performing math operations within maya

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2006   #1
performing math operations within maya

Is there any sort of built in mathematical function in maya for entering values? for example, say you want a sphere that has a radius of 1/27. is there a way to type this into maya rather than having to consult a calculator every time I have a fraction I need to enter? Thanks.

Davido Hyer

Old 05 May 2006   #2
in a way yes and no..

there is a little trick I didn't know until someone told me a little while ago.

I haven't fully tested where this will work, but I do know it works in the channel box and in the graph editor, so I am assuming it will work in most places that have a text field box.

Using your example, if you had a sphere and you wanted to reduce it to 1/27th is radius

than in the radius (or scale depending on where you want to put it) you would enter this in replacing the number currently there:

*=0.037037

this will take whatever the current value and multiply it by 0.037037 which is the same as multiplying it by 1/27 or you could say divide it by 27... Maya for some reason does not like /=27 nor does it like *=(1/27)

you can do this with +=NUMBER and -=NUMBER, I haven't tried any other math expressions, but it greatly helps out with quick reductions or multipies.

so yo umay have to do some initial math.. but I hope that helps!

-Scott

its very simple and if you wanted

Old 05 May 2006   #3
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread