render farm troubleshooting

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2006
render farm troubleshooting

Hi everyone!
I have a question about rendering problems, hope someone has an answer.
When I launch the rendering through the network, the rendered images come up with these problems, quite randomly:
1) texture jumping (some or all the textures "jump" as they were animated
2) the colors come out different. In some frames are brighter, in some others they are darker.
The same render machine is sometimes producing both dark and brighter frames, randomly
3)Sometimes, a black spot square appeared on some frames, strangely on those at the end of the animation, when the camera and the object were still.

Now, assuming that all the machines have the same operating system and same service pack, do you have any idea what might cause this?
Also, the same rendering done locally is perfectly fine, so there shouldn't be any prob with the file itself.

Cheers
Monica

3D modeler/3D generalist/texture artist

London UK

site: www.monicataddei.com

04 April 2006
You might like to ask this on an application specific forum. It sounds more like an application specific problem then a net rendering problem. What application/renderer are you using?

Cheers
Björn

04 April 2006
Hi!
Thanks for answering.
It is Max 7.
Cheers
Monica

London UK

04 April 2006
Do the machines have the same hardware config?

04 April 2006
Hi, yes, I think so. I think they are all the same.

London UK

04 April 2006
If you use movies as textures you should make sure that all clients have the same codecs installed.
Cheers
Björn

04 April 2006
Hi! That's an interesting point, but the scene uses just still textures.

Actually, one point that might be interesting is that the textures resided on one of the computers in the network. We tried to move them to another computer, and the renderings seemed allright. Two of them were fine, the third had a different prob: different colors on different frames. Example, even the same machine would render some frames brighter some frames darker. The behaviour seemed quite random.

We also tried to submit the same rendering jobs to different combinations of machines and again the renderings had probs, such as being brighter or darker. Some combinations seem allright, but not always.

Being mainly a modeller, I don't have great experience of rendering and I'm a bit bewildered
I also would like to add that the same scene rendered locally was fine every time, and that the scenes made and rendered from other machines seem allright.
Any ideas?
thanks for your help, you are very kind
cheers

Monica

PS: Happy Easter

London UK

04 April 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread