The Journey Begins Challenge (3D) Entry: Lucas Gallagher

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2006   #1
The Journey Begins Challenge (3D) Entry: Lucas Gallagher

Lucas Gallagher is entered in the "The Journey Begins Challenge" update: View Challenge Page

Latest Update: Shading (Textured and lit): Phantasm Texture

Last edited by Epopisces : 02 February 2006 at 07:02 PM.

Old 02 February 2006   #2
Thumbs up

welome to the challenge
wish you success !
M&S 3D (3rd Ru.. Up) Hi-Res l Detail l WIP
Journey 2D unfinished

Old 03 March 2006   #3
Sorry for not creating updates, I am in the process of moving and my internet is disconnected. As soon as my pc gets set up will post concepts (I should mention I have not decided on which to do yet either lol). Thanks for your patience!

Old 03 March 2006   #4
Concept Sketch: Discarded Concept

This was an idea I was working on, but then during a search of the other challenges I found that another was using the same Icarus theme, and was farther along than I. I'll be choosing a new subject now, and wish him luck!

Been brainstorming some new concepts, here's one that was funny but would not work (not original)
Little Billy from Family Circus looking down curiously at the start of a black dotted line extending (in a very winding manner) throughout the neighborhood.

Last edited by Epopisces : 03 March 2006 at 11:37 PM.

Old 03 March 2006   #5
hi my friend. thanks so much for leaving the concept for me.i'm really appreciate.but i don't want to own the concept of icarus.and be sure our images will not be same.coz my sketch is not been done.it's only sketch for show the concept.it's not the real sketch.so please go on your process of your icarus.i can see your model is really nice start.i'm sure you can make it so great.I promise you that my image will not be like yours for sure.(tell you the truth that my icarus will not fly hehe) so don't be worry mate. cheers.

Chronominater Project Concept Demo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQX3v3wtknc

Old 03 March 2006   #6
I have my new concept!

xric7: I think this one will work out better in the end anyway, I like the themes involved better. Thanks for the kudos, and good luck---it has great potential, and I look forward to seeing you explore that one.

I will be posting blocking out and color themes soon, but here is the story:

the setting is a young boy's bedroom, mostly blue-lit as if by moonlight. It is obviously well past this boy's bedtime, but nonetheless he is hunkered down under his covers with a flashlight pointing down at a book he is obviously enraptured in (ah the memories). the covers open towards the camera (you know those 'tents' kids make with their covers) and to the left. On the far left of the room, the half open doorway, elements of a fantasy world are almost creeping in and a soft, golden green light is emanating, giving the kids face a nice back/side-light. I do not yet know what elements of fantasy there will be---I like the idea of a faun or other less-menacing creature (warrior ladies are right out, the have become way too cliche, sorry guys). At the very least, mossy grass will be flowing out, and creeper vines reaching for his bed.

Old 03 March 2006   #7
Concept Sketch: Novel Concept

First concept sketch for entry, playing with lighting, angle and poses.

Dontcha just hate it, how when you look at someone elses entry you can give a good crit, but look at your own and you can't see what is staring you in the face? Anyway, any comments and crits welcome as always, the major issues I am dealing with are having two conflicting points of interest, both on the edges of the composition, and getting them within the camera's angle of view without pulling to far away from either (rule of thirds too)

There will be a lot more in the doorway (and in the room as well for that matter), but for now I just wanted an idea of the color schemes there. I may make the light a little more golden, but we'll see how that works with more objects in the doorway.

The pose of the character is a bit difficult to interpret, so I may change it a bit. I might wait until I have the model itself blocked out before doing this. . .the basic posing model I have doesn't show very much in this stance.

Thanks for taking a look!

Last edited by Epopisces : 03 March 2006 at 04:29 AM.

Old 03 March 2006   #8
Based on some crits from colleagues, I am considering reversing the way the door is swinging, so that the fantasy elements are more about to be revealed, rather than the viewer being able to look straight into the fantasy world. Also, I thought I might create many fantasy elements, maybe even a knight fighting a dragon or other classic scene, and then make it transparent with only one light on it, so only where that light falls is seen. This would give the appearance of phantasms visible only by the light of the fantasy world.

I've begun modeling the boy, and will post my progress soon.

Old 03 March 2006   #9
Ooh I like this concept. A fantasy book coming to life. You might want to show the cover of the book or indicate somewhere else that its a book about fantasy. Also you may want to consider that the character is aware of the growing plant. I think this would let people know that he is about to embark on an epic journey.

Old 03 March 2006   #10
Womball: I am considering reversing the direction the door opens, and putting the name of the book on that (as if it was a movie poster sort of thing), sorta as a double meaning (the door opening is the book opening). Good idea with the character, I need to work on some close-up concepts of him. . .

I will try and post new material soon, i am unfortunately very occupied atm getting my demo reel edited and sent off to employers. I know I am falling behind in the challenge, but I plan to come back and finish this on time. Thanks for your patience all!

Old 03 March 2006   #11
Hey there! I like what you've got going with that concept - reminds me of my constant journeys as a kid. Great!
Maybe the angle could be a bit more tilted so the scene get's a more dramatic feel. Having all kinds of mysterious things approaching in the hallway will make it even clearer.
Now, how about some updates?

WIP: Anatomy

Demoreel

Old 03 March 2006   #12
I am back from the dead! I am afraid I don't have much work to show for the past week or two, only a doodle or two (and I already packed my scanner). However, my website is now up and running (shameless plug: see it here), so it is not a total loss. Packing for yet another move, this one to Wisconsin. Anyway, I should be able to put a lot more time into this now, hoorah. Thanks for your patience!

Old 03 March 2006   #13
Hmm just a thought but if the green glow, vines and other fantasy elements were coming out of the book itself, would that solve the composition problems you were having by letting you zoom in on the boy?

Love the concept and the work so far and I cant wait to see more

Old 03 March 2006   #14
Now THAT is an excellent idea. . .why didn't I think of that? Must not have watched Reading Rainbow enough as a kid . . .. Thank Womgoose, I'll start playing with that.

Old 03 March 2006   #15
Originally Posted by Vicioun: Now THAT is an excellent idea. . .why didn't I think of that? Must not have watched Reading Rainbow enough as a kid . . .. Thank Womgoose, I'll start playing with that.

No problem at all, hope it works out ok.
Good luck - looking forward to seeing your progress

Thread Closed share thread