CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Roberto Ortiz
Illustrator/ Modeler
Washington DC, USA

Send a message via MSN to RobertoOrtiz
US: Accused 'Grand Theft Auto' video game-playing killer on trial

Quote:
"Closing arguments began in the trial of a man charged with being in a US gang that played the ultra-violent "Grand Theft Auto" video game by day then robbed and murdered by night. "

"Ralls and five fellow "Nut Cases" killed and robbed for the fun of it, Stallworth argued in the Oakland courtroom of Alameda County Superior Court Judge Jeffrey Horner.

After being captured by police, members of the purported gang told detectives that they wiled away time doing drugs and playing "Grand Theft Auto III," a video game in which the main character commits street crimes.

"Nut Cases" reportedly told police they spiced up the game by taking it from the virtual to the real world."

>>LINK<<

-R
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 03-07-2006, 05:58 PM   #2
mummey
I can make gifs too!

portfolio
Brian Walsh
Code Monkey
Santa Monica, USA

Wow! The article doesn't have a single Jack Thompson reference!

Old 03-07-2006, 07:11 PM   #3
havokzprodigy

So are we to beleive that if these idiots never played that game they would of grown up to be saints and never of did anything wrong?

People like that travel down that path no matter what.

Old 03-07-2006, 08:01 PM   #4
Slurry
Canuck Down Under

portfolio
Art Curry
Senior Animator
Freelance
Halifax, Canada

Yes, they were all law-abiding citizens and volunteered with church groups and community organisations in their spare time.

That all changed 20 minutes after playing GTA.

Old 03-07-2006, 08:07 PM   #5
lovisx
professional troll

portfolio
Louis Vottero
senior modeler, rigger
Toronto, Canada

yeah, it's a stupid argument, blaming video games because they used it to inspire their killing. The could have used care bears for inspiration, really.

But I don't believe people are born this way, or that they have to choose a path because that is what their personality dictates.

It is interesting though, to see what murderers enjoy doing in their spare time now a days.

Old 03-07-2006, 09:12 PM   #6
JeroenDStout
Coppélius at work

portfolio
Jeroen Stout
Independant Game Developer
Stout Games
Netherlands

An unconclusive article, but an article related anyway; Pastimes Defining a Culture from The Escapist.

Old 03-07-2006, 09:22 PM   #7
timeless3d
Frequenter

portfolio
travis highley
animation student / course developer
animation mentor (student)
Cincinnati, USA

Send a message via ICQ to timeless3d Send a message via AIM to timeless3d
Anyone familiar with Hitchcock's Rope?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040746/

I just saw it the other day and was having this same discussion. This obviously was an issue as far back as the 40's (farther, I'm sure). This movie is about two people who, inspired by a college professor, kill a man for the fun of it. They had no other motivation other then the thrill of getting away with it. They end up putting the body in a chest and 10 mins later their guests arrive and they all eat off the chest.

The sociopaths are discovered by their professor. The professor had talked about killing less-valuable members of society to thin out the population, to shorten the line at your favorite restaurant. This was all, of course, theory and jest. The murderers used his theories to justify their acts. It was my feeling they would have used anything to justify it, if not the professor, someone or something else.

Old 03-07-2006, 10:36 PM   #8
deadplant155
Frequenter

portfolio
Loren Radis
3D Artist
Visual Purple
USA

"The reputed leader of the gang, 28-year-old Leon Wiley, had a tattoo of the Planters peanuts logo "Mr. Peanut."

oh my gosh, does this mean that mr. peanut leads to murder? or are all peanuts inherently evil, i call for a ban on peanuts, protect our children from nuts!!!

good heavens people....how can they blame this on a video game, so stupid...ugh.

Old 03-07-2006, 10:45 PM   #9
tufif
Mad Cartoonist

Kevin Hammer
Boston, USA

Send a message via AIM to tufif
I know we're not supposed to mention religion on here, but I find it interesting that for all the people who blame god for telling them to kill (like the lady in Texas who drowned her kids) nobody ever blames the church. But if a killer just happened to own a video game system, it's obviously the game maker's fault!

Old 03-08-2006, 03:59 AM   #10
Tibbar
PRO

Everyone wants to take an all-or-nothing stance on violent video games' effects on people's behavior. Oh please, it's not that cut and dry. If you're not mentally ill then you're responsible for your actions. But that doesn't mean that the game had nothing to do with those actions.

Games involving role-playing give people the opportunity to live out an abstract thought or unformed plan. They can inspire an action that would normally be dismissed, either by reason or out of cowardice. In games like GTA, would-be criminals get limitless practice. I agree that most perpetrators would eventually commit the crime if they never played the game, but the video games probably accelerate the process, boost their confidence, and influence the manner in which the criminals carry out their illegal activity.

Once again, I'll say that the game companies should bear no responsibility for a criminal's actions. The same thing for cigarettes today--if you smoke and you get cancer, it's your fault.

Old 03-08-2006, 04:46 AM   #11
Layer01
Confused

portfolio
Peter Soderbaum
Ludwigsburg, Germany

Send a message via MSN to Layer01
it seems these sorts of things only/mostly happen in the US lol.

my guess is its all the video game's fault, and has nothing to do with Gun laws, social divide, isolation/insulation from the outside world or the materialistic dehumanizing profit oriented corporate net that wraps it all together.

Old 03-08-2006, 04:59 AM   #12
heavyness
can't stop progress...

portfolio
Rick Kolesar
Seattle, WA, USA

Send a message via MSN to heavyness
Quote:
Originally Posted by tufif
I know we're not supposed to mention religion on here, but I find it interesting that for all the people who blame god for telling them to kill (like the lady in Texas who drowned her kids) nobody ever blames the church. But if a killer just happened to own a video game system, it's obviously the game maker's fault!

killing in the name of god is fine, they been doing it since time was recorded... jk

didn't anyone notice the part of the story where they did DRUGS and played game? hell, if kids do drugs and play HUNGRY HUNGRY HIPPO, they still might kill people.... and hippos.

Old 03-08-2006, 06:19 AM   #13
pgraham
Render Ninja

Philip Graham
Fathom Studios
Atlanta, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kole
didn't anyone notice the part of the story where they did DRUGS
I stopped playing gta3 when I realized I was analyzing the strengths and weaknesses of real cars I saw in the real world, and deciding which would be the the most fun to steal and take on a crime spree. Doing drugs at that time definitely would have been bad. Not that I've done drugs at any time.

Old 03-08-2006, 06:53 AM   #14
phexitol
hot pixel

hex pilot
USA

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by kole
Hell, if kids do drugs and play HUNGRY HUNGRY HIPPO, they still might kill people.... and hippos.

That's just begging to be made into a sig.

Old 03-08-2006, 07:00 AM   #15
Frank Lake
Know-it-All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layer 01
it seems these sorts of things only/mostly happen in the US lol.

my guess is its all the video game's fault, and has nothing to do with Gun laws, social divide, isolation/insulation from the outside world or the materialistic dehumanizing profit oriented corporate net that wraps it all together.

BTW hows all of the increased crime rate 'down-under', after you guys removed all of those guns, been treating you?

These articles just make you roll your eyes.

Thread Closed share thread