Combustion 3d Perspective Viewport PAN

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2002   #1
Question Combustion 3d Perspective Viewport PAN

hi all

can anybody tell me how to pan in the 3d-perspective viewport itself?

now when i use the little hand icon it just moves the viewport-window around, but i want actually to move in the scene itself. i hope you know what i mean.

let me know asap. thanks much!

Old 12 December 2002   #2
you have to change the >> camera view -> perspektive view
Attached Images
File Type: gif combustion.gif (4.0 KB, 128 views)

Old 12 December 2002   #3
thanks but you didnt understand my question.

please read again.

i was asking how to pan in the 3d-viewport, because the little-hand-icon only moves the entire footage-window and not the scene inside the window itself.

Old 12 December 2002   #4
you have to change the >> camera view -> perspektive view

and choose the pan tool (the world as shown in my image)

or do you want to animate the pan? than you have to set
keyframes for the camera

Old 12 December 2002   #5
i know that.

but it pans the whole window-viewport and not the scene itself! i want to pan the scene like in a 3d-program. but i guess combustion is not able to do that.

Old 12 December 2002   #6
To pan 'the entire scene' you either have to select everything & move it, parent everything to a null object & move that - or, far easier, & what I think eudamonie is getting that - just move the camera... Are you just trying to look at a certain area, or are you trying to animate a camera move? Perhaps if you explain what you are trying to acheive it might be clearer about what you mean by pan?

Old 12 December 2002   #7
yes, i want to pan the entire scene within the camera. what a shame it's not possible to do a real scene-pan like in a 3d program.

thanks anyway

Old 12 December 2002   #8
I still dont get what you mean, how is panning (ie moving) a camera in Combustion different from panning a camera in a 3D program like, say, Max? :

Old 12 December 2002   #9
read the manual

Old 12 December 2002   #10
well, i have no idea why...
when i click on the hand-icon and want to pan the scene it moves the entire viewport and the video-resolution window moves off and i see the grey off-area.

Old 12 December 2002   #11
The hand icon, as you describe physically moves the viewport around the screen... Lets say you are zoomed in 500% into the image, the hand icon allows you to move the image around from one corner to another for example......

To Pan in the 3D environment, there is no control that does this but their is a workaround..... In the viewport menu, you have got a few choice.... Camera, perspective, layerview and I think its called object view.....

This "Object" view allows you to use any object in your composition as a dummy camera so if you were to assign the viewport to look through the Dummy camera, you could transform the X-axis of the dummy object to give you your panning, tracking etc.......

Splice...

Old 12 December 2002   #12
You are right Xmb,
The manual says you can make tilt, zoom and pan to your view in 3d space but when you like to pan in this "3d space", you see that you can not. The other problem is, in perpective view you have an invisible center point (like pivot) in between your camera and your layers. Whatever you make tilt or zoom (no pan), Combustion uses always this pivot point like the center of your axe and makes the movement around it and you can nott change the position of this pivot point... :annoyed:

Old 12 December 2002   #13
maybe this will help you. There is a tutorial that ships with combustion 2 called "build a composite in 3d space". the camera pan is one of the first things to do in this tutorial. I hope this helps.

Old 12 December 2002   #14
I read the tutorial very carrefully. But I cant see anything about panning in perspective view (specialy in subject named Examine the Composite in Perspective View).
I think there is a misunderstanding between us. As you know "The Camera Pan" is the horizontal circular movement of the image gate of the camera. If you like to make a pan with the camera, simply you turn it in horizontal axis over the tripod head. C2 perfectly makes this movement in virtual 3d environment. But "The Perspective View Pan" is like taking the view and pull it horizontally (3d Max is a good exemple how it works the perspective view pan). If you make attention to the "Examine the Composite in Perspective View" section of the tutorial, they talk about only the perpective zoom and rotate not the pan. So unfortunatly in Perspective View there is no Pan tool:thumbsdow

Old 12 December 2002   #15
Select the Camera. Select the Arrow tool. Click and drag around the Camera view to pan the camera side to side and up and down.

Edit: Oops, my bad. Forgot this was about Perspective view. Doh!

Last edited by dannyngan : 12 December 2002 at 04:19 AM.

Thread Closed share thread