My Cintiq has a dead pixel

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2006   #1
My Cintiq has a dead pixel

Dammit, 2 days into using this lovely device, I realize it has a lone dead pexil in the upper right quadrant near the center.

Im wondering what Wacom's policy is on this since people will be drawing on these for hours. Its not terribly annoying or casually noticeable, but i keep wanting to brush the speck off when i encounter it, then remember i cant.

I wonder if B&H will except it as defective or not, still Ive only had it 2 days, and shipping it back is gonna cost...

Then again it is a major piece of equipment, and it seems worth my while to try to get one without an anomaly.

Old 04 April 2006   #2
DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE RETURN THE 21UX FOR A SINGLE DEAD PIXEL! My friend did something similar and got a whole bunch of crap and dirt under the screen for the troble (just about 3 weeks ago). Wacom's service center really must have fallen under the pressure of increased sales, because when I had my 15X's LCD replaced (blooming on the edges), the returned it with not a spec of dust under the screen.

Anyways, a single pixel is not worth the hassel and the potential of getting crap under the glass that could be a whole lot more distracting than a dead/stuck pixel (unless it's really distracting like being stuck in magenta or something).

Old 04 April 2006   #3
I considered that as a possibility if the unit would go through a repair. I used to work in computer repair so Ive seen everything from lint to eyelashes get trapped under an LCD.

Mostly Im just wondering if i should push the retailer for an even exchange of a new unit, but the hassle is something im wary of, especially since the 21UX is such a constrained product. B&H may not even have another one in their inventory.

aside from the speck, its a brilliant toy.... i want to comit lewd and unspeakable acts with it.

Old 04 April 2006   #4
I bought my 18SX from B and H because the salesman convinced me that they would exchange the unit for even a single dead pixel back in 2004. Fortunately for me (and unfortunately for this situation), there was no dead pixel in sight, so I never had to test his claim.

Now with the 21UX, the situation is quite different since no retailer can keep the damn thing in stock! I somehow doubt even B and H would be accomodating...

Old 04 April 2006   #5
If you bought it two days ago as a private person, you may have the right to send it back. I I don't know how they handle it in foreign countries, but if you buy stuff here in germany as a private person (not a company) you can send it back and cancel the purchase without a reason. So if that is the case, send it back and buy a new one.

Old 04 April 2006   #6
well, it may not be the only problem, sucks that I used to test LCDs all the time..

If i arrange it so the cintiq has a solid black background from edge to edge, you can see ripples and haloing in the edge of the LCD, a fairly common problem in LCD manufacture where its being pressed very tightly. You can really only notice it if the display if filled with black or a near black color. easy enough to fix by reseating the LCD and adjusting the pressure of the casing around it... but since you mentioned the risk of debris being caught under the LCD, having it serviced seems risky now. The problem, as it were, is compounded by the fact b&h is going on a week vaccation the 12th and has none in stock right now. It seems my options are, return the unit out right as defective, and get credit for a new one after they reopen the 21st.... or live with the issues for now until a month or two from now when the product isnt constrained anymore and Wacom's repair center isnt rushing repairs.

Old 04 April 2006   #7
A really radical idea might be to call the company and ask them about their return and exchange policy.
They'd probably be able to give you a good idea of how the situation can be handled. Better than anybody here, anyway.

That sucks about the pixel though, it looks like a sweet piece of hardware. Good luck, I hope they exchange it.

Art

Old 04 April 2006   #8
well the situation is nicely resolved, b&h was very cool, gave me an RMA, and theyre basically allowing me to keep it until they have new stock after they reopen. gives me time to work with it and get some feedback from Wacom.

Old 04 April 2006   #9
I also had a dead pixel but it's near the clock so i don't really notice. but did you get any grey spots? i can even see it when the monitr is not on, do you have this problem too?

Old 04 April 2006   #10
yea i have grey spots , little dots that dont come off no matter what you do. but they are pretty small so i dont mind.

Old 04 April 2006   #11
ok, glad(or not?) to hear that I'm not the only one with this problem.

Old 04 April 2006   #12
Dont forget... the new Cintiq you get could have two or more dead pixels.

AKIN BILGIC
Modeler / Generalist TD
CGGallery.com

Old 04 April 2006   #13
that why its nice to have the time to meditate on returning it

Old 04 April 2006   #14
one dead pixel is not a big deal really , is it really worth going through the hassle of returning it and waiting possibly a month or more for a new one?

Old 04 April 2006   #15
Originally Posted by KreatorOvWorldz: well the situation is nicely resolved, b&h was very cool, gave me an RMA, and theyre basically allowing me to keep it until they have new stock after they reopen. gives me time to work with it and get some feedback from Wacom.

I think the only logical course of action is to call this a lost cause. You can kindly send it to my offices so I can dispose it properly.

Heh, just kidding . . . I only wish

That's really nice to hear that b&h was so accommodating. Concidering the type of products b&h sells, and the shear volume that they must be dealing with I'm sure they have a lot of claims similar to yours. It's good to know that they weren't stand-offish. I really hope everything works out for the best.

"Not all who wander are lost."
~ J.J.R. Tolkien ~

Last edited by bleumoon : 04 April 2006 at 08:09 PM.

Thread Closed share thread