Google buys Sketchup (@Last Software)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2006   #1
Google buys Sketchup (@Last Software)

Old 03 March 2006   #2
rock on
now google invades the 3d market aswell?!
love those guys

Old 03 March 2006   #3
Looks like they're going to use it for google earth... give people a simple enough tool to reconstruct their own house.

Old 03 March 2006   #4
I'm waiting for:

Google buys Autodesk!

Old 03 March 2006   #5
Wow!!

I got to try it out last summer but never really had the time to get into it. This is about to get interesting...

Old 03 March 2006   #6
SketchUp has been a main tool in my toolbox for years - Google is not going to tamper with the great 3D tool it is, and that's pretty much all we could get out of the people in Boulder (talked with them earlier today).
The Google Earth connection, though, is not that far fetched: The (now former) @Last crew got to know the Googlers while writing a Google Earth plugin for SketchUp. One thing lead to another, an now Google is placing a great many resources at the disposal of Ye Olde SketchUp Crew.
- but it's all there in the press release

Can't wait to see where this goes!

Jesper W.

Old 03 March 2006   #7
Does that mean SketchUp will be available free some day? That would be great news.

Old 03 March 2006   #8
By coincidence, I was just viewing a sketchup model in Keyhole (now google earth), and it was very painful to manuver to the view that I needed. Hopefully this aquisition will help integrate the two.

Old 03 March 2006   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tciny
Looks like they're going to use it for google earth... give people a simple enough tool to reconstruct their own house.

3d for the masses...?

Old 03 March 2006   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Mahler
I'm waiting for:

Google buys Autodesk!

Will they make Combustion free?

Old 03 March 2006   #11
It is an amazing piece of software. I know a studio here that uses it exclusively for Arch-vis.
The full version was domonstrated to me just two weeks ago. Very fast modeling with very unique features. Works very nicely with Autocad, Maya and Max. Google may have made a very shrewd move.

Old 03 March 2006   #12
Sketchup has been my main tool for the last 6 months at work, so this is pretty interesting. As everybody said, it's a great tool, although I have many qualms with it. Much of the time it tries to be too user friendly for it's own good and makes things more painful to do because of it.

I kinda hope the new aquisition will create some changes in the program, personally.

Game Assets Thread

Personal Site

Old 03 March 2006   #13
Whaat? This is an interesting move from Google, they never stop to amaze me with strange business moves.. Aw, well, the future will tell.

Old 03 March 2006   #14
Very interesting news, I'm certainly intruiged about Googles plans for it (I hope it wont be left rotting on a shelf somewhere).

It's a great little app, i've only used it a few times in the past though on the demos and there were a few things that ended up putting me off overall. My main qualms with it were the viewport navigation and the autosnapping stuff sometimes just refusing to snap to an inferred axis correctly as you want (there should be some overides so you can force it to go in a specific way, or to snap to a specific point). It would also be better for the addition of some better tools for handling curved/more complex shapes, basic boleans and filling of mesh holes that aren't planar (but maybe more recent versions have that in there).

Old 03 March 2006   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by umfridus
Does that mean SketchUp will be available free some day? That would be great news.

I guess not...

"Will Google make the product free?
SketchUp continues to be $495. There are currently no plans to change the pricing model of SketchUp or to offer it for free."

Thread Closed share thread