Still life: Fishing Lure

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2002   #1
Still life: Fishing Lure

here it is again i guess it wasnt up to par with the monitors standards.

Anyway in case u didnt see my last thread i am a newbie that has been working with this program for about 3.5 months and this is my 4th completed project.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fishing lure.jpg (19.8 KB, 408 views)

Old 12 December 2002   #2
Very cool!
What programs are you useing?
The shadows seem to be a little too soft but looking good!

Old 12 December 2002   #3
nice render!
pretty interesting!
But i think that the water on the background looks a bit smudged or like it's covered with ice, in my opinion.

But anyways, it's good!

Last edited by tariel : 12 December 2002 at 08:25 AM.

Old 12 December 2002   #4
nice start i think some caustics would help a LOT though, preferably some volume caustics. keep it up

Old 12 December 2002   #5
awesome realistic up until the lure itself and the water being so plassid [sic]. the lure has no real shadow on the rock, plus it's sharper than everthing else in the scene

Old 12 December 2002   #6
LOL @ enuch quality avatar!

Old 12 December 2002   #7
thanks guys

thanks for the replies i appriciate it

wgreenlee1: im using maya 4.0 unlimited

tariel: I see what you mean by the water being smudged out. i was trying to go for a fog affect coming from the water, but i guess ill have to work on that a bit.

Array: im not sure what you mean by caustics im pretty new at this so could you explain it to me?

Eunuchbot: hah like your avatar! i see what you mean by there being such a difference between the lure and rocks. i think i will have to work on the hooks a little. thnxs

Old 12 December 2002   #8
Eh eunuchbot's bot avatar is ok

The picture is almost grey scale, very washed out. Also everythign is very clean, you might want to dirty it up a bit to make it more belivable.

With out a good shadow on the hooks, they look like they dont belong there. Godd stuff though.

Old 12 December 2002   #9
well this isnt maya specific, but it may help, ill try to find some more tutorials:

http://www.cbode.de/misc/tutorials/...cs/caustics.htm

edit:

forgot to explain what caustics are, heheh. Well a caustic is a concentration of light due to refraction or inner reflection. A good example of this is a magnifying glass, one can focus the glass that the caustic becomes so intense that it can burn objects. An example of inner reflection caustics is when one places a ring onto a table, one can see concentrated light in the middle of the ring. you see these things all the time, and a big part of learning 3d is building up a visual vocabulary. right now your probably at a point saying to yourself "hmmm....that looks OK, but something isnt right". eventually you'll be telling yourself immediatly what is not right and how to fix it

Last edited by Array : 12 December 2002 at 09:55 PM.

Old 01 January 2006   #10
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

share thread