cinema 64bit

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2006   #1
cinema 64bit

Hi to all,
i nead to buy 2 new workstation and i'm not shure to buy new 64 bit processor, anyone have hani experience with this machine in windows environment and cinema 4d.

Thanks a lot

Franz

Old 02 February 2006   #2
i'm using c4d on my 64 bit machine, but on 32 bit windows. until 64 bit windows is more compatible with my system thats the way it'll stay.

http://www.ciconline.co.uk/
http://www.sjleworthy.com/

Old 02 February 2006   #3
Originally Posted by franz78: Hi to all,
i nead to buy 2 new workstation and i'm not shure to buy new 64 bit processor, anyone have hani experience with this machine in windows environment and cinema 4d.

Thanks a lot

Franz

Well, they don't make 32-bit cpu workstations anymore, so thats decided for you. However you probably meant the OS. c4d 64-bit edition is fine, it has less plugins but its fine, just check the other software you want to run doesnt have a problem.

Old 02 February 2006   #4
Originally Posted by STRAT: i'm using c4d on my 64 bit machine, but on 32 bit windows. until 64 bit windows is more compatible with my system thats the way it'll stay.

How does the 64 bit Cinema run on 32 bit Win XP Pro?
I'm thinking of installing it, but *do not* want to install the 64 bit Windows.
Is that a waste of time?
Thanks for the info.
cheers,
glyptic

Old 02 February 2006   #5
Originally Posted by Glyptic: Is that a waste of time?

Defintily.
CINEMA 4D 64 Bit will only run on a system with a 64 Bit processor and Windows 64 Bit.
Cheers
Björn

Old 02 February 2006   #6
Thanks, Srek.
I've got the processor and will have to check further on the status of the 64 Bit Windows.
Like, can I run Win 32 bit and Win 64 bit on the same machine. And how stable is the whole mess.
cheers,
glyptic

Old 02 February 2006   #7
Originally Posted by Glyptic: can I run Win 32 bit and Win 64 bit on the same machine.

Yes, preferably in different partitions
Originally Posted by Glyptic: And how stable is the whole mess.

Very

Cheers
Björn

Old 02 February 2006   #8
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=313217

http://www.ciconline.co.uk/
http://www.sjleworthy.com/

Old 02 February 2006   #9
Strat,
Thanks for the link. Looks very helpful.
I *may* step into it this week.
cheers,
glyptic

Old 02 February 2006   #10
I just recently installed XP64 and 64 bit Cinema 4D. It works fine in normal use, I don't use any plugins really. From my testing it seems to render about 10-12% faster than 32 bit does. That said, there are some issues.

I had been doing just modeling and single frame rendering until this past weekend and everything was working great. I tried doing a small animation and that's when the weakness of the 64 bit platform showed up. The lack of 64 bit codecs meant I was not able to create .mov's or .avi's. So I wound up booting into 32 bit XP to do that. Maybe I could just run 32 bit Cinema 4D on XP 64 and it would work. I didn't have time to try it though.

*Edit - Tested this at lunch. Using 32bit Cinema in 64bit XP does work fine to create .mov's

Last edited by jcarey : 02 February 2006 at 10:25 PM.

Old 02 February 2006   #11
Originally Posted by jcarey: From my testing it seems to render about 10-12% faster than 32 bit does.

Well, now I'm wondering if all the canipshuns I need to go through to install 64Bit C4D are worth it. I mean, a measly 10-12% decrease in render time? That's not worth anything to me.
60 min going to 54 min? Who cares about that?
I render 2 to 5 million poly models of jewelry. Small stuff. Not cities in outer space (even if I would like to move to one). If 64 Bit won't speed my meshing (subdividing/triangulating/texturing with Jenna) and rendering of such things, its really not worth the effort and stress on both my brain cells.
Does anybody have some more positive experiences with the 64 Bit Win/C4D combination?
I tend to render with HDRI, AO, Highest AA and gems. If 64 Bit can't help with that, I'll just live with 32 Bit and the 3 Gig of RAM I just ordered.
cheers,
glyptic

Old 02 February 2006   #12
64 bit is currently not about speed, its about memory.

There may be situations where it can be faster , but more often it will be slower , due to less driver/application support.

But when it comes to rendering lots of polys, there will be a crossover point where ONLY 64 bit will be able to solve your render.

The 64 bit era has had a slow take up so far , but there is no doubt that within a few years , everyone will bew runnnig a 64 bit OS and the price of bacon will have doubled.

Old 03 March 2006   #13
xeon or opteron

thank you very mutch to all for reply.
i have another question about your experience, wath is the better choice dual intel xeon emt64 ht or dual opteron dual core. now i have a dual xeon ht 32bit system and it is ok but my computer shop tell me that the opteron dual core is better solution now.

any experience?

thank you all
franz

Old 03 March 2006   #14
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread