As Time Goes By..., Patrick Duff (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2007
As Time Goes By..., Patrick Duff (3D)

Title: As Time Goes By...
Name: Patrick Duff
Software: Maya, mental ray, Photoshop

I used Maya, mental ray, and Photoshop to create this image. This is the first piece I've submitted to the CGTalk Galleries. Any critique at all would be very helpful.

I decided on the pocket watch because I like old, beat-up things that people might have once valued, but are now pretty much forgotten.

Again, please let me know what you think. Thanks.

07 July 2007
looks simple but effective
one crit tho
DOF looks kinda strong but for some strange reason i like it on this image

cheers
3*

07 July 2007
Awesome...

...textures and lighting, my only critique is the glass itself. It lacks specularity and refraction/reflection, and the scratch isn't convincing enough by itself. Without that scratch it wouldn't even seem to be there at all? Other than that, it's just fine!

07 July 2007
Thanks for the replies guys. I kind of see what you mean about the glass. That's why I put the scratch and the fingerpring; the glass is giving me alot of trouble.

As for the depth of field, I just blurred it in Photoshop. Overall, I'm pretty happy with how the image turned out. Of course, it needs little tweaks, but what are you gonna do?

Thanks again.

07 July 2007
I'm curious...

...if you're using just a transparent Maya shader, or if you're using the dielectric material? Refraction can play a large part as well in making glass look "realistic". Perhaps duplicate the glass, and offset it by a barely visible amount to give it thickness? There are a couple of ways to tweak it, but the lighting really does look perfect otherwise.

As for the DoF, did you use the Z-depth channel? It's pretty easy to use once you get the hang of it, but in my opinion the DoF looks just fine how it is!

07 July 2007
Actually, I was gonna ask about that. How do you use a Z-Depth pass for DoF? If you could even point me in the direction of a tutorial if you don't have the time to explain that would be great. Thanks.

Edit: BTW, the glass shader is just a blinn.

Last edited by PDuff : 07 July 2007 at 11:47 PM.

07 July 2007
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread