Sketchbook Thread of Zephyri

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2006   #1
Sketchbook Thread of Zephyri

Well, I hadn't started an anatomy thread, as I actually thought I wouldn't have much to fill it with, then once I finished my OFDW 11 work, I collected all my stuff together and good grief... anatomy and figurative art in general seems to be all I do.... O.o

So here's my anatomical diary, as it were. Some background info: I studied art upto A level standard in the UK (upto the age of 18) and gained a grade D (A being the highest). After that, I left school and got a job as a minaturist, painting 1.5" x 1.5" paintings which were sold in america, which was a really good grounding, as I painting everything and anything. The job killed any enthusiasm I had for doing my own art.
After 3 years doing that, I moved onto a graphic design job which I'm still in now, and my desire for art really began about 6 years ago after leaving the miniaturist job. My art education, it seems, taught me very little of use, so most of what I know now is self-learnt through books and looking at tutorials, and others artwork. I started dabbling with digital a couple of years ago, and only started seriously when I decided to enter the master and servant contest here on CGTalk. My aspiratiosn are to one day make a living doing the sort of art I love, which is figurative and fantasy mostly, and I harbour a secret ambition to be an animator but suspect I lack the patience.

And now onto the art!

Some of my OFDW pieces to date:

Old 02 February 2006   #2
And some of the many, many gesture drawings I do on a weekly basis, as a way of loosening myself up, and I also find a lot of inspiration in these.

Old 02 February 2006   #3
some anatomical studies. I'm concntrating mostly on the skeletal structure at the minute, as I see anatomy is kind of like learning a language. You can either learn a few phrases you need off by heart, or you can spend much long and study the linguistic building blocks of the language like grammar, tenses, verb structure, and create any kind of senstence you like once you know the vocab. So I'm starting with bones and a bit of muscular stuff:

There is more, which I'll post once I've scanned it!

Old 02 February 2006   #4
Talking

Zepyhri,

Great to see this! Some really fantastic work! Will be definitely looking forward to seeing your updates.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 02 February 2006   #5
If this is a bit all over the place, I apologise, I've never been what you'd term 'methodical'.

Some of the head and face studies, in varying styles. I love drawings faces, it's what I started with, so i've had a good four years practising this sort of stuff.

Some 'animator' type head sketches of characters from a novel of mine:

(with some hand practice.. i hate hands!!)

Some more realistic ones, in pencil, no references, just imagination:

and a study in using solid balcks and whites and a touch of grey in creating volume and mass, all photo references, aside from the spiky collar (my own personal touch)

And a very recent piece, still in progress, this is using no reference whatsoever, which why I am so happy with how it's coming out, as it shows how much I'm learning:

Last edited by Zepyhri : 02 February 2006 at 01:52 PM.

Old 02 February 2006   #6
And to finish for now, just some other examples of figurative art of mine:

photo reference used for the pose

a combination of about three photos used for the pose.

Above was done with a wooden mannakin for reference

Some photo reference used for the muscular structure on the demon.

And finally, a self portrait, with a rather hunky red beastie:

Yikes, hope that not too much! I'll try to keep this as upto date as I can, and look forward to being able to interact with everyone.

Last edited by Zepyhri : 02 February 2006 at 02:02 PM.

Old 02 February 2006   #7
Thanks Rebecca, definitely looking forward to being able to keep a anatomy diary, and finally having some time to contribute to others threads too.

Old 02 February 2006   #8
Very nice work Zepyhri, keep it up!
~Skurai

"you can't see until you learn how to open your eyes"

Old 02 February 2006   #9
Talking

WOW, lots of great work here! A very promising thread, indeed. What are some of your major influences artistically?

Cheers,

~Rebecca

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 02 February 2006   #10
Whee Sam, very happy to see you creating one of these threads let the awesomeness commence!

Old 02 February 2006   #11
Skurai: Thank you! I will!
Rebecca: Crikey, artistic influences.. I'm influenced by anything and everything, and I love trying out new styles. I'd say Brom, Vallejo and Cleavenger influenced heavily the style and subject of my art, but I love old masters like Titian, Caravaggio, Delacroix, Rembrandt, Bougereau - I'm a sucker for any kind of mythical paintings. More recently, Alphonse Mucha, Yoshitaka Amano, Linda Bergkvist and the animated works of Yoshiaki Kawajiri (Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust and Ninja Scroll) have really made me sit back and think about style and light and colour.
Elsie: Thanks... me too! Shall be coming to lurk in your thread soon...

Old 02 February 2006   #12
Wow Zepyhri your pics just keep getting better & better. Nice Kain sketches too

Old 02 February 2006   #13
Hi....SPIRIT WIND...

FANTASTIC....really enjoy seeing it all together in one place....always loved that snow leapard.
Your linework and drafsmanship are GREAT...along with your painting technique and colors...
A real pleasure seeing that imagination of yours at work and play.
Can't wait to see what springs from it next.

TAKE CARE
Glenn

Last edited by SpiritDreamer : 02 February 2006 at 06:31 PM.

Old 02 February 2006   #14
wow u kow i only saw that 'devil take her' from u before and it was like a bit over avarage
stuff, but hey these are amazing works

Old 02 February 2006   #15
Wow! Real Nice fantasy art and pencil sketches. Amazing.
MY DEVIANT ART- click here

Thread Closed share thread