Learning How to Draw, A Journal by warpy

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2006   #1

Greetings,

i have been doing a lot of drawing the past couple of years and about a month ago i decided to actually take the time and go study with a private teacher.
its actually quite nice working in the same room with people who can draw better than you, while having a master teacher at your disposal.

my previous drawing thread: warpy's sketchbook

i wish i had done this thing many many moons ago, its very cheap and it would have saved me a whole lot of frustrations in the whole process of figuring out things on my own.

i decided to post my progress, i will try to update every once in a while so that newbies like me can actually learn a thing or two on how things are done in the real world.. yea the one OUTSIDE of your computer room.

i would like to add that i am writing this on the fly and i am sorry if there are any typos, most of it should be clear to any english speaking newbie

okay so here we go...

Last edited by warpy : 08 August 2006 at 09:34 AM.

Old 05 May 2006   #2
week 01 lesson 01

so here i am at the new studio, my first lesson was 4.5 hours..
my teacher's name is george.. so from now on i'll just call he george, easy right ?

now you must remember that i have started drawing couple of years ago and before i went to the first lesson i was prepared to do the BASICS all over again! i cant stress this enough, if you dont know your basics then nothing is going to work properly for you in the future.

so i have about a month of doing basic drawings and to tell you the truth its pretty fun..

for the first hour and a half he talked to me about many things, tried to see where i am headed with this and if i am serious, a good teacher will want you to sit in his class and just waste your time while giving him money, he will want you to put hours and hours of work into your drawing skills. he will even give you homework.

so he tells me to draw this doggy doll in 10 minutes, i have never done a drawing under 30 minutes and i wasnt comfortable with this, but i still did it.. 10 minutes passed and now he tells me to doodle (he called this "gesture" i dont know the proper name for this.. but we can call this doodling.
so anyways i am doodling this doggy doll, i did about 10 doodling, each took 1 minute, its all about the contour and not the actual drawing, this is suppose to give your drawing some animation, doodling will make you see the dynamic movement of a still object (people trace it afterwards to get a better shape) but the whole thing is realy about capturing movement.

as you can see, the first picture is the one i did in 10 minutes, and the rest are the doodling that imo are actually better.. they do show the movement or the dynamic pose of the doggy doll..

i was pretty happy with how this was and we continued..

Last edited by warpy : 05 May 2006 at 09:26 PM.

Old 05 May 2006   #3
week 01 lesson 02

next thing we practiced shading, we did this gradient row of squares shading it with the pencil and then going from the second square to the last one, while adding more graphite to it, then from the 3rd square to the last one, this way we get a nice gradient.. this was good practice and was done because next i was suppose to take a bunch of boxes and shade them.

first i did some thumbnailing to see what the shading on the bigger version is going to look like, i actually moved myself in the process to get a different angle that suited me better.

this is suppose to be a lesson about shading, shading boxes, making them look 3d with respect to the enviroment and themselves and learning how to use the pencil to get 12 variation of color.

you can see that there are reflections, shading, shadows, and each plane of the box is receiving a different shade color, over all there should be atleast 12 shading colors.
the first set of boxes is what i did in class, the second one is what i did on my own time as homework..

i started with a low level color, and started to give each surface its own shade, then i tried to balance the whole picture, keeping in mind that the strengh of light is different on each surface, so if 2 surfaces started to look the same color, i added more color to the darker one, thus balancing the whole picture to a finished state.

Lessons learned :
1. the background coloring pushes the boxes and makes them look 3d
2. shadows also have reflections (like in a pool)
3. there is no need for hard edges, with just color variation between surfaces,
the actual feeling you get without hard edges is so much better, look at the small
box and you will see that there is no hard edge realy, but it looks hard edged..
4. you must stay inside the frame, although you can go out of it and erase afterwards,
but the end result should be inside the frame.

Last edited by warpy : 05 May 2006 at 05:42 AM.

Old 05 May 2006   #4
week 01 Homework

now i am a full time student, i am studying computer science and well.. i have so many classes, so in my classes i started doing my drawing homework, i dont realy write in class so what is better than to draw

did a few doodles of people around campus (moving people, this doodle is so quick that you can actually doodle walking people) i also went to the anatomy thread of icey and doodled his drawings.

the mistakes i did were that i shouldnt have just drawn the out line of the body, george says that i should doodle like a kid and do the insides which is MORE important, because it captures the animation of the object, later on you can select your edges from that same doodle and do something fancy with it, according to him (and he supplied proof) a lot of the old masters did this.

Last edited by warpy : 05 May 2006 at 08:18 PM.

Old 05 May 2006   #5
week 01 lesson 03

from now on for the 10 first minutes of the drawing lesson i should do 10 quick doodles, there are many ways to do this, because i am in a class with a few other people, they are constantly moving, so its 1 drawing per minute of someone ...

as you can see i corrected my mistake and now the bodies are not hollow, they have doodly lines in them.

the lesson continuted and today i am suppose to do cylinders, cylinders as opposed to cubes has smooth gradient, they dont have surfaces that just take different shade of gray.
remember that adding shadow to the end result gives it a better 3d looks.

Instructions :

1. do a bunch of cylinders and do the shading properly, full gradient with the 12 gradient colors but the transition has to be smooth.
2. make sure i have done the inside of the cylinder, as you can see its actually backwards because the light source is hitting the inside of the cylinder on the farthest side and not on the front.
3. add the return light to the back of the cylinder, this light should not be as strong as the shading on the front of the cylinder.

Last edited by warpy : 05 May 2006 at 08:26 PM.

Old 05 May 2006   #6
Talking

nice^^ i see you practiced alot there, good work. ^^

Old 05 May 2006   #7
Smile

Hi warpy,

I like the idea for this thread, and it's nice to see your progress ~ how many more classes like this will you be taking?

Would you mind capitalizing your title, like so:

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 05 May 2006   #8
Nice job, man, good to see you pushing yourself.

Old 05 May 2006   #9
@ rebecca: i tried, but no idea how, can you do it please ??
as long as i still want to, afford it, its good for me ... probably a long time lol

@ lotekk, thanks man hopefully this will be the place for all noobs to come and push themselves.. *crossing fingers*

Old 05 May 2006   #10
I will be keeping an eye on this thread.
This will be a great threat, I am looking forward to your updates.

-R
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 05 May 2006   #11
Way to go Warpy. Its indeed a very good idea. Goodluck!

::Flemish Classical Atelier::
Art residencies:: Intensive Drawing and Painting workshops
in Brugge, Belgium

Old 05 May 2006   #12
great idea!! i hope to learn from it as well .. which i think is the objective of the thread.. thanks a lot

Old 05 May 2006   #13
Smile

warpy,

One thing that I strongly recommend is to do a number of 2-5-10 or -15 minute gesture exercise sequences as can be found posted here at the beginning of the Beginners' Lounge thread:

Gesture Exercises
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpos...581&postcount=1

I really think that doing these exercises, either traditionally or digitally, will greatly advance your study of the figure.

You can also find lots of goodies here:

Master Copy Resources
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=354836

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 05 May 2006   #14
Hi Ori,

already told you how much I like the idea beid this thread and how useful it will turn out to be for all of us beginners.

Practising basic shapes is a very good exercise which can be applied to many things. You will find yourself shading anatomical shapes the way you learned shading basic shapes, because they are hidden all over the place!

Looking forward to your updates, man!

Old 05 May 2006   #15
HI WARPY ...GREAT IDEA for a thread ....

When I first learned to really DRAW and REALLY SEE ...what I was LOOKING AT, we used the same metod of SPOTLIGHTING SHAPES ..sphere circle triangle cube ect.
We used a mechanial pencil, with an assortment of leads ...from soft to hard, and a piece of
sand paper, to keep the leads... SUPPER SHARP, with a very fine NEDDLE POINT...gotten by
rolling the tip of the lead between the fingertips, while incased in a little strip of sandpaper,
held between or fingertips...the sharper the point, the finer the DRAWING or RENDERING.
We were not allowed to use the side of the lead, but were taught to use just the very sharp tip of the lead...and to kind of prick the paper with the point,...filling in every pore of the paper
in the process with these tiny pin pricks.
Our first exercise was to do a gray scale chart....one inch squres...ten or twelve...placed in a row, and going from top to bottom, ...we would fill in each squre ...starting with hardest
lead for the lightest shade, and ending up with the softest lead for the darkest shade at
the other end of the scale...what we ended up with was a seamless scale of VALUES, from
light to dark...Took a week using this method... The point of this method, and the result
was to teach us to slow down, and to REALLY SEE what we were LOOKING AT.
Then we went on to do SPOTLIGHTED cubes sphers ect....and finally ended up doing organic
shapes from nature...I think my first one was a crab claw....took a month...had to do it ten
times larger than it actually was..,by theTIME , I had gotten done with it, I realized that I had been on a journy that taught me to ...SEE...

GOOD LUCK ON YOUR JOURNY....YOU ARE DEFENITLY ON THE RIGHT PATH....

TAKE CARE
Glenn

Thread Closed share thread