ROBERTO'S BULLHORN: Clue for the Next Modelling Challenge

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2006
ROBERTO'S BULLHORN: Clue for the Next Modelling Challenge

• It is NOT organic...
  • It is big!
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

05 May 2006
Titanic, Taj Mahal, Eiffel tower ?

05 May 2006
Mount Everest?
Non-organic models are relatively easier though, so I think the time limit should be shorter than 4 week this time.

05 May 2006
I think 2 weeks should be the max.

AKIN BILGIC
Modeler / Generalist TD
CGGallery.com

05 May 2006
Yeah, a few of us have even completed David in two weeks.
THe only thing is that it's unfair for people who don't have as much time to spend modeling.

05 May 2006
I am leaning towards 3 weeks..
-R
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

05 May 2006
Originally Posted by RobertoOrtiz: I am leaning towards 3 weeks..
-R

good, otherwise ( depending on the complexity ) I won't be able to participate.

- .....the most important things in life are always theones without form..... -

05 May 2006
Roberto, I really think it should be two weeks.
First of all, the postings have really dropped off moving into the third week, I think people have just gotten bored with following the contest and the participants have gotten bored modeling the same thing for so long. Most WIP threads are no longer being updated.
Secondly, a few of us actually modeled David in two weeks, even though we knew we had longer, so that seems like a good benchmark date to me, I doubt anything is goign to be harder or more time consuming than that.
Most of the buzz and excitment lasted for two weeks, and it would have been a nice climax to have had the voting then, instead of having to wait another two weeks.

Last edited by oDDity : 05 May 2006 at 01:47 PM.

05 May 2006
Originally Posted by oDDity: Roberto, I really think it should be two weeks.
First of all, the postings have really dropped off moving into the third week, I think people have just gotten bored with following the contest and the participants have gotten bored modeling the same thing for so long. Most WIP threads are no longer being updated.
Secondly, a few of us actually modeled David in two weeks, even though we knew we had longer, so that seems like a good benchmark date to me, I doubt anything is goign to be harder or more time consuming than that.
Most of the buzz and excitment lasted for two weeks, and it would have been a nice climax to have had the voting then, instead of having to wait another two weeks.

I see your point, and I understand you getting bored modeling the same thing for so long. But I guess that's the price you pay for being fast and skillful.

What are we saying if we cut the deadline to 2 weeks when everyone was saying in the original post that they didn't have the time for 3 weeks. I think this challenge is about the learning experience, not to see who can model something very hard, very fast. I'm sure there are people that have seen our progress on David that are looking forward in joining the next challenge. Two weeks will just scare them off. this is about modeling, helping each other out ( like the way you guys help me ) and learning. Becoming better, becoming skillfull and more confidient.

05 May 2006
Well, why not make it six months then, so people can really learn and model at their own pace.
Having to model quickly is also part of the challenge, and it's nice to get through these as quickly as possible and get onto something new.
More different models means more learning.
SPending a long time on a single model does not promote more learning.

05 May 2006
i wouldnt settle for 2 weeks without knowing what the challenge is.

besides, many of us finished the basic model they started but i doubt anyone can say that they have modeled it really close to the real master piece.

each of us are only tweaking it to a certain level that we personaly think is done. but in reality i dont see many models that really look like the david, except the basic anatomy.

some are really close and some arent. detail and perfection is never ending i would say. so keeping that in mind i think even 6 weeks may not be enough to make a perfect model.

05 May 2006
true, but three weeks (21days) is a good starting point. Part of the challenge also is pushing yourself, so that you don't need 6months.

05 May 2006
Heh, even michelangelo had to stop at some point, and I'm sure he wasn't happy that his model was perfect either.

05 May 2006
im sure he wasnt trying to create a copy of something else, rather create something new altogether. the perfection i am talking about does not exist in an original art, it only exists is replicas. we are creating a copy of something already done therefore it requires as much perfection as possible in the given time. and i think we are way too ahead discussing all this before Roberto even announced the topic. i am sure he is selecting something that is going to be close to impossible to finish perfectly in 3 weeks; same as this challenge.

Last edited by fx81 : 05 May 2006 at 04:46 PM.

05 May 2006
is it pentagon?

3 weeks sounds perfectly fine by me. -that way, it's possible to still have a normal job, besides

-r

Thread Closed share thread