CGTalk > More Forums > Click Here for: > Electric Image Animation System > EIAS Techniques and WIPs Lab
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 05-01-2006, 10:49 PM   #1
Vizfizz
Expert
CGSociety Member
Brian Pohl
Senior Previs Supervisor
Los Angeles, USA

Send a message via AIM to Vizfizz
Arrow PowerPlugins: Dante Team

Please register for this team by responding below.

Previsualization Society - Founder / Secretary
Independent - Sr. Previs & Layout Supervisor

Old 05-02-2006, 03:51 AM   #2
tjs61822
Veteran
Tim Shedelbower
USA

Count me in. Any hint on the type of projects involved?

Tim

Old 05-02-2006, 05:38 AM   #3
Vizfizz
Expert
CGSociety Member
Brian Pohl
Senior Previs Supervisor
Los Angeles, USA

Working on that as we speak. A general outline will be up soon.

Old 05-02-2006, 04:18 PM   #4
richardjoly
Contain traces of peanuts

portfolio
Richard Joly
Professional Apprentice
Montreal, Canada

This plugin has been daunting me for years. Time to learn. Count me in.

Old 05-03-2006, 05:38 AM   #5
sacslacker
Drinker of much beer
portfolio
Brian S.
Rancho Murieta, USA

I'm in... free training and an excuse to use cool particle effects. What more can a nerd (me) ask for?!

EDIT: you'd think english is a second language to me

Last edited by sacslacker : 05-03-2006 at 07:03 AM.

Old 05-03-2006, 01:46 PM   #6
NorthernLights
Frequenter
Blair Burtan
President
Northern Lights Productions
Prescott, USA

I'm listening if anyone has questions.

Old 05-04-2006, 07:53 AM   #7
schristy
Steven Christy
Seattle, USA

Are you kidding? An opportunity to learn Dante with Brian leading the expedition, and Blair looking over our shoulders? Sign me up.

Steve

Old 05-04-2006, 12:09 PM   #8
percy06
Veteran
portfolio
Joe Purcell
worm
Pcad (don't go hear to learn animation)
totnes, United Kingdom

Send a message via MSN to percy06
well i finish my film in 6 day's so i'll have a crack at all even if i need to buy dante

Old 05-04-2006, 07:58 PM   #9
Igors
Know-it-All
Igors
3D software developers
Ukraine

Two men's opinion

Hi, gentlemen

Sorry for OT, but we've a question: what is a "particle system"?

Our opinion is absolute not objective. We never liked particles, all our plug-ins started from remove that "defective facets" from source data of plug-in's child groups, same as non-planar geometry. Really, what a point/line is usable for? Fire/Smoke? We are sure that absolute not. Water? We think only as a part of water plug-in (as maximum). Hair/Fur? Now (2006) it's fully clear that not. Looks like paricles system does all overview, but nothing concrete. So, maybe a "particle system" is just obsolete idea/term from times of CG cradle yet?

Last edited by Igors : 05-04-2006 at 08:03 PM.

Old 05-04-2006, 08:44 PM   #10
sacslacker
Drinker of much beer
portfolio
Brian S.
Rancho Murieta, USA

In my humble opinion, "particle systems" are quite useful for effects work. My experience with particles has mainly been with Maya. Maya has a rich particle system that allows you to emit many different types of particles including: sprites, blobby particles, streak, multistreak, spheres and geometry instances. These particles can be influenced by "fields" such as vortex, gravity, etc which results in an endless amount of possibilities.

Uses for particles are quite numerous as well (in my opinion). With geometry instancing via particles you can make a flock of butterfies, a makeshift crowd simulation. You can make sprite based smoke, fire, even attach Maya fluid containers to particles to generate some very nice self shadowed smoke, tornadoes, you name it. Having the ability to script the particle system via mel gives the user even more power.

To be honest I've never used EI's particles. I did pick up Dante and I've just started to use it. Being that I'm such a noob with EI, I can only provide my view of particles from a Maya perspective.

I think it would be awesome to be able to emit instanced geometry from EI's particles or sprites. I'm not sure if that's possible at this point but I'd think it would be handy to have.

I hope I'm understanding you correctly. I'd sum it up as - I think particle systems are quite valuable to have if they are fairly robust.

Old 05-04-2006, 09:11 PM   #11
Vizfizz
Expert
CGSociety Member
Brian Pohl
Senior Previs Supervisor
Los Angeles, USA

Coming from Maya's particle system as well, I plan to compare the two. Not to berate Northern Lights or Triple D, but I hope to shed some light on how we could potentially enhance EI's offerings and maybe give Blair and Triple D some ideas on how to expand their products.

Dante, from my observations, can only deliver about 1/3 to 1/2 the capabilities of Maya's system. However, what Dante does offer, is pretty good.

Old 05-04-2006, 09:14 PM   #12
Vizfizz
Expert
CGSociety Member
Brian Pohl
Senior Previs Supervisor
Los Angeles, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igors
Hi, gentlemen

Sorry for OT, but we've a question: what is a "particle system"?

Our opinion is absolute not objective. We never liked particles, all our plug-ins started from remove that "defective facets" from source data of plug-in's child groups, same as non-planar geometry. Really, what a point/line is usable for? Fire/Smoke? We are sure that absolute not. Water? We think only as a part of water plug-in (as maximum). Hair/Fur? Now (2006) it's fully clear that not. Looks like paricles system does all overview, but nothing concrete. So, maybe a "particle system" is just obsolete idea/term from times of CG cradle yet?

Particles are our friends! I use them constantly in Maya and they are invaluable. Igors...I hope you plan to follow these threads because they might spark some interesting ideas.

Old 05-04-2006, 09:33 PM   #13
Igors
Know-it-All
Igors
3D software developers
Ukraine

Hi, Brian S.

Thanks for sharing your opinion/knowledges. We are not noobs in EI (we hope), but we are noobs in Maya. Well, maybe not noobs at all, we constantly learning it (it always good to see how this or that is implemented in Maya, so we use it as a "big handbook" - not all should be a subject to copy IMO

Ok, now is a question: several years ago our sons showed us an "intro movie" from a game they played: a flock of running rats. We were really amazed with technical implementation, and, be honest, we could not say either it was a particle system or just artist(s) animated each rat individually. How it's possible each rat has individual (not monotonous) its legs moving/motion? And each one is sticked to surface (be honest, just a plane in what we seen) ? Collisions rat <-> rat? That would be a particle system we could say only "wow" (and learn), but.. who knows, maybe it's just a work of artist(s)?

Old 05-05-2006, 01:06 AM   #14
yhloon
Frequenter

portfolio
yh loon
Graphic Designer
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Send a message via Yahoo to yhloon
I'm in...

Old 05-05-2006, 01:52 PM   #15
NorthernLights
Frequenter
Blair Burtan
President
Northern Lights Productions
Prescott, USA

Flocking is sort of a fancy particle system. Basic particles have rules like gravity. "Some can be bent. Others can be broken." In the case of flocking, the simple ones are things like Maintain cruising distance from your neighbors, Align direction w/ your neighbors, etc. Massive is probably the most advanced implementation. The characters can do things like "listen" for other characters and do things based on what they "hear." Then there are all these action databases that the system can call up so characters can run, walk, climb, fight, etc. and they can transition from walking to running etc.

Craig Reynolds did some of the early work on flocking.
http://www.red3d.com/cwr/boids/

Much of this is implemented in Flock This!

Thread Closed share thread