The Journey Begins Challenge (3D) Entry: Michael Crinnion

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2006
The Journey Begins Challenge (3D) Entry: Michael Crinnion

Michael Crinnion is entered in the "The Journey Begins Challenge" update: View Challenge Page

Latest Update: Modeling: Alien body WIP

The Journey Begins

My CG Society Portfolio

02 February 2006
Hi everyone, this will be my third CG challenge entry, although the first only made it as far as one model and the second never even got as far as a concept. This time though I mean business! My skills have improved alot recently in character modelling so hopefully that will enable me to actually finish thisa challenge, and who knows... even win something?

(How i crave one of thos little trophy's under my name!)

I have an idea for what I want to do for this, i'll try and get a concept sketch up later!

The Journey Begins

My CG Society Portfolio

02 February 2006
Concept Sketch: Concept Sketch - A Long Walk

Ok so heres my initial concept, it's obviously going to need some work on composition but this give a rough idea of what I'm reying to portray.

The aliens have crash landed on Earth in the dessert and don't really know what to do about it, there's an intention to have a sort of comedic value to the image which hasn't come across here all that well. They are tiny as you can see and have a loooooong way before they can meet the locals. I intend to improve on the comedic side with little touches like a rought guide to earth manual and other little touches.

There are two main areas of focus the crash scene with our characters and the distant cityscape. Dividing the two is a vast VAST amount of baron desert.

Let me know what you think people... I'm gonna do another sketch i think to work out composition before I start modelling, suggestions on the compostion would be helpful.

Cheers, Crin.

The Journey Begins

My CG Society Portfolio

02 February 2006
Hehe, funny idea. I agree that the composition needs some work, but the idea is great . I like how the one alien is laying there holding his head, haha.

Keep it up!

03 March 2006
Thanks flaming, i'm gonna try and do some work on the composition later today.

Anyone got any suggestions as to what would make this a better piece? Changes are alot easier to implement early on I find!

The Journey Begins

My CG Society Portfolio

03 March 2006
Good luck Michael !

03 March 2006
Thanks Laeticia, any other thoughts?

And before anyone says anything I am aware that the aliens look like Clive in my Av but I won't be using this model although they will probably still look like him. I will be remodelling from the start, will this be ok rules wise?

The Journey Begins

My CG Society Portfolio

03 March 2006
great idea you got here!!
good luck for the challenge

03 March 2006
Concept Sketch: Concept Composition

I think with there being so much emphasis in this challenge on representing the depth and scale that it is important that you consider final composition early. So that is what I have done, I have kept the main elements but tidyed them up using well known composition techniques, there is now ONE main focus, two smaller sub-focuses and a strong "leading the viewer" into the image feel to the composition.

The Journey Begins

My CG Society Portfolio

Last edited by Crin : 03 March 2006 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Sloppy punctuation and spelling as always.

03 March 2006
nice concept. can really feel sorry for those guys and their journey.

03 March 2006
Thanks Makaron, yeah I want a real sense of pity for the little guys, but at the same time I'm gonna try and give it a comedic edge though little details.

The Journey Begins

My CG Society Portfolio

03 March 2006
Concept Sketch: Blocking Out Scene

Nothing much new, just a first attempt at blocking out the scene. The road needs to be wider proably about three times wider.

The Journey Begins

My CG Society Portfolio

03 March 2006
great start michael i like the concept very much

Rendering the universe...plz wait
with regards your neigborhood martian

03 March 2006
Thanks man, i'm currently thinking up ways to add the comdey I want. I've started work on modelling the ship, I think it's going to have go faster stripes!

The Journey Begins

My CG Society Portfolio

03 March 2006
Good Start man, Keep it up.......

Thread Closed share thread