Texturing Terrain

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2002   #1
Texturing Terrain

What is the best way to texture terrain? What is the best way to get rid of the stretching?

Old 03 March 2002   #2
1 of the best terrains I have seen, was textured using proceedurals. The plus to this, is that you won't have ANY stretching! The artist was a guy named Urgafell, not sure of the spelling, but he does some cool stuff with proceedurals.

Old 03 March 2002   #3
Yes, he does. I had a chance to dissect the texture in question myself. The damn thing has got to be the largest texture in the history of ever made by one person that WASN'T for a movie. All sorts of neat tricks like a built-in water effect that's placed using vertex colors. Urg is probably the first inductee in the sick procedural hall of fame.

Old 03 March 2002   #4
Yeah, Ive seen that terrain, and lemme tell ya it rocks! Pixar level! Im not sure if his name is urgaffel tho, its urgafork or or urgaspoon or something. His name has something to do with dining appliances.

Old 03 March 2002   #5
It's Urgaffel and it's a fork! Thank you for the kind words

Anyway, I'd suggest going with procedural for as much as possible. Probably because I hate mapping...

The problem with procedurals is the rendertimes, when you start getting complex trees together, the times will increase. On the other hand, a well painted texture will render a lot faster and you have more control over the details.

A way to get rid of stretching is by tweaking the mapping using uvwunwrap (if you use max, aka uvw-tweaking). Which can be quite boring and hell if you have a complex mesh. Or use NURBS for the terrain since you wouldn't have to worry about mapping then

Go check out Howard Days thread over in the challenge forum for a great snow/rock texture.

the terrain (large pic)

Old 03 March 2002   #6
I here that Urgaffel can leap over tall buildings... purple monkey dishwasher.

I remember that procedural Urg. It is one of the best Ive seen.

Old 03 March 2002   #7
Damn .. that's very impressive Urgaffel.. Is the tv absolutely awful in Scandinavia or something because the whole area is producing some very impressive artists these days (Trigirlz excepted of course).

Old 03 March 2002   #8
Nice to see some familiar names here, I remember some of you guys from a different place and time! The info you folks provide will be very welcome here!

Old 03 March 2002   #9
yep, that is a sweet ass texture.... very big, almost too big for efficient render times..... a way around the render times is not to use so many of max's internal procedurals.... i can strongly recommend darktree, although this is not to say the darktree is FAST, they are also slow when using a complex tree, but do not as complex a tree as max's procedurals......

or am i just full of shit??

Old 03 March 2002   #10
Man, i want to see the tutorial for that very badly

Sweet!

Old 03 March 2002   #11
"Impressive... Most impressive."

Once again it is proven that I am but the apprentice.

... In other words yet, that's sweeeet. And I too would SO like to see the tutorial for that!

Old 01 January 2006   #12
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread