ATI or Nvidia???

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

View Poll Results: Which on is more powerful
Nvidia Geforce 4 Ti 4600 28 68.29%
Radeon 9700 13 31.71%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2003   #1
ATI or Nvidia???

I personally got a G4 4200. i heard that there isn't a much different between 4200 and 4600.

Also, how much different between Radeon 9k and 9700?

Old 01 January 2003   #2
nvidia all the way....no contest

Old 01 January 2003   #3
ati seems to have the fastest cards across the board...regardless of price. i personally have the radeon 8500 128meg and am really happy with it. their drivers have gotten a LOT better in the last 8 months or so (IMHO).

As far as the higher end workstation video cards, im not too familiar so i cant offer an opinion.

hope this helps,

sedric

Old 01 January 2003   #4
the R9700 (non-pro) is quicker, its the 2nd quickest card out atm, after the 9700 pro. the ti4600 is comparable in terms of speed to the R9500 pro

there is quite a bit of difference between the 4600 and 4200, but bang for buck the 4200 is better.
im not sure about the differences between the 9k and 9700...
you can get a few benchies on a lot of cards at http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphi...1218/index.html and decide which one's the best...

Old 01 January 2003   #5
thx for the site. it is very obveious that 9700 is stronger. and AMD kills Intel

Old 01 January 2003   #6
The 9700 pro is a great card...if your just playing games. However the instant you bring it into application situations, faults start appearing. There are known issues with a variety of apps. If I'm not mistaken, I've seen problems in both max, and in XSI with the card, I can't speak for maya or lw though.

In this regard, the real poll should be against a FireGL X1, vs a Quadro 980XL...as both of these cards are actually workstation designated.

Old 01 January 2003   #7
NVidia

Old 01 January 2003   #8
i am going to get my card tobe soft quadro for sure. XSI will support it.

Old 01 January 2003   #9
Originally posted by sedric
ati seems to have the fastest cards across the board...regardless of price... As far as the higher end workstation video cards, im not too familiar so i cant offer an opinion.

I think more often than not the NV cards are faster. R300 is a fast chip and all the varients built from that will be at or towards the top for gaming until GeForce FX ships this month.

For workstation, it is no contest. NV cards have been faster to date and I imagine a workstation NV30 will increase that lead.

Last edited by CgFX : 01 January 2003 at 09:42 PM.

Old 01 January 2003   #10
the top workstation cards are the ATi FireGL X1 and the nvidia quadro4 980XGL.

both are AGP8X cards based on the top of the line GPUs from both companies.

there are plenty of threads already about these two cards, with many a debate over which is better for what.

this is only my opinion, and entirely based on results from the web (as i don't have a firegl x1 to compare to my quadro4 cards, but that will change early march), but it seems with the latest driver release from both companies the ati is pulling ahead slightly in it's raw wireframe polygon throughput, while the nvidia still holds it's own, but does slightly better in heavily texture-shaded and complex lighting scenes. again, this is only from what i've heard, read and seen, so don't take it as gospel (hell, even i don't trust it until i have a chance to test it myself).

the release of both the r350 and nv30 chipsets from both companies is very close, which means there could well be workstation models of each within 6 months (indeed a few forum members have already confirmed the plans for nvidia to release a "workstation geforce FX", and i'm hoping ati follow suite with their r350 chip).

at any rate, chip performance is going up, and prices are coming down (slowly). exciting times for all.

but yes, looking at the gaming variants (geforce4ti and radeon 9X00) i'd go with the geforce4 for CAD/DCC, and the radeon for games. depends what you want most from your system.

Old 01 January 2003   #11
We were told that ATI's FireGL X1 256 MB has been delayed so I don't believe any R350 product is coming soon.

Old 01 January 2003   #12
that's a real shame. if nvidia bring their geforceFX based workstation card out while ATi's top dog is still the X1, unless ATi change their pricing they're going to lose out big time.

Old 01 January 2003   #13
Definitely nVidia
http://www.soltekusa.com/product/sh...ctid=1041060567 looks good.

Old 01 January 2003   #14
Personally i'd like to see ATI be the most advanced....Mainly cause they have a tendancy to cap their prices lower

I don't know too much about their new FireGL series, Just heard that it puts out and outstanding performance for 3D software in particular.

Old 01 January 2003   #15
Originally posted by The Cross
Personally i'd like to see ATI be the most advanced....Mainly cause they have a tendancy to cap their prices lower

Slower requires lower. :-)

I don't know too much about their new FireGL series, Just heard that it puts out and outstanding performance for 3D software in particular.

The best measure of true 3D software performance "in particular" is SPECapc. If the new FireGL's are outstanding than the Quadro's must be spec-freakin-tacular as almost all the FireGL and Wildcat numbers have been pulled to avoid the obvious. (http://www.spec.org/gpc/apc.static/apcfaq.htm)

Last edited by CgFX : 01 January 2003 at 07:20 AM.

Thread Closed share thread