CGTalk > Techniques > Anatomy and Figurative Art > Personal Anatomy & Sketchbook Threads
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 04-22-2006, 03:10 AM   #1
YMS
Frequenter

Yvonne
Dunedin, New Zealand

Cool Sketchbook Thread of YMS

I'm taking the plunge and going public with my beginner status ...

I've been reading the anatomy forums since I joined CG in early April and have been inspired to get sketching and painting, so have managed to build up quite a few "works in progress".

Nothing original as yet, just taking in the advice of working greyscale and copying the masters.

Old 04-22-2006, 07:55 AM   #2
YMS
Frequenter

Yvonne
Dunedin, New Zealand

Posting an image to see if it works

Old 04-22-2006, 08:09 AM   #3
YMS
Frequenter

Yvonne
Dunedin, New Zealand

Cool

I thought this copy was going okay until I did a check with the original - quite different in alignment (of eyes especially-too high up her face)! I also managed to give her a completely new expression.

I had sketched the face with paper and pencil to start with, but painted this version directly in Photoshop. I don't use a scanner - just transfer digital photos of the sketches into PS.

Old 04-22-2006, 08:25 AM   #4
YMS
Frequenter

Yvonne
Dunedin, New Zealand

Smile

I'm not finishing anything at the moment, which could get to be a bad habit - just making starts and trying to learn how to draw and paint.

I've spent the last 18 months using PS as a hobby (photo manipulation) and now have more of an urge to create with the painting tools.

It was a revelation to me to learn here that working from references is encouraged, and is beneficial, and that some degree of competence with art is possible with a good amount of practice (and it doesn't have to be solely for the gifted).

Old 04-22-2006, 08:29 AM   #5
YMS
Frequenter

Yvonne
Dunedin, New Zealand

Previous image worked on a bit further, but a long way from finished (all good practice, though, and a chance to improve):

These images are coming out too big?

Old 04-22-2006, 08:37 AM   #6
YMS
Frequenter

Yvonne
Dunedin, New Zealand

I've been dipping into the different threads this month so have tried out various photos to copy. April has been a month for getting through a lot of starts, anyway

The only way I know how to work at the moment is to put the image in one corner of my screen then to freehand paint, roughly, about four times as large and zoom in and out, all the while referring to the smaller, original image.

Old 04-22-2006, 08:39 AM   #7
YMS
Frequenter

Yvonne
Dunedin, New Zealand

The latest version of the photo above:

Old 04-22-2006, 08:54 AM   #8
YMS
Frequenter

Yvonne
Dunedin, New Zealand

I came late to one of the recent Caravaggio workshops (reading only) and made some sketches - done with the reference picture on the screen in front of me, while I attempted to use paper and pencil. This was tricky for me as I have been used to the tablet pen and looking up while I worked, not looking down at something "flat" or propped up. Too used to technology

For this face, I had to rotate the reference to make it easier to sketch. Imagine if I tried that with a live model!

He has two right ears and two shoulders as I couldn't rub out...

Old 04-22-2006, 09:01 AM   #9
YMS
Frequenter

Yvonne
Dunedin, New Zealand

Still with Caravaggio's entombment.

Old 04-22-2006, 09:04 AM   #10
YMS
Frequenter

Yvonne
Dunedin, New Zealand

While this version of Caravaggio's imploring woman is full of emotion, she doesn't resemble the original that much

Old 04-22-2006, 09:16 AM   #11
YMS
Frequenter

Yvonne
Dunedin, New Zealand

These next three versions are my latest painting practice (again, yet to finish, and not too much left to do, so I should make the effort - he needs an eye at the very least).

No sketch, just straight painting in PS, and using a photo reference from one of the threads here.

The pose isn't exactly as the reference; just done by eye. I was committed too early to where I had placed his shoe and hand, etc. so carried on as set.

Old 04-22-2006, 09:18 AM   #12
YMS
Frequenter

Yvonne
Dunedin, New Zealand

The fellow gets some legs:

Old 04-22-2006, 09:21 AM   #13
YMS
Frequenter

Yvonne
Dunedin, New Zealand

His head is looking a bit big, now, but his face looks better, despite needing that eye

Old 04-22-2006, 01:37 PM   #14
Rebeccak
Anatomy Forum Leader

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Rebecca Kimmel
Founder + Owner
Korpus School of Art + Gallery
Los Angeles, USA

Smile

YMS,

Welcome aboard! It's really great to see your Anatomy Thread up, and you've got quite a lot of really solid work here!

Quote:
Originally posted by YMS: It was a revelation to me to learn here that working from references is encouraged, and is beneficial, and that some degree of competence with art is possible with a good amount of practice (and it doesn't have to be solely for the gifted).

That's very cool to hear. Drawing and painting from life is also encouraged ~ it's one of the best ways to learn, but I also really stand by the benefits of working from reference. And yes, I most definitely believe that nearly anyone with enough determination and practice can become quite proficient with art. I think people particularly improve rapidly with digital tools, and there is evidence of that everywhere on this forum.

It seems like you have really solid starts to a lot of things here ~ I particularly like this one:
Quote:

Where your proportions, values, and such are really start to work together ~ and I feel as though I am starting to look less at a painting and more at a person. That of course is always the goal!

With respect to using reference, unless you have two monitors (I don't) it's usually easiest
to do as you are doing, or to just have the reference photo up in the background as a separate document. Once you have the sort of big picture laid in and are working on details, if I have both the reference and the painting documents I am working on open simultaneously, I sometimes go to Window > Arrange > Tile which arranges the documents vertically. This really only works for detailing as you won't be able to see your image at 100%.

I'd really encourage you to finish a few of your pieces ~ particularly the latest master copy and the 15 Minute Sketchathon reference piece. When finished, these will look really amazing!

Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 04-22-2006, 07:59 PM   #15
YMS
Frequenter

Yvonne
Dunedin, New Zealand

Thanks for the welcome and the advice, Rebecca!

Quote:
I'd really encourage you to finish a few of your pieces

Yes, I can see that I should and will get on to it.

Thread Closed share thread