The Journey Begins Challenge (3D) Entry: Vlad Hristev

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2006
The Journey Begins Challenge (3D) Entry: Vlad Hristev

Vlad Hristev is entered in the "The Journey Begins Challenge" update: View Challenge Page

Latest Update: Modeling: Modeling: Inn

03 March 2006
Concept Sketch: Concept Sketch

Here's the final concept (I hope): a dog is kicked out of the pub he was hanging around, and decides to leave, going to the towers of the castle on the mountain, that resemble the head of a dog. I can't draw very well, so this sketch will have to do. The city is going to be some sort of gothic-medieval city, with muddy dark streets and old crumbling houses.

03 March 2006
Concept Sketch: 3D Concept Sketch

Here's the 3D concept sketch.

03 March 2006
Cool concept, you're gonna have a lotta work to do

Noroc si succes

03 March 2006
Originally Posted by lilCara: Cool concept, you're gonna have a lotta work to do

Noroc si succes

hey lilCara, nice to see you again . Thanks.
l learned a lot since the last challenge, and I also have a lot of free time now, so I think this time I can get around and finish the image. It is a lot of work, but there are only buildings in the image (apart from the dog and some trees), that shouldn't be too hard to model.

03 March 2006
Hi,

Be careful to make an explicit image, I'm not really sure we can guess all about the story. maybe try a lower angle to make the towers where the dog wanna go much like a goal, lighting will help to brighten this goal. And a lower angle should make the dog part of a frontground. If U want us to know the dog wanna go to the towers, Maybe, let's get him facing at his goal.
Wish U the best

03 March 2006
The composition feels like it needs more depth to it. The citadel looks really close by! The gothic city will be cool to model. Good luck!

DREAMSCAPE
/ TJB! / M&S
/ Spectacular + WIP / Steampunk

03 March 2006
Originally Posted by Vedic kings: Looking good
Good luck!

Thanks!
Originally Posted by Ni2ko: Hi,
Be careful to make an explicit image, I'm not really sure we can guess all about the story. maybe try a lower angle to make the towers where the dog wanna go much like a goal, lighting will help to brighten this goal. And a lower angle should make the dog part of a frontground. If U want us to know the dog wanna go to the towers, Maybe, let's get him facing at his goal.
Wish U the best

Thanks for replying, I was thinking about that, apart from the towers everything in the scene was going to be very dark. Anyway, I'm still testing around with different perspectives and setups. Like the following setup in the next post - changed the angle and now the dog is going up.
I thought of two ways to make the dog: one in which he's looking at the camera with a beaten look, or another one, looking at the ground with his tail between his legs. Anyway, how would a dog look like after he's been kicked out of his home into the streets, and with now place to go?
Originally Posted by dvelasco: The composition feels like it needs more depth to it. The citadel looks really close by! The gothic city will be cool to model. Good luck!

Thanks, I'll continue testing different setups for the scene, and I'll see how it looks like and what needs changed once I model the buildings and put them in the scene.

03 March 2006
Concept Sketch: 3D Sketch #2

The second setup, changed the location of the pub and the road is now going up.

03 March 2006
Modeling: Modelling: Church Dome

I've started modeling, here's the dome of a church. In the scene only the top will be visible, so no need to model the rest.

03 March 2006
Modeling: Modeling: Inn

Here's the model for the inn from where the dog is kicked out. I might add some more detail later on, but I think it will look better once I texture it.

03 March 2006
Nice modeling. I think that, with your current shot, you will need to use the lighting to put the focus on the dog, as otherwise it would still be unclear that he is the center of attention. You were talking aout the shot being very dark, that would give a number of lighting possibilities. . .

Very nice modeling!

03 March 2006
off to a good start!
nice detailing around the windows

Cheers

03 March 2006
Vicioun: Thanks. About the lighting, I was thinking of adding a light (from a torch, perhaps) coming from inside the inn. That should light up the dog pretty well and should give a cool contrast between the dark cold streets and the warmth inside the inn, from where the dog is leaving.

Stefan_Morrell: Thanks!

Thread Closed share thread