.edu/~jcofe...ek7Blocking.avi

Any tips on how to make Bishop even more cocky?

Oh, I'm going to work on the bounces after I finish posting this.

Thanks for the crit, Dalmanna! I had thought about trying to rig the bear and had decided to do it after I finished blocking, if I had time. Since you brought it up too, I'll make sure it gets done before the animation is finished. Thata good idea you have with bringing Bishop closer and moving the bear's head! I want to do it, but I'm rather confused now. My mentor wants me to make Bishop cocky, rather than threatening. I'm not really sure how to to sell that through the whole yelling thing. :(

Old 05 May 2006   #7
Alright, it's 4:43am and I can't think anymore. Here's what I'm turning in. Any tips on how I can make him more arrogant?

http://studentpages.scad.edu/~jcofer20/C3week7Blocking.avi

I plan on pushing Bishop's spine more so that it's bent backwards further on some of the poses. Hopefully that will help.

Last edited by Darknessseeker0 : 05 May 2006 at 08:44 AM.

Old 05 May 2006   #8
I was able to upload another version before the deadline. I've tilted Bishop's head up and away from the bear in the beginning and raised his chest throughout the entire shot. I also adjusted his arms in the beginning so that they make a smaller arc. Last, I readjusted Bishop's head at the end. Hopefully he looks more arrogant now.

Blocking

Old 05 May 2006   #9
hmm maby have him pick up the teddy bear.

Old 05 May 2006   #10
The acting prior to "They're not here right now are they!", seems good, and appropriate for the dialogue. However that phrase should have several strong poses accompanying it, as it has the most emphasis in the line. The poses you have atm really are not a strong departure from the preceding animation.

Old 05 May 2006   #11
Thanks rblitz and Goon! Sorry for the lack of up-dates, I had to take some time to work on SCAD homework. I'm pretty much completely redoing my blocking. I'm getting rid of the bear and changing the ending. I expect to post something later this evening, as I am in class right now.

Old 05 May 2006   #12
Okay, here's the new version of my blocking. What do you guys think?

http://studentpages.scad.edu/~jcofer20/C3week7Blocking2.avi

Quite a few of my peers liked the fact that the bear is lit on fire in my original blocking. What do you guys think about a stack of bears in the background and having Bishop's match land on them?

Last edited by Darknessseeker0 : 05 May 2006 at 02:34 AM.

Old 05 May 2006   #13
Uh-oh, it looks like my mentor likes my original blocking better...

http://studentpages.scad.edu/~jcofer20/C3week7Blocking.avi

Old 05 May 2006   #14
Haha, that's wise of you to be getting crits in as many forums as possible.

Old 05 May 2006   #15
Talking

Wow! you're posting here on this forum too? Cool. heheheh...... Yes, its good to get as much feedback as you can. Keep animating.

Good luck.
-A

Animation Blog

Thread Closed share thread