Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 05-13-2006, 01:02 PM   #1
Maladie
Digitally Challenged

Rinske Verberg
Utrecht, Netherlands

Maladies character sketches

Hello everybody!

I've decided to start, along with my practice thread, a separate thread for character sketches. I want to learn all sorts of techniques, but next to that I really want to learn how to develop my own characters. I'm searching for ways to express myself in that field, both technically and stylewise. Still very much in the beginning stages, so be kind.

The sketches in here are meant to be quick practice pieces. For me it's more a matter of doing a lot and experimenting than going into separate pieces very deeply. However that may change when (if) I get better. I hope to get your support, tips and crits to improve. Every sort of comment will be helpful to me (apart from 'you suck').

Here are some pieces I've done, the most recent on top:

Last edited by Maladie : 05-13-2006 at 01:05 PM.

Old 05-13-2006, 02:02 PM   #2
pap87
Lord of the posts

portfolio
John Papafotiou
Lighting TD
Wellington, New Zealand

Ah, a brand new progress thread. Hopefully one day when there are twenty pages you can look back at the this page and the difference will strike you.
Right now most of the pictures here are lacking much contrast, they are a little flat. Don't want to have to start on such a bad note, though, sorry.
On a much better note I can say for certain that the Egyptian queen picture is the best so far because it has a lot of depth.
This is still the beginning of what will surely be a fruitful time for you in developing your style like you said.
Keep up the hard work!

Old 05-13-2006, 05:57 PM   #3
Maladie
Digitally Challenged

Rinske Verberg
Utrecht, Netherlands

owch, that hurt...but you're very right. I was just scribling away with them but I just don't have the skills yet to pull of a more stylized work. So I just had a great idea. I'm going to do a lot of the images in greyscale and give them depth. Thanks!

Old 05-14-2006, 12:40 AM   #4
Maladie
Digitally Challenged

Rinske Verberg
Utrecht, Netherlands

An attempt to make a greyscale for the lemming-marsupilami creature. Definately very insightful, but hard, I might want to practice this more with ref.

Old 05-14-2006, 04:29 AM   #5
pap87
Lord of the posts

portfolio
John Papafotiou
Lighting TD
Wellington, New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maladie
owch, that hurt

So sorry, I can be such a bastard a lot of the time. But I'm glad you took it well and got some ideas out of it. I'll try to be nicer next time !

Old 05-14-2006, 12:23 PM   #6
Runecaster
A Labyrinthine Mind

portfolio
Lizzie Bailey
Charlotte, USA

Aww the little squirrel fellow is so cute!

About crits: I know they can feel hurtful sometimes - but in all honesty, its the only way we can learn. Sometimes we are just not the best people to critque our own stuff. We need fresh eyes to see... and to be perfectly honest -- if they see it 'wrong' then that is truly our fault as the artist. We are trying to portray a vision we see and translate that to the viewer for s/he to experience it -- if they are commenting about it in a totally different way than WE inteded as the artist, then we have to own up to that and admit that we did something along the way that didn't translate well for the viewer.

As far as technical crits, those are even harder to take sometimes... but try to be objective. People here are so busy doing their own thing and wanting their own crits - that anyone who actually takes the time to stop what they are doing and give a crit is actually being quite helpful. It's hard to hear we don't handle something well --- but we're just learning!! You have to crawl to be able to walk - and you have to be able to walk steady before you can run... then you have to train and train your body well to run fast and/or long. Think of it in those terms. I know for damn sure I'm barely crawling. But hey, at least we're moving in the right direction

*HUGS*

-L.H.

Portfolio

Old 05-14-2006, 02:10 PM   #7
Iridyse
terrified of green!

portfolio
Shreya Shetty
Los Angeles, USA

Maladie, I checked your other thread and it seems like you've improved by leaps and bounds. You should be proud of yourself There are certain things you could improve upon of course, but it's just a matter of practice. I won't talk about anatomy since I'm not very good at it myself:P
About the monochromes, it's really easy to fix. Just use low opacity in the brush and paint away, it's amazing how much life a little bit of red and green can add to the skin Something I learnt from Linda Bergkvist is about using cyan for highlights on the skin, it really helps the fleshtones. But these are things you learn as you go along. Just keep painting

LabyrinthineMind, that was very nicely said

Old 05-14-2006, 03:33 PM   #8
Maladie
Digitally Challenged

Rinske Verberg
Utrecht, Netherlands

Hiiri and Laby, thanks for the support! And pap87, it's totally cool. I took the advice at heart to give things more depth = more greyscale work. I did this squirrel from a ref, want to use what I've learnt as a base to improve my lemsupilami. I realise now it's way better for me to practice from refs first. To keep it interesting however, I'm going to try to apply that practice to my own pieces. I'll just use refs for them all the time. This took about 30 min.

Old 05-14-2006, 07:38 PM   #9
Runecaster
A Labyrinthine Mind

portfolio
Lizzie Bailey
Charlotte, USA

^^^ Amazing!!! Wonderful job Maladie

-L.H.

Portfolio

Old 05-14-2006, 10:02 PM   #10
Maladie
Digitally Challenged

Rinske Verberg
Utrecht, Netherlands

Animals are fun!! *claps hands like little kid*
Sorry guys, I know these aren't exactly character sketches, but I thought it made more sense if I studied one subject thoroughly, then make my own creation, instead of scribbling away like before, having an idea but not capable to visualize it yet. So. Rodents it is!

This was done in about 15 minutes.

Old 05-14-2006, 10:14 PM   #11
Runecaster
A Labyrinthine Mind

portfolio
Lizzie Bailey
Charlotte, USA

Keep it up!!

-L.H.

Portfolio

Old 05-15-2006, 05:30 AM   #12
Iridyse
terrified of green!

portfolio
Shreya Shetty
Los Angeles, USA

Yay for rodents The last one looks like it is sneaking up towards something, cute!

Old 05-15-2006, 06:57 AM   #13
pap87
Lord of the posts

portfolio
John Papafotiou
Lighting TD
Wellington, New Zealand

That grey squirrel looks really good!
How come one of the pictures has disappeared, is it because of the nudity?
Anyhow, you've already improved greatly!
Keep it up!

Old 05-15-2006, 09:25 PM   #14
Maladie
Digitally Challenged

Rinske Verberg
Utrecht, Netherlands

More study material. This is the head of a wild boar. I want to use this type of headshape for my critter. Plus wild background thrown in free.

Old 05-15-2006, 10:51 PM   #15
Maladie
Digitally Challenged

Rinske Verberg
Utrecht, Netherlands

Probably too early but I couldn't resist a little creation of my own. I'm quite happy with it actually. I might keep it at this or develop it more. Depends if I'm still happy tomorrow. Any crits or comments would be really appreciated!

PS. Would particularly appreciate crits on the pose and the character.
PPS. He's playing chess against himself, I imagine.

Last edited by Maladie : 05-15-2006 at 10:56 PM.

Thread Closed share thread