Maxwell: no animation or motion blur

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2006   #1
Maxwell: no animation or motion blur

Thought you all would want to know that it's impossible to render animation or motion blur with Maxwell for Cinema. There's a small omission for ya.

Old 04 April 2006   #2
not that suprising. sounds like most people have a hard enough time with a single frame, let alone many more.

Old 04 April 2006   #3
Originally Posted by sketchbook: not that suprising. sounds like most people have a hard enough time with a single frame, let alone many more.

True, but motion blur is an important feature even for still frames.

Old 04 April 2006   #4
Adam, motion blur is working for Max plugin. Check over at the Maxwell Forum, a response on how to make this work was posted. I assume it works the same for C4D. I have not tested this feature yet. But I should be able to check it out later in the week.

Old 05 May 2006   #5
Originally Posted by Continuumx: Adam, motion blur is working for Max plugin. Check over at the Maxwell Forum, a response on how to make this work was posted. I assume it works the same for C4D. I have not tested this feature yet. But I should be able to check it out later in the week.

A lot of things work in the Max plugin that don't work in the Cinema plugin. Same as it ever was.

Old 05 May 2006   #6
Originally Posted by Continuumx: Adam...Check over at the Maxwell Forum

How do you propose he does that, after your esteemed collegue Tom banned him from the forum?

Old 05 May 2006   #7
Originally Posted by Ernest Burden: How do you propose he does that, after your esteemed collegue Tom banned him from the forum?

We, the excommunicated, do have "read only" access.

Old 05 May 2006   #8
Originally Posted by nycL45: We, the excommunicated, do have "read only" access.

I don't. I go to their forum and it just says 'you have been banned'.

Old 05 May 2006   #9
You know you can clear that cookie and get read-only access--you're just too stubborn.

Anyway, I think I found the thread Tyrone was referring to and it doesn't appear to have any significance concerning the Cinema plugin. Being on the "A-Team", it might've been nice if he'd actually tested some of this stuff prior to release. I wonder if anyone else on the "A-Team" was testing with Cinema....

Old 05 May 2006   #10
Originally Posted by AdamT: You know you can clear that cookie and get read-only access--you're just too stubborn.

Anyway, I think I found the thread Tyrone was referring to and it doesn't appear to have any significance concerning the Cinema plugin. Being on the "A-Team", it might've been nice if he'd actually tested some of this stuff prior to release. I wonder if anyone else on the "A-Team" was testing with Cinema....

Adam, I would think that since you are a beta tester for Maxon you would be able to see some relevance to the thread I referred to, it has significance. And being on the A-Team, we test many many things, this is one area that I did not have time to test.

Come to think of it, this is precisely the kind of thinking that lead to so many bannings, everyone was so hyped on taking hits at Next Limit, they never thought that maybe V1 would be released, and really Next Limit and the A-Team were working very hard to make this release something that would be good and although the feature set is not complete, we have never stopped working to make sure that the software does become complete...

You can bet that cinemaxwell plugin will be updated in the future...

As some of the other more priority features become complete, I will be pushing animation and motion blur from the cinema 4d plugin as I hear your desire for the feature, I want to make sure it works.

I would definitely urge you to seek to have your access reinstated, the forum is a very valuable resource. But any transgression that seeks to cause ill contempt will never have a place at Maxwell Render forum.

Last edited by Continuumx : 05 May 2006 at 02:00 PM.

Old 05 May 2006   #11
Oh boy, this is going to be good. <Sits down with popcorn to watch the flaming commence>

Old 05 May 2006   #12
Originally Posted by Stain777: Oh boy, this is going to be good. <Sits down with popcorn to watch the flaming commence>

I will not be here to take part in this, it is not good for the C4D community.

Old 05 May 2006   #13
I base my thougts about this on Next Limits' RealFlow Cinema plugin. Cinema always come in as the poor relation with features left out of the plugin or with some peoples systems not working at all (wet maps, camera data transfer, reversed normals). Problems reported last July still not fixed for the Cinema RealFlow plugin.

With that in mind I'm not expecting any significant improvement to the basic functionallity of the Maxwell Cinema plugin any time soon. I wonder if any Cinema user has purchased Maxwell since it became full price at almost $1000?

Old 05 May 2006   #14
Hi Tyrone,

Well well well, where to start.... Maybe you could post an actual link to the thread you're referring too--perhaps it's not the one I saw in the Max forum? That one referred to two options that apparently exist in the Max plugin: object and camera moblur. There are no such options in the Cinema plugin.

What I've attempted to do is render with the motion blur checkbox activated (no effect), and render with the "-animation:x-y" parameter (no render, no .mxs file written). What do you propose I do to get animation and motion blur working?

Regarding testing, I realize that one person can't cover everything unless testing is his his or her full-time job. However, it strikes me that animation and motion blur are hardly trivial features (!!!), and further, that there are a limited number of C4D testers (are you the only one?). Moreover, animation and motion blur have never worked in the C4D plugin, and this has been raised as an issue many times. So perhaps it would have been reasonable to give it a spin it at least once prior to release?

As far as NL's forums go, I would be happy to participate if they reinstated me. However, this is the precondition to that, according to an unnamed moderator over there: "Oh yeah, and you will be apologizing your little ass off if you want back in, that I can guarantee ya." Mmm, don't think so. As you may recall, I was banned because I asked that a moderator and NL employee behave more professionally....

Old 05 May 2006   #15
My point exactly, Becco. All of the issues I've raised here were raised initially at least eight months ago and there's been virtually no improvement in that time. I know of two *highly* skilled Cinema developers who had conversations with NL about working on the C4D plugin. Both of them got the brush-off. Therefore I can't say I have any confidence that the Cinema plugin will be improved in the foreseeable future.

Thread Closed share thread