OT: More Maxwell Gossip :)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2006
OT: More Maxwell Gossip :)

An interesting read here: http://www.cgarena.com/archives/int.../interview.html

03 March 2006
Now how to get that guy hooked on CINEMA for the next port?

Cheers
Björn

03 March 2006
Originally Posted by Srek: Now how to get that guy hooked on CINEMA for the next port?

Cheers
Björn

Try writing to him on company stationary, ask. If he's spent three years defending a lawsuit, I would think he would welcome a new, positive challenge.

03 March 2006
Wow, they really have nice things to say about Next Limit! Doesn't sound like they will be invited to the Christmas party.

Sounds like a great little plugin though ...

03 March 2006
Wow ! That was a bit of bitch
Not only do Next Limit screw there customers
there employees too.
I'm sure if that link is on the maxwell forums it won't last long.

Besides that, good on these guys, 3dglu looks great, now if they
make there own Maxwell render we would have a great renderer
and great support.
Good to see them bring 3dglu to XSI.

cheers

AKA Javadevil
Duncan H

03 March 2006
The thread lasted almost an hour at the NL forums before it was locked and the content deleted. I was very surprised it lasted that long. The guy who posted it got his "first warning", meaning he will be banned if he does something NL doesn't like again. I'm sure he'd have been banned straightaway if he didn't own 120 Maxwell licenses (poor bastard).

03 March 2006
i would be happy owning 120 maxwell licenses... i really dont get you guys.

by the way i dont believe this guy more than anybody else. it is really not up to us -having no first hand information, to judge here who is right.

fact is it is "a la mode" to bash nextlimit these days, and forgeting they developed a really nice renderer, it is late , yes...

... but so is brazil2, so is final render stage2 for maya and max, so is vray 1.5, so is modo2.01 etc

and yes they are also not the only one having strange support(see 3dmax,maya, final render, audodesk, archicad, adobe, apple, ms....

you are all spoiled by maxon i guess;-)

my2cent
stefan

03 March 2006
Originally Posted by lllab:

Stefan

On that we can easily agree.

Maxon makes me angry by refusing to let us know what improvements are in the works, but they've never promised me something and then not delivered it. They have also never charged me before they had the goods to deliver for next day. They also answer my emails.

Its good to be spoiled like that once in a while. I really appreciate it. Especially now.

03 March 2006
"Maxon makes me angry by refusing to let us know what improvements"

yep me too...

-...i guess both methods are not perfect, if there is any perfect. i guess any way you do it you will have some angry buyers. i understand maxon and i understand nextlimit.

i personally would prefer being able to buy a beta cinema4d v10 already and playing with it- to be honest. at least i could somehow guess/know what will be the future of cinema, to be able to make plans, maybe even help to make it better.

same for me for maxwell: it could be all secret under nda's until know- nobody would know it - nobody would have reason to complain- but would you really like this? iam very, very happy to be able to to know maxwell now, before it is a finished product.

i know most of you see it different, but thats "my 2 cent"

cheers
stefan

03 March 2006
Originally Posted by lllab: i personally would prefer being able to buy a beta cinema4d v10 already and playing with it- to be honest. at least i could somehow guess/know what will be the future of cinema, to be able to make plans, maybe even help to make it better.

afaik that wouldn't work simply because of the german law that forces a company to provide support for a product, or something along these lines. and can you imagine how hard it would be to provide support for beta software.

my 2 cents

cheers,
Bob

03 March 2006
Originally Posted by bobtronic: afaik that wouldn't work simply because of the german law that forces a company to provide support for a product, or something along these lines. and can you imagine how hard it would be to provide support for beta software.

Correct on both accounts, additionaly the sales of the earlier product would drop even though you can't be sure to finish the next version nearly in time. Also you would have a tremendous additonal organisational heap of work that would need to be paid for.
Then imagine that you have features in the beta version that don't make it in the final version. This is a sure way to disgruntle customers.
Nope, releasing betas is not an option imo.
Cheers
Björn

03 March 2006
Originally Posted by lllab: i know most of you see it different, but thats "my 2 cent"

Since things seem more civil here at cgtalk, I'll add my two cents as well. Illab, I'm not sure many disagree with you about NL taking their time or even changing direction a bit if technically they had too. My displeasure with NL stems from misleading expectations. When I purchased almost a year ago, I received the now infamous "v1.0 released in a few weeks" e-mail. It seems utterly impossible (given the later developments) that at that point in time NL honestly believed knowing all the technical issues they still faced and lengthy development still to go that this was even absurdly possible. It seems to me that two possibilities exist, 1) they are so bad at software developement that they misjudged between 2 weeks and 1 year + (which we know they are not!) or 2) it was simply misleading marketing in order to generate revenue.

I also completely concure about being spoiled by Maxon!

Steve

p.s. Srek, is it too early to start hounding you for v10 hints?!?

Last edited by seco7 : 03 March 2006 at 08:36 PM.

03 March 2006
Originally Posted by seco7: Srek, is it too early to start hounding you for v10 hints?!?

It's never too early. Heck, I've done it already. The problem is, he never gives any! It's that darn consistency thing. Maybe even some integrity thrown in.

Simply put, the experiment of having customers pre-order a software still in early research (and cashing the checks--Cebas didn't do that) didn't work. Now we know better. However the current mess of NextLimit works itself out, I hope nobody ever again thinks that was a good idea. But we make mistakes, the value is in learning from them.

03 March 2006
Originally Posted by seco7: Since things seem more civil here at cgtalk, I'll add my two cents as well. Illab, I'm not sure many disagree with you about NL taking their time or even changing direction a bit if technically they had too. My displeasure with NL stems from misleading expectations. When I purchased almost a year ago, I received the now infamous "v1.0 released in a few weeks" e-mail. It seems utterly impossible (given the later developments) that at that point in time NL honestly believed knowing all the technical issues they still faced and lengthy development still to go that this was even absurdly possible. It seems to me that two possibilities exist, 1) they are so bad at software developement that they misjudged between 2 weeks and 1 year + (which we know they are not!) or 2) it was simply misleading marketing in order to generate revenue.

I also completely concure about being spoiled by Maxon!

Well said, Seco. And that's just one of many *many* examples where NL has clearly mistated (or withheld) the truth for their own gain. IOW, it's not like we don't have any information to judge the credibility of the CGArena article. The article is completely consistent with my own experience with NL.

03 March 2006
I've been very quiet on the Maxwell subject for along time. I realised it was alpha/beta product and I'd wait for version 1. My main gripe is I was told there would be an XSI
version, now they have taken it off the list. Victor told me they would have one, so with
this info I purchased a copy. So false advertising.

Originally Posted by lllab: i would be happy owning 120 maxwell licenses... i really dont get you guys.

by the way i dont believe this guy more than anybody else. it is really not up to us -having no first hand information, to judge here who is right.

fact is it is "a la mode" to bash nextlimit these days, and forgeting they developed a really nice renderer, it is late , yes...

... but so is brazil2, so is final render stage2 for maya and max, so is vray 1.5, so is modo2.01 etc

and yes they are also not the only one having strange support(see 3dmax,maya, final render, audodesk, archicad, adobe, apple, ms....

my2cent
stefan

AKA Javadevil
Duncan H

Thread Closed share thread