Rendering shadow passes for particles...advice please!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2006
Question Rendering shadow passes for particles...advice please!

Hey there!

This may be a serious overtired oversight on my behalf... but whether rendering using Maya Software or Mental Ray i can't get a shadow pass from particles, even tho they are casting shadows in the default beauty pass, and in the shadow pass i'm getting the correct information from the geometry (ie. just the shadows!) but the particles are still being rendered as if it were a beauty pass...but without their shadows.... I'm stuck!

any advice/suggestions would be most appreciated...and thanks for reading this far! ^^

05 May 2006
Mr Griffin.
To quote a member from a previous thread with a similar subject.

Quote: Emil3d
I actually found the Render Layers as a great time saver and pretty straightforward.

You put in a render layer all items from the scene that contribute to the effect you want. If you want a shadow preset, select the shadow casting and receiving object(s), and the light(s) causing the shadow(s), then just click on the Create Render Layer with Selected Objects button and thatís it. Maya will automatically create and assign a background shader to shadow receiving objects and render only them. In addition to this with the available layer blending modes, you donít even need another program to composite, just choose Render All Layers and Render View will render the shadows composed over the image plane with the photo. Further more, in the Render All Layerís options you can choose Composite and Keep Layers, so that you can save each layer individually in case you still want to edit them in another program.

That should answer your question spoonnoodle

05 May 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread