Something making noise in my computer

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2002   #1
Something making noise in my computer

There is something that is making noise inside my computer. it is intermitent, seems more prodominate when under load, but it could be my imagination. When I take off the side panel it will go away making it difficult to pinpoint. any sugestions on how to find it and how to fix it?

Old 12 December 2002   #2
Re: Something making noise in my computer

Quote: Originally posted by kwshipman
There is something that is making noise inside my computer. it is intermitent, seems more prodominate when under load, but it could be my imagination. When I take off the side panel it will go away making it difficult to pinpoint. any sugestions on how to find it and how to fix it?

That syncs with your [variable] fans going faster (while under load/activity).

Maybe your side panel is a bit loose causing it to vibrate, a silly guess not knowing your case setup and all.

Old 12 December 2002   #3
Probably should have given some specs first, huh?

1 - 120mm adjustable fan in the front
1 - 80mm fan on the side
2 - 80mm fan on the back
Volcano 7 heatsink with variable speed fan - I think this is the cause but cant find proof

Other thoughts, I have heard of videocard fans rubbing on the card, has anyone experienced this, MSI gForce 4 ti4200

For a while I thought that it was my HD, but recently I have noticed the light doing a lot of activity without a change in sound.

Checked the side pannel as you suggested everything seems tight

Old 12 December 2002   #4
leave the cover off your case. if the noise stops thats the problem. and do same with side panel don't clip it in. if it stops making noise then u know you haven't clipped it in properly. otherwise test your hardware its either fan or harddrive is on the blink. i've never had a hardrive last more than 2 years. the one i'm running now has lasted a year so we'll see.

Old 12 December 2002   #5
mice

Old 12 December 2002   #6
I have an intermittent buzzing coming from my system from time to time also. In my case,it's dust buildup on the fans/heatsinks ... blasting it all with canned air helps in my case, you might want to try that on yours.

Old 12 December 2002   #7
Is there a way to run the heatsink fan at a constant speed? If temperatures are in an acceptable range you may not need variable speed.

Old 01 January 2006   #8
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread