a tiny but very disturbing detail in photoshop!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2006   #1
a tiny but very disturbing detail in photoshop!

When you klick on a layer to start painting on it, lets say you want to undo the first thing you do in that layer then photoshop changes back to the layer you used before by itself! Is there a way to turn this off? Im very angry with that stupid little detail right now! Ive messed up alot of work by painting in the wrong layer becouse of this... If anyone knows how to get rid of this anoying function im very greatfull if you share!

Old 02 February 2006   #2
I click on a new layer, I make a brush stroke on that layer, I press Ctrl+Z (undo) and I'm still on the same layer. Am I missing something FrozZT?

Old 02 February 2006   #3
i found the problem... i always use Ctrl+Alt+Z which you can use to go back multiple steps, instead of Ctrl+Z which only undo/redo one action.. The option i used is the "step backwards" function therfore it also jumps back to the previous layer. I guess ill have to live with it while using that function insted of the undo/redo function.. :/

Thanks alot anyway!

Old 02 February 2006   #4
Yep, that happens to me too. I've learned to ignore it. . . it almost drove me nuts for a while though.

Old 02 February 2006   #5
Yup, it's annoying all right. It used to cause me a lot of frustration--a lot of my early paintings have poor layer organization because I would alt-ctrl-z a stroke and start painting again, but Photoshop would return to the layer I was on previously. There's no fix that I'm aware of. :( You just have to be careful.

Old 07 July 2006   #6
Unhappy

I find this problem infuriating, especially when using a tablet and 30+ layers :(
Adobe basically broke the undo function and there's no plans for a fix/change to this 'feature' - and no ones complaining about it!

Is this how all future versions of PS will function?

Old 07 July 2006   #7
FrozZT
I am new and newish to PS, but is it not easier to use the history pallet to go back multiple steps or are you trying to delete a particular stoke in the middle some where?
I have not used the shortcut you mentioned. Ctrl Alt Z
New Blog

Old 07 July 2006   #8
It's a bit of a weird system, but I've been using it for so long I guess I don't think twice about it. Always hit Ctrl+Z for the first undo. If you need to go further back, then use Ctrl+Alt+Z.

Remember that undo is Ctrl+Z. If you're hitting Ctrl+Alt+Z, you're giving Photoshop the wrong command.

Old 07 July 2006   #9
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread