WIRED:Virtual Land, REAL laws (Second Life LAWSUIT)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2006   #1
WIRED:Virtual Land, REAL laws (Second Life LAWSUIT)

Quote:
"In what might be a first-of-its-kind lawsuit, a Pennsylvania lawyer is suing the publisher of the rapidly growing online world Second Life, alleging the company unfairly confiscated tens of thousands of dollars worth of his virtual land and other property.

The attorney, Marc Bragg of West Chester, Pennsylvania, says game developer Linden Lab unilaterally shut down his Second Life account, cutting off his access to a substantial portfolio of real estate and currency in the virtual world. He's demanding $8,000 in restitution"

http://wired.com/news/culture/0,709...culture_games_1

-R
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 05 May 2006   #2
Oh please let this kind of thing kill off second life.

Old 05 May 2006   #3
why? people seem to enjoy Second Life, except that poor lawyer. just chillax.

Old 05 May 2006   #4
This is great news! A possible future that could take all the attention of both hackers and lawers away from the general population. Wow, who would have thought it could have been so simple.
Proverbs 17:28 - Even a fool is counted wise when he holds his peace; When he shuts his lips, he is considered perceptive.

Old 05 May 2006   #5
Second life is what exactly?

Old 05 May 2006   #6
http://secondlife.com/whatis/

Can't really see the appeal personally, but it seems to be popular. I barely have enough time in my real life to be worrying about taking on a virtual one.

Old 05 May 2006   #7
i like the idea of second life, but have no time to try it, but the storys that come out of it are funny and thought provoking,

did you hear about the mafia boss, that moved from the sims to second life

Old 05 May 2006   #8
Don't they have courts in Second Live for stuff like this?

I mean, how can they call it a virtual world without lawyers, hookers, traffic cops, serial killers and/or similar creatures.

There should be no need to chicken out to the "real world"...

Old 05 May 2006   #9
looks like eminent domain is making it to the virtual world as it is in this one I mean honestly, this is rediculous. I forsee humanity eating itself alive with this outlandish stuff. Brave New World here we come.

-B

Old 05 May 2006   #10
So if I i get banned from Guild Wars or WoW they should reimberse me for all the extremely rare and pricy items I had gathered based on how much they could be sold through online trading.

Old 05 May 2006   #11
you deserve the right to have that reviewed by the courts. people haev killed over ingame items. at little rediculous if you ask me. but so is the value of some stamps collection. (apt prices in LA)

Old 05 May 2006   #12
can you imagine what would happen if the server died. class action lawsuits...

Old 05 May 2006   #13
Here's how Second Life works.
Its an inbetween of all the perverted and possibly illegal crap in real life, and the perverted and possibly illegal crap online. It all comes together to create this vortex of sickness that just should not exist.

Old 05 May 2006   #14
Originally Posted by CupOWonton: vortex of sickness that just should not exist.

Sounds cool, I'll have to check it out

Old 05 May 2006   #15
Second Life hit on the winning formula: users will embrace a virtual world that looks terrible and runs terribly, provided they have absolute control over and customizability of their environment and avatars, and can create whatever they want in it. Even if the editing tools are terrible.

All that said, the moment they allow imported geometry, textures, and animation from extracurricular editors (I am not counting Poser here), and geometry that isn't composed entirely out of primitives, I will be glad to get all up ins. There's gold in them thar hills, after all.

Thread Closed share thread